PDA

View Full Version : Mr Angry

Mike
21-03-2008, 15:38
See that bloke over there, the one with the purple face and a steady stream of swear words and spittle spewing form his mouth while tearing out his hair?.... Well, that's me that is!

I've been eagerly awaiting 'payday' next Wednesday, when I was hoping to place my order for a WD Phono3/PSU & a cartridge, so that I can finally dig out my vinyl again.

I now need to find more than ten times that amount of money thanks to the need for a new heating system. Our old one has just been condemned.

I now need a cunning plan and convincing 'reason' that will allow me to go ahead with the Phono3, otherwise it's going to be another couple of years without vinyl thanks to my upgrade plans being blow to bits!

AAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! http://www.wduk.worldomain.net/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

Mike Reed
21-03-2008, 16:54
Surely you mean the boiler and not the whole system? You have my sympathies, because if your expired boiler was an older type, you'll almost certainly have to 'invest' (definitely the wrong word!!) in a condensing boiler because of the regs. that came in 2 years ago.

Whether combi or not, the relatively complex technology is still not sorted, with consequent reliability problems and (built-in) shorter life-span.

They're no more musical than the older ones, either!.

Good timing in this unclement weather.

Mike
21-03-2008, 18:07
Surely you mean the boiler and not the whole system? You have my sympathies, because if your expired boiler was an older type, you'll almost certainly have to 'invest' (definitely the wrong word!!) in a condensing boiler because of the regs. that came in 2 years ago.

Exactly so, Mike!

It also needs to be relocated, old one (including it asbestos flue) removed, radiator valves replaced, earthing 'issues' sorted, etc etc....

:steam:

WikiBoy
21-03-2008, 19:30
Exactly so, Mike!

It also needs to be relocated, old one (including it asbestos flue) removed, radiator valves replaced, earthing 'issues' sorted, etc etc....

:steam:

Forget it and invest in a chain saw :lolsign:

Open up the fireplaces fitted to all pre 1960's houses and use the immersion heater for hot water. Cheaper and much more satisfying.

Also leave your amp on all day in winter, it is not wasting electricity if you need the heat. The valve amp enthusiast way of heating the house :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mike Reed
21-03-2008, 19:50
RICHARD,

Don't know which chain saw you have, but mine's useless at heating water.

SHIAN,

If your current boiler is too far from a waste-water source (eg. sink waste outlet), you should be able under the regs. to stick with the conventional boiler. Both cheaper, and more reliable, if not quite so economical. This is the only opt-out of having to have a condensing boiler, I believe. (they create so much water residue, they have to be sited near a waste-water outlet.

Don't know why your 'stats' need replacing, but it's probably advisable for minimal cost. Asbestos? You must have a very old boiler that goes up a chimney flue. Usually these are larger floorstanding ones; d'you live in a mansion?

Mike
25-03-2008, 23:01
This is the only opt-out of having to have a condensing boiler, I believe. (they create so much water residue, they have to be sited near a waste-water outlet.

Ha!... well it's even worse than that! The new boiler it being sited upstairs but still nowhere near a waste outlet, so it has to be pumped out! More expense!

The valve's all need replacing coz they're as old (there are no TRV's fitted) and knackered as the boiler i.e. same age as the house which was built in 1970 (I believe). The old boiler IS floor standing but not huge, it's roughly in the centre of house with the flue rising straight up through the house and out of the roof. There is not a single fireplace in the house, and it is certainly no mansion.

Four grand!... And £1750 of that is labour!... I should charge for the stuff I have to do myself! Bah! :doh:

I'm going to bed.

In a huff!

WikiBoy
26-03-2008, 00:02
Ha!... well it's even worse than that! The new boiler it being sited upstairs but still nowhere near a waste outlet, so it has to be pumped out! More expense!

The valve's all need replacing coz they're as old (there are no TRV's fitted) and knackered as the boiler i.e. same age as the house which was built in 1970 (I believe). The old boiler IS floor standing but not huge, it's roughly in the centre of house with the flue rising straight up through the house and out of the roof. There is not a single fireplace in the house, and it is certainly no mansion.

Four grand!... And £1750 of that is labour!... I should charge for the stuff I have to do myself! Bah! :doh:

I'm going to bed.

In a huff!

