PDA

View Full Version : Tiding up the CDs

ReggieB
21-09-2014, 17:02
I thought it was about time I tidied up my CDs. I bought a steel four draw CD cabinet (http://bisleydirect.co.uk/filing-cabinets/4-drawer/media-storage-cd-dvd-video-cdrom/bisley-media-storage-cabinet-4-drawer-cabinet-in-chalk-ms4e#) about a year ago, thinking it would last me a while. However, I've ended up filling it quite quickly. So I decided to rationalize a little.

First move was to remove all the CDs I've ripped to FLAC and store them away elsewhere. I then decided to get rid of my compilation CDs. They were great when I started listening music, and helped me find the sort of music I wanted to listen to, but nowadays I much prefer listening to albums. I think a well put together album is something the current generation are missing. The problem with just getting the track you like, is that you miss gems hidden away within an album. Also the whole album experience gives you an hour or so being carried away within one ambient experience.

After that I've cleared myself some space, which will of course need to be filled with new finds.

Best thing is that I feel like I've had a productive day and rediscovered some gems.

Joe
21-09-2014, 17:55
I've gone the other way recently. My wife has decided to put loads of music on her iPod, so as well as the several stacks of CDs in the sitting room, where the main system is, and the top room, where the second system is, there's several more stacks in her office/study awaiting copying on to the iPod.

One mystery is the whereabouts of a Beach Boys compilation CD, which is not in any of the many places it could/should be.

Macca
21-09-2014, 18:12
My CDs go missing even though they do not go anywhere other than from the bookshelf to the player and back again. A distance of about 5 feet. I'd really like to know how that is possible. I sorted my collection alphabetically a few weeks back. Went to put on Sinatra At The Sands the other day and it is gone. I know it was there when I alphabetised and I have not played in between times. I suppose it is a good argument for sticking them all on a hard drive but then that would probably go walkies too.

The Black Adder
21-09-2014, 18:48
All mine are in a big wallet and the cases are in the garage.... Works fine for me.

Rick E
21-09-2014, 19:51
I committed to keeping every single one of mine when I took them all out of the covers, kept the front art, but binned the back art along with the space hogging jewel cases. That was about 2 years ago. They are all in plastic sleeves, and I now have about another 300 bought since that are waiting to join them.
There would have been more if I hadn't got back in to vinyl.

Andrei
24-09-2014, 00:21
My CDs go missing even though they do not go anywhere other than from the bookshelf to the player and back again. A distance of about 5 feet. I'd really like to know how that is possible. I sorted my collection alphabetically a few weeks back. Went to put on Sinatra At The Sands the other day and it is gone. I know it was there when I alphabetised and I have not played in between times. I suppose it is a good argument for sticking them all on a hard drive but then that would probably go walkies too.
Well I sympathize. 5 Feet is more than enough distance to lose something. However if you have been into the turps then you alphabetamisation can go awry. Look under S for Sinatra, then look under F for Frank, Then try T for The Sands. If that all fails go and look at your turntable. If you seem to have a shiny silver 45 single on your turntable then you will be getting warm.

MikeMusic
24-09-2014, 08:27
Ooh Bisley. Must be good - ow the price !
I'd need a few too.

I'm keeping my CDs at least for now plus I don't have time to rip them

struth
24-09-2014, 09:23
I committed to keeping every single one of mine when I took them all out of the covers, kept the front art, but binned the back art along with the space hogging jewel cases. That was about 2 years ago. They are all in plastic sleeves, and I now have about another 300 bought since that are waiting to join them.
There would have been more if I hadn't got back in to vinyl.

A mate did just that a few years ago. I told him to keep said cases etc for a while in case, lol he changed his mind. He didn't, being a mad minimalist, but now bitterly regrets it.
Its a good idea but worth putting said discarded parts in loft for a few years per chance you have a change of heart

Peter Galbavy
24-09-2014, 09:29
All my CDs are ripped as FLAC and stored on a NAS as well as backed up off-site. About 33k tracks. The CDs used to be on shelving where the vinyl now resides and so they have all been housed in "Really Useful Boxes" of varying sizes (50l, 64l, 84l) and the plan was to catalogue them on discogs, put a peelable sticker with QR code on as a link to the discogs release (which is what happens to the vinyl already) and then put them all in the loft. That was the plan. At the moment about 2/3rds are in the loft not having been catalogued as I have had no time. The reason the rest are not up there is that they are in the larger boxes that are simply too heavy to heave up into the loft, even for two people.

I was going to strip the contents from the jewel cases but on review I found I had such a large proportion of singles in card sleeves and others in special packaging that I may as well keep everything.

One day...

Light Dependant Resistor
24-09-2014, 10:06
Well done for getting so many tracks recorded and preserved as FLAC, as its a small file size and great audio quality for music storage.

ReggieB
24-09-2014, 17:35
Perhaps I'm just to tactile, but I like having the physical objects.

The thing driving my electronic collection is how great it is to be able to read about a new album, have a demo listen, and then be able to download it and having coming out of my speakers all without leaving the comfort of my settee. And better than CD quality too!

Saying that, I still like pottering around music shops and pick up CDs that take my fancy.

Rick E
25-09-2014, 18:59
A mate did just that a few years ago. I told him to keep said cases etc for a while in case, lol he changed his mind. He didn't, being a mad minimalist, but now bitterly regrets it.
Its a good idea but worth putting said discarded parts in loft for a few years per chance you have a change of heart

Grant, the only reason for keeping the cases and art would have been to sell them. I'm not a seller of music, as a rule, unless it's a duplicate. Even then I tend to give them away when the wam tribe comes to visit.

I remember how much space they needed. So I got rid of the cases and started collecting vinyl instead.:lol: I've got about 2300 vinyl LP's in just over a year. I cant shift for the damned stuff!

RichB
26-09-2014, 07:09
Mine were all ripped to FLAC then when I had some new cupboards built I transferred them all to these http://www.spacesavingsleeves.com. Around 700 at the last count.

They previously occupied a whole walk in cupboard and the rubbish jewel cases got on my nerves. A few of us here use these sleeves and its nice to have all the art and stuff in fraction of the space. Plus when I do play them they are like little gatefold albums.

I've not bought any for a while as I'm also back to vinyl but there's plenty room for more now.