PDA

View Full Version : KAB/Technics SL 1200 mk5

amandela
30-07-2009, 01:00
Greetings wax heads:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the KAB/Technics SL 1200 mk5? I'm about to take the plunge and order one of these "relics" along with the tonearm damping and threaded spindle/record clamp mods. Maybe a nice cherry plinth too.

Internet buzz suggests that something like the ZU/Denon DL 103R would work nicely with the Technics.

Comments? Suggestions?

Amandela

Dave Cawley
30-07-2009, 06:45
If you are in the USA you might want to buy locally, but:

This is a gratuitous commercial plug, did you see www.SL-1200-MK2.com and the review in August Hi Fi World?

Regards

Dave

muffinman
30-07-2009, 08:23
I agree with Dave on this.
The KAB is a great deck and a real trendsetter.
However, the technology has moved on in leaps and bounds meaning the setup is currently off the pace
eg. The tonearm/damping setup has been totally eclipsed by Jelco/terminator configurations
If you are local to KAB though you probably won't find a better specced teccie at the price

Peter Stockwell
30-07-2009, 09:34
Mine is still Kab'd, but if you are in the EU (EEC) I'd go with Dave's blatant commercial plug, it'll cost you less and the options wider.

amandela
30-07-2009, 21:36
Dave:

Your upgrades look lovely. Unfortunately, I live in the States.

A bit of personal history and system context is in order re: my nascent interest in the 1200. I currently use a Rega 25/600/Grado Sonata combo feeding a Clearaudio phonstage. I originally envisioned a major analogue upgrade along the lines of a Merrill/Scillia MS2 with something like an Ortofon arm/cart. combo.

This move would run in the neighborhood of $8-9K, not including the cost of a better phonostage.

Then I started reading about the 1200, ironically while reading a 6Moons review of the superb Leben CS 600 integrated amp. My thinking is and remains that droves of music lovers, many of whom own quite pricey systems, can't all be wrong about the musical virtues of the 1200.

The estimated cost of the upgraded 1200, with KAB power supply, Jelco 750-D arm (an option I hadn't previously considered -- thanks), threaded spindle/clamp, cherry plinth and appropriate isolation feet would run about $1550/USD. My sense is that the superb Ginko Cloud 10 (which supports loads up to about 22 kilos) would also work nicely (although the Ginko option would raise the system cost to roughly 2K, and this doesn't include the ZU/Denon 103).

My burning questions remain: (1) is an investment in a modified 1200 musically justified, and (2) will the modded 1200 provide a meaningful performance upgrade over my beloved Planar 25?

I should note that I envision my next table upgrade as a final purchase decision. I want off the merry-go-round, but I also want to invest in a well-engineered, well-made table option that provides true value for money. I should also note that the 1200's many audiophile fans seem like some of the sanest adherents to this quirky hobby of ours that I have run across.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Amandela

NRG
30-07-2009, 22:00
My burning questions remain: (1) is an investment in a modified 1200 musically justified, and (2) will the modded 1200 provide a meaningful performance upgrade over my beloved Planar 25?

If I may chip in with my 2c worth....your questions are like asking how long is a piece of string...only you can decide if the investment is worth it and if you prefer the sound over the P25.

Have you heard a DD deck? Its a very different presentation to a belt drive one and can take a bit of getting used to. I'd recommend to try and hear one local to you (I know that's not always possible) or perhaps find a second hand 1200 and try it as standard first....if you like what you hear then you can upgrade in stages and fully understand what each upgrade adds to the sound. If you don't like it then you've wasted few $$$ and can sell it on.....just a thought...

Dave Cawley
31-07-2009, 07:23
Hi Amandela

We ship to the States several times a week. The removal of our sales tax almost makes up for the extra shipping cost.

Regards

Dave

Peter Stockwell
31-07-2009, 08:07

Try a stock 1200 off ebay. You can sell it on for what you paid for it. I liked the stock 1200 enough to retire my Garrard 401. Based on my experience of the Rega P3, I've never heard a 25, I think the performance gap is a chasm in favour of the Teccie. But I would say that, wouldn't I!

amandela
31-07-2009, 21:02
Thanks, everyone. Your comments and observations have proven quite insightful, and more importantly, extremely helpful.

Neal, you are spot on about the need to listen before plopping down serious green for a new set-up. Truth be told, I haven't heard a direct drive table for well over 20 years when I ditched my old Pioneer for the more highly touted Linn Axis. A bit of auditory "re-education" would certainly seem in order at this juncture.

Finding a place to actually here the 1200 is a trickier proposition, though perhaps not impossible.

I'll keep all posted.

Thanks,

Amandela

Peter Stockwell
01-08-2009, 08:56
Finding a place to actually here the 1200 is a trickier proposition, though perhaps not impossible.

Just buy a used one, sell it on if you don't like it.