I know a couple of good Polish builders :eyebrows: sounds like someone is giving you the old "tut tut - suck in of breath" shake head - treatment. Get on the phone.

Mike
26-03-2008, 05:49
sounds like someone is giving you the old "tut tut - suck in of breath" shake head - treatment.

That would be British Gas then! :lolsign:

Filterlab
26-03-2008, 09:29
That would be British Gas then! :lolsign:

Surely the largest collection of organised criminals currently working the UK?

http://s560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/random_stuff/BGT1.jpg

:)

Mike Reed
26-03-2008, 09:39
Why on Earth can't they replace like with like? There's nothing wrong with a centrally positioned chimney-flued floorstander. I've had a large Potterton in the past.

Why upstairs? Seems the most illogical place for a boiler; not exactly the most efficient either. Is that heat going to be lost to the loft?

Ideally, your water cylinder (and preferably boiler as well) should be as close to the run-off points (kitchen and bathroom taps) as possible, to avoid wasted cold water whilst waiting for the hot to flow.

My previous terraced house had its wall-mounted boiler installed at the extremity of a kitchen extention. You could see the snow/ice melt under the flat roof. We waited an age to get hot water in our (inside) bathroom.

Our current detatched house has the boiler next to sinks and directly under the cylinder (in airing cupboard) which is in the bathroom above. Result? Virtually instant hot water up and down. Minimal waste of heat and water.

Be very sceptical of a plumber's recommendations; it is as likely to be based on convenience (for him) as convenience (and efficient energy use) for you.

Good luck with your predicament, but at least your present installation doesn't owe you anything, if it's THAT old!

shane
26-03-2008, 11:49
I own a house which is let to tenants who informed me on December 17th that the boiler had packed up.

I called British gas who sent an engineer. He said it needed a part which would be fitted next day. I then received a call saying the part would be anything up to four weeks. (I will happily admit that it was a crap boiler of virtually unknown make). I asked how much to fit a new boiler and was quoted £2000, and not until two weeks after Christmas.

Not wishing to leave my tenants with no heating or hot water over Christmas and New Year, I called a local plumber who also couldn't get the part. I asked him to quote for a new boiler. He quoted £1700, and next day fitting. By 9.00 AM the next morning the old boiler was out, and by 3.00pm the new one (a nice little Worcester Greenstar) was up and running, so I rang British Gas to say I didn't need the part any more.

After the new year I received a call saying they had the part and would fit it the next day. I explained that I had already informed them that I didn't need it any more.

A week later I received a call saying they had the part and would fit it the next day. I explained that I had already informed them that I didn't need it any more.

Another week later I received a call saying they had the part and would fit it the next day. I explained that I had already informed them that I didn't need it any more. This time I was a little more forceful with my explanation.

They haven't rung back since...

WikiBoy
26-03-2008, 11:50
Surely the largest collection of organised criminals currently working the UK?

http://s560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/random_stuff/BGT1.jpg

:)

Now that is funny, you put the mask on its nostrils. Does it have a leak :lol::lol::lol:

Mike
26-03-2008, 16:41
No Richard!

The two upper holes are where the bullets entered after he tried to fit a no longer needed part!

:guns:

Filterlab
27-03-2008, 12:50
Now that is funny, you put the mask on its nostrils. Does it have a leak :lol::lol::lol:

He doesn't have nostrils, or he'd walk around all day asking "do you smell gas?"

Mike Reed
27-03-2008, 16:00
Now this is beginning to resemble the JOKES thread

British Gas are, indeed , a joke anyway

Doesn't help Shian 7, but may make him smile!

greenhomeelectronics
07-04-2008, 11:44
Don't listen to British Gas, as a previous poster rightly said they are the biggest criminal organisation in the whole of the UK if not the world. to see REAL boiler prices have a look here: http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Potterton_Suprima_60_HE_Gas_Boiler.html the average house needs about 60-80,000 BTU. If you need to go to thermostatic rad valves Wickes are the best bet - http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/160061. Polish plumbers should charge a tenth of what BG would charge.

Mike
07-04-2008, 22:25
BFG have been politely told exactly where they may install their 'very reasonably priced' boiler and associated crap....

I'm now a happy man in respect to heating issues.

My attention is now turned upon the mighty 'Post Office'!...... Bastards!

:lolsign: