PDA

View Full Version : Ortofon 2M Red/Blue cartridges with the built in headshell's - 'plug and play'

nickthechef
21-09-2014, 09:59
Has anyone tried these?
Looking to try it out on my Pioneer PL12-D
Any thoughts?

http://ortofon.com/images/stories/cartridges/2m/2M-Red_PnP.jpg

struth
21-09-2014, 10:12
Got a red and it is excellent for the money. You can then upgrade the red to blue by changing the stylus only as they share the same body.

Not bought the whole caboodle but I was going to at one time. They are easy to set up

prestonchipfryer
21-09-2014, 10:23
Good cartridges and the plug n' play is ideal for those who are nervous about installing a cartridge. :)

hifi_dave
21-09-2014, 11:48
I've sold a few to forum members and they have been very pleased with the result.

DSJR
21-09-2014, 15:22
Will the PL12-D be good enough though? For some reason, the sonics are a bit limited to an AT95E (FF15E back in the day) and no higher.. Could be the exit cables to amp and motor vibration breaking through the surface noise can be an issue.

The shell version of the 2M series (Red and Blue certainly) work a treat in the stock Techie tonearm :)

nickthechef
22-09-2014, 17:24
Have got a AT95e at the moment and its not too bad. I have replaced the stock wiring and replaced the audio with heavily shielded cable. The difference was enormous. Basically no noise now. There's a slight motor rumble at very high volume but i am going to decouple the motor from the plate a mount it on a plinth inside the case on rubber mounts so that should deal with that.