PDA

View Full Version : SBT issues

jaym481
24-09-2014, 19:48
I need a little (maybe a lot) of help. I'm finding it more and more difficult to figure out this computer music stuff. It seemed to work fine when I first set the Squeezebox Touch up - streamed radio, CD rips and a few hi-rez files with no issues at all. Now all I can get is the radio streams. CD rips and the hi-rez files are unlistenable due to dropouts. I can't figure out where the problem lies.

I know the first question is going to be associated equipment - the SBT streams wirelessly from a BT broadband hub, with the music on an iMac in another room, also connected wirelessly. The only changes to that configuration since the last time it worked are to the network itself. I originally have (still have) a Mac Time Capsule Airport base station, and a pair of Express boxes extending the network through the flat. The SBT originally connected to that network, but when BT "upgraded" my router for the new broadband, I started having issues with wireless reception, and the SBT completely lost the plot. I managed to get it to connect directly to the router, and finally got the radio streams to work, but the rest of it is pants.

Any help, preferably decribed simply, in crayon, would be appreciated.

NRG
24-09-2014, 21:40
I suspect it's a channel conflict issue with the BT router. I use a Home Hub 2 and 3 and the default 'intelligent' mode for selecting the best interference free channel seems to rarely work. Download insider for windows or kisMAC for the err...Mac :)

Both will scan your house (use on laptop or macbook near the SBT) and log all the available wifi points and their signal strength. You may find a bunch all on the same channel that you are using...look for a gap where there are no other wifi's preferably with a free channel either side of it and set the router to that channel.

jaym481
24-09-2014, 21:54
Thanks. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

WAD62
26-09-2014, 10:09
I know the first question is going to be associated equipment - the SBT streams wirelessly from a BT broadband hub, with the music on an iMac in another room, also connected wirelessly.

I'd always recommend that the music source/server be hard wired to the router, 2 wifi connections can be a little unreliable...;)

Markiii
26-09-2014, 10:16
I'd always recommend that the music source/server be hard wired to the router, 2 wifi connections can be a little unreliable...;)

that

jaym481
26-09-2014, 10:18

In an ideal world that's what I'd do, and if I owned the flat and could rewire at will, I'd do it. As it is, I have to live with the limitations.

In any case, I downloaded a wifi scanning app for my tablet yesterday, and promptly found multiple other networks stepping on my signal, plus one of my extenders was on a different channel (still works, but it was getting stepped on more then the main). Switched channels to one that's more-or-less clear of my neighbours' networks and now all is good.

Thanks for the tip. I learned a bit more about the wifi thingy now.