PDA

View Full Version : Kavent Acoustics SP310 Class A - A/B Integrated with fully balanced high quality powe

loosend
20-09-2014, 20:32
Kavent Acoustics SP310 Class A - A/B Integrated with fully balanced high quality power supply

The Kavent is a bit of a powerhouse!
50 watts class A, 180wpc A/B into 8 ohm and 300 into 4.

In terms of harmonics, emerging yourself in a totally encapsulation surround type soundstage the Kavent is one of my favourite amps. I've had this up against some serious amps and in many ways it has beaten some really very expensive ones, for instance it lost out in overall bass grip to a pair of Pass X1000 monoblocks but was superior in every other way!

It's so beautifully made and sounds just as stunning.

These amps are strictly American made and contain a huge 1Kva toroidal transformer which is potted.

So in order to get it working over here I've had a fully balanced stepdown potted 5 times shielded 2Kva bespoke toroidal custom made for the job and boy is it heavy! 28kgs heavy!

The balanced power supply is absolutely dead silent, has a gold iec input, is wired internally with silver and uses ceramic fuses, it's also all star wired, with the centre tap back to earth of course for safety.

Hard wired into it is an Oriton AC-3 mains cable which was 500 with a gold MS HD Power Iec plug fitted.

The mp has balanced and unbalanced inputs and a stylish all aluminium remote.

Retail on the amp was 2500 and over a grand extra for the balanced mains stepdown.

I'd take 1350 for it but willing to consider offers, it's for sale cow I need the room so...
Postage is possible as I have the original double box but with weight will be 30
Collection more than welcome from Plymouth.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s396/danhifipig/6715b11bf31adaf9f9af29f9c0ba5301_zps5589c8b4.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s396/danhifipig/09cffbe2bd6bedfd00e589e9cfc85415_zpscaddafd1.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s396/danhifipig/ea18873cc3ba78e947eb9ced67f8f514_zps4052a850.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s396/danhifipig/29b3a696bc774cc11bd0fbb3ec6ab0fe_zps94512925.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s396/danhifipig/7cb1976ba4b56e4edcd0bbbe82da2db3_zps574ce2e7.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s396/danhifipig/4f57dd1957a717c94813ba78f08e934a_zps7b5d0972.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s396/danhifipig/1e31d8e47951d24339b9cf99b9a99875_zps421471d0.jpg

loosend
24-09-2014, 15:03
I'll reduce to £995 which is stupid value for money, this amp would not aound as good if it aimply had a 240v power supply inside, the high quality balanced supply/step down adds a great upgrade.

I also have an identical one which just isn't stepped down to run my entire main system.

Puffin
24-09-2014, 16:32
What a beast! If I have a £Grand I would be very tempted. I assume that the Emille is now your amp of choice. I had the opportunity to home demo one of these in 2008 when they were new (here in the UK at least) I was not massively impressed with it I have to say.

loosend
24-09-2014, 16:40
What a beast! If I have a £Grand I would be very tempted. I assume that the Emille is now your amp of choice. I had the opportunity to home demo one of these in 2008 when they were new (here in the UK at least) I was not massively impressed with it I have to say.
I've had excellent results with the Emille but it has been a bit of a journey to get it sounding right through tube choices.
I ultimately ended up with top flight siemens and Halaske.
It too is up for sale after giving me a few years of joy.

loosend
13-10-2014, 17:44
Withdrawn from sale

steve s
14-10-2014, 14:31
Love the second piccie with the dented fridge in the background .... we can see where your money goes !! :lol:

Steve

Ali Tait
14-10-2014, 14:46
Liking the avatar pic Steve. :-)

steve s
14-10-2014, 16:27
Thought it was about time Ali, they are the pride of my setup after all !!

steve s
14-10-2014, 16:34

So Ali, is that the same kid in your avatar, who got at the Alpair cone ? :)

loosend
14-10-2014, 19:15
That's the dishwasher Steve and its shape caught in the light :)

Ali Tait
14-10-2014, 20:11
So Ali, is that the same kid in your avatar, who got at the Alpair cone ? :)

Yeah, I gave him a knife to play with and pointed him in the right direction.. :-)

awkwardbydesign
15-10-2014, 11:18
I had this round at my house for a few days, sounded lovely. Unfortunately my wife came home from holiday in a foul mood and immediately took against it, so it had to go back. Sigh. Otherwise it would probably be filling my rack.
BTW, the remote feels really nice in the hand, the curved edges I think.

Effem
17-10-2014, 18:25
Heard this same amp in action at a recent bakeoff and was very impressed but thought no more of it until Dan put it up for sale because it was taking up valuable space in his flat.

Nobody seemed that interested in buying it, probably because it doesn't have the "right" badge on the front of it. I tried to get the cash together but no such luck in such a short space of time. Anyway, he offered it to me as there were no takers and allowed me to have a play with it. Massive shame because the badge becomes irrelevant when this amp becomes a permanent fixture in a system belonging to it's lucky new owner, so no need for resale in my opinion. Which begs the question why nobody else put their hand up to grab such a fabulous amp at such a ridiculously low price?

I can honestly say that for the purchase price it is an absolute STEAL in every sense of the word. Playing it right now in fact and it ranks up amongst the very best of them in terms of fidelity, resolution and dynamics. It never sounds forced or strained, it can do naturalness, delicacy, timbre and impact with ease. I had a Krell KSA 50 a few years ago and the Kavent leaves that way behind. I have the sheer pleasure of it's company until Sunday night, right up until I have to box it up ready for the courier collection on Monday.

The same day that Dan gave up hoping for a buyer and giving it to me to play with, a buyer was actually found, hence the courier collection.

It will be winging it's way to our very own Icehockeyboy no less. Lucky chap Craig, you got a total unequalled bargain.

Enjoy.

Bastard :)

brian2957
17-10-2014, 18:27
Ello Frank . How are you mate :)

Effem
17-10-2014, 18:28
Hiya Brian, how's it hangin' mate? :eyebrows:

brian2957
17-10-2014, 18:31
Right doon the middle mate :) Good to see you back buddy :)

walpurgis
17-10-2014, 19:02
Hi Frank. Good to see you're here. :)

Effem
17-10-2014, 19:10
Hi Frank. Good to see you're here. :)

Kind of you to say so Geoff :)

icehockeyboy
17-10-2014, 22:52
Heard this same amp in action at a recent bakeoff and was very impressed but thought no more of it until Dan put it up for sale because it was taking up valuable space in his flat.

Nobody seemed that interested in buying it, probably because it doesn't have the "right" badge on the front of it. I tried to get the cash together but no such luck in such a short space of time. Anyway, he offered it to me as there were no takers and allowed me to have a play with it. Massive shame because the badge becomes irrelevant when this amp becomes a permanent fixture in a system belonging to it's lucky new owner, so no need for resale in my opinion. Which begs the question why nobody else put their hand up to grab such a fabulous amp at such a ridiculously low price?

I can honestly say that for the purchase price it is an absolute STEAL in every sense of the word. Playing it right now in fact and it ranks up amongst the very best of them in terms of fidelity, resolution and dynamics. It never sounds forced or strained, it can do naturalness, delicacy, timbre and impact with ease. I had a Krell KSA 50 a few years ago and the Kavent leaves that way behind. I have the sheer pleasure of it's company until Sunday night, right up until I have to box it up ready for the courier collection on Monday.

The same day that Dan gave up hoping for a buyer and giving it to me to play with, a buyer was actually found, hence the courier collection.

It will be winging it's way to our very own Icehockeyboy no less. Lucky chap Craig, you got a total unequalled bargain.

Enjoy.

Love you too Frank!

In all honesty I took a blind punt on the amp, having never heard of the brand before, but when I was told Frank had it and was really so impressed with it, any doubts I may have had, which I didn't really, evaporated!

Now, hurry up ya git and get it posted to me! :)

loosend
18-10-2014, 10:02
Believe me guys if I had the room I would have been keeping it, it sounds absolutly awesome and has bettered some serious named brands. This is one of those finds that some lucky Craig has took an exceptionally lucky risk on!

If it had a proper badge on it would have sold very quickly for a hell of a lot more :)

Hope to here Ur thoughts on it soon Craig.

icehockeyboy
18-10-2014, 18:02
Believe me guys if I had the room I would have been keeping it, it sounds absolutly awesome and has bettered some serious named brands. This is one of those finds that some lucky Craig has took an exceptionally lucky risk on!

If it had a proper badge on it would have sold very quickly for a hell of a lot more :)

Hope to here Ur thoughts on it soon Craig.

Sadly, the git Frank has it until Monday! :lol:

It won't arrive until Tuesday, the sodding day I have to go straight to the car dealership too, so I can't get my hands straight on it!!! Aghhhhhhhhhh! :eek:

Effem
18-10-2014, 18:47
Sadly, the git Frank has it until Monday! :lol:

It won't arrive until Tuesday, the sodding day I have to go straight to the car dealership too, so I can't get my hands straight on it!!! Aghhhhhhhhhh! :eek:

Aw stop moaning you old tart. It will take you a whole day anyway to undo all the packaging I am going to wrap it in :ner:

Any more of that nonsense my good fellow and I will pop a stale Mackerel inside the amp which runs in Class A so it will smell LOVELY when it comes on song after 20 minutes or so :D

icehockeyboy
18-10-2014, 19:36
Ha ha!
I hate mackerel!!!!!,

By the way, is it a big difference when you run it in class A?
How have you been running it, and in Dan's absence, would you tell me the dimensions of it, and the power thing as well please....In inches! :)

icehockeyboy
18-10-2014, 19:42
By the way, the wife says it will sound no different to her old Amstrad stack she had in the 80's, just louder.

Macca
18-10-2014, 19:47
By the way, the wife says it will sound no different to her old Amstrad stack she had in the 80's, just louder.

Sounds like she wants you to subject her to a blind ABX, Craig....

icehockeyboy
18-10-2014, 19:52
Sounds like she wants you to subject her to a blind ABX, Craig....

She says bring it on.......

Macca
18-10-2014, 19:57
LOL

I've got a fiver on the Amstrad who wants the action? ;)

icehockeyboy
18-10-2014, 20:07
Wife says put her down for a monkey.

Macca
18-10-2014, 20:34
Blimey she's confident. I'll have to lay that off.

Effem
18-10-2014, 20:40
Ha ha!
I hate mackerel!!!!!,

By the way, is it a big difference when you run it in class A?
How have you been running it, and in Dan's absence, would you tell me the dimensions of it, and the power thing as well please....In inches! :)

I don't think it's socially acceptable for one gentleman to ask another gentleman what the dimensions of it are . . . in inches too I might add :eyebrows:

Oh, you mean the amp and transformer? :eyebrows:

Amplifier

20 inches deep

17 & 1/2 inches wide

5 & 3/4 inches high

"Power supply"

Approx 11 inches deep (plus it has a captive mains lead and included the gromit thingy)

Width 9 inches

Height 6 & 1/2 inches

and it is deceptively firkin 'eavy and you wouldn't want to drop in yer foot :eek:

Hence why I will have to pack this unit very carefully for safe transit :uhho:

There isn't an option to switch from Class A to A/B, so one assumes it runs in Class A until it runs out of puff and switches itself to A/B automatically. If you search on the net for the specs, some sites say 50 watts in Class A, others say 10 watts in Class A, so you decide which is correct. I couldn't give a proverbial flying wosname as long as it sounds good to me. I do know it gets mighty warm so the majority of the time it will be operating in Class A.

Effem
18-10-2014, 20:48

Just stick an Amstrad label on the front then and you will both be right :rolleyes:

icehockeyboy
18-10-2014, 21:05
The wife has just seen the dimensions of both units, and is insisting it is housed in the shed. :(

awkwardbydesign
18-10-2014, 21:10
The wife has just seen the dimensions of both units, and is insisting it is housed in the shed. :(
:lol: My wife felt the same!

Effem
18-10-2014, 21:18

She could have worked out the size by the picture without having the measurement in inches. It aint small :eyebrows: (The AMP that is)

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s396/danhifipig/6715b11bf31adaf9f9af29f9c0ba5301_zps5589c8b4.jpg

Craig, you are going to have the warmest cosiest shed in the district :rofl:

struth
19-10-2014, 00:04
Sure is pretty....and big. Reminds me of my my mf a1000. It ran pretty hot too as a matter of fact. It would easily take the skin off

YNWaN
19-10-2014, 00:51
Made by the Chinese company Sheng Ya isn't it (as is Vincent stuff)?

http://www.stereomojo.com/Montreal%20Show%20Report%202009/images/Montreal_2009_083.jpg

Audio Al
19-10-2014, 04:17

I dont have these problems :D

No Wife = bliss ;) = I can have any hifi I like without asking :lol:

icehockeyboy
19-10-2014, 08:22
Somebody mentioned a review, can you point me where?
Cheers! :)

Macca
19-10-2014, 09:53

Reading the reviews after you have already bought it. I do that, too :)

Effem
19-10-2014, 11:05

This is about as close as I can find.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue42/shengya_a216.htm

You also have my opinion of it as well :ner:

struth
19-10-2014, 11:55

Too late for reviews mate:D

loosend
19-10-2014, 12:28
Completely different amp Frank.
Shenya do the casework yes Craig but Kavent have their own preamp stage, the power amp boards are made to Kavent's specification and are populated very differently than the Shenyas. Internal layout of board implementation is different to the Shenya.

There isn't actually a Shenya designed amp with the same specifications as the SP-310 which runs 50 watts into class A and 180 into A/B into 8 ohms.

Effem
19-10-2014, 12:35
Completely different amp Frank.
Shenya do the casework yes Craig but Kavent have their own preamp stage, the power amp boards are made to Kavent's specification and are populated very differently than the Shenyas. Internal layout of board implementation is different to the Shenya.

There isn't actually a Shenya designed amp with the same specifications as the SP-310 which runs 50 watts into class A and 180 into A/B into 8 ohms.

I did say it was the CLOSEST example I could find as I tried to find a review for the Kavent but couldn't. Like the Puresound/Bewitch associations, I didn't think for one minute that the Kavent was a 100% re-badged Sheng Ya, but even so the Sheng Ya one doesn't come out too shabbily either in the reviews I have read

awkwardbydesign
19-10-2014, 13:33
I think the Sheng Ya is a hybrid, with those titchy little valves hardwired in.

loosend
19-10-2014, 14:39
I think the Sheng Ya is a hybrid, with those titchy little valves hardwired in.
Tis that ��
The Shenyas iirc when the lid comes off all surface mount components are visible, the Kavent however has all its components on the underside.

I toyed with the idea of a Vincent initially which is constructed also by the Shenya company but the Kavent seemed to be what I was after more specifically in specs and I had it on extremely good knowledge from another U.S. Manufacturer that the amp was an absolute corker.

icehockeyboy
19-10-2014, 17:53
At the end of the day the amp looks like it got the thumbs up from everyone who tried it, and for my money, if Effem says it was good, I know that it will be! ;)

awkwardbydesign
19-10-2014, 21:05
What we need now is to find (or fake) a bad review just to freak Craig out. :lol:

Effem
19-10-2014, 22:16
What we need now is to find (or fake) a bad review just to freak Craig out. :lol:

That is rather harsh Dick and the poor guy is already on tenterhooks about this new toy :rolleyes:

No. the REAL shock Craig is going to have is lugging these two boxes around. I have just finished packing them up and ended up with some strange lumps in places on my lower anatomy I didn't have before I boxed them up :eek:

By crikey they are both heavy lumps :whistle:

loosend
19-10-2014, 23:29
I told u not to keep ur Wethers in ur pocket Frank, they go sticky!

awkwardbydesign
20-10-2014, 08:25
That is rather harsh Dick and the poor guy is already on tenterhooks about this new toy :rolleyes: *

No. the REAL shock Craig is going to have is lugging these two boxes around. I have just finished packing them up and ended up with some strange lumps in places on my lower anatomy I didn't have before I boxed them up :eek:

By crikey they are both heavy lumps :whistle:
I got Dan to carry the heavy one.
* Sorry.:spank:

icehockeyboy
20-10-2014, 10:22
Bloody hell....almost went a bit pear shaped!
Dan told me it would be collected Tuesday, when they drop off the Kavent....only collected it this morning didn't they!

Good job I was there!

Effem
20-10-2014, 10:38
Bloody hell....almost went a bit pear shaped!
Dan told me it would be collected Tuesday, when they drop off the Kavent....only collected it this morning didn't they!

Good job I was there!

Good job I boxed the Kavent up last night as the courier collected it at 9.15 this morning. Normally they don't do their collections until the afternoon when the van has space but this chap was on the ball today :)

So there is only one thing left to say Craig from me . . . . . . . . . ENJOY :)

loosend
20-10-2014, 16:13
I am glad u took it in today Craig!!
So, we currently have an efficient courier, let's hope tomorrow proves to be successful also and that u are both happy!

icehockeyboy
21-10-2014, 09:13
The beast has arrived!!
At work at the mo.....but bloody hell! The sheer size and weight of it!!!! :eek:
So far it's cost me over £70 for a silk scarf as a bribe and I have a feeling it won't end there! :rolleyes:

Audio Al
21-10-2014, 09:15
So far it's cost me over £70

Worth every penny :D

icehockeyboy
21-10-2014, 09:25
Yeh but no but yeh but no but.......that's probably just a starter!

Effem
21-10-2014, 13:24
The beast has arrived!!
At work at the mo.....but bloody hell! The sheer size and weight of it!!!! :eek:

Oh bugger, I just realised that I forgot to stick the BODY BUILDING and SAFE LIFTING - HOW TO AVOID A HERNIA manuals to the outside of the box :rfl:

Just wait until you hear what the damn thing can do, all will be forgiven :)

The Lyngdorf has just arrived Craig and the couriers haven't mangled it I am happy to say :)

icehockeyboy
21-10-2014, 20:55
Pleased to hear that Frank!
I must say that the top of the box containing the hernia inducing power transformer was a bit crumpled, and the fact that when I followed Dans instructions about switching it on, it seemed that it somehow had been damaged as it kept blowing the switch in my mains box!

Thankfully it wasn't, and powering it up in a different way didn't throw any more trip switches and I was able to finally have a listen, well, to about 4 songs that is!

First impressions...?
It looks like a keeper, but obviously I want to let it warm up a bit more before commenting further.
Oh, and the wife? Says it's on par with her iPod. ��

Effem
21-10-2014, 21:22
Pleased to hear that Frank!
I must say that the top of the box containing the hernia inducing power transformer was a bit crumpled, and the fact that when I followed Dans instructions about switching it on, it seemed that it somehow had been damaged as it kept blowing the switch in my mains box!

Thankfully it wasn't, and powering it up in a different way didn't throw any more trip switches and I was able to finally have a listen, well, to about 4 songs that is!

First impressions...?
It looks like a keeper, but obviously I want to let it warm up a bit more before commenting further.
Oh, and the wife? Says it's on par with her iPod. ��

The transformer thingy was not easy to pack safely because of it's shape and the sheer bloody weight of it, because whichever way up it was it was pure dead weight rolling around without a centre of gravity and the captive power lead is rather vulnerable because of that.

I never had any fuse or trip blowing issue with it, just connected it up and away it went no bother at all :scratch: I hope you are going straight into the wall socket and not through the Belkin?

Let it warm up a bit? It would be plenty warm and ready to really rock 'n' roll within 35 minutes and after an hour I had to open the windows in my tiny listening room LOL A couple of hours later it made a superb slow cooker :eyebrows:

Ask yer missus if her iPod can do a gorgeous beef casserole at the same time :ner:

struth
21-10-2014, 21:34
Would think a belkin box would handle it ok. My 2 handle anything Ive hit them with...might just be a delicate trip switch....was it the earth trip or the fuse?

icehockeyboy
21-10-2014, 21:40
Hi Frank and Grant,
Straight into the wall as advised. Although I would like to stick it into the Belkin, so why do you say not to?

Grant, I think the trip thing is a bit long in the tooth ...just been discussing it with Dan, he thinks the amp and torsional u it it is just sucking a bit too much power.

struth
21-10-2014, 21:52
Yep, a lot of trips get sensitive, . if the earth trip is going I'd check things further though, although they too can be uber sensitive(a pain in the ass actually). Try a new trip if it is an individual one and make sure its high rated.... also you could try another socket or even try another circuit like upstairs as the ring will be different.

Effem
21-10-2014, 21:54
Two good reasons for connecting straight to the wall socket and not through the Belkin.

1. The amp draws more current than the Belkin is rated for in my opinion. I tried it both ways and much preferred direct into the wall socket.

2. The transformer unit is fully balanced, so going via the Belkin negates the benefits.

At initial power amp those huge electrolytic caps inside the amp are completely empty so the current draw is considerable, probably why the trip circuit activated.

awkwardbydesign
21-10-2014, 22:01
Ah, the old toroidal surge! You've got to love it.

struth
21-10-2014, 22:09
The PUREAV PF40 is rated at 7700 joules p/s which is about 32 amps surge.

icehockeyboy
21-10-2014, 22:23

Ah, but mine isn't a PUREAV PF40, its a cheaper one, retailed at just under £70 I think.

Effem
21-10-2014, 22:24

I only have the PF-30 and I don't know which one Craig has :scratch:

icehockeyboy
21-10-2014, 22:29
It's the one that PC World were selling off at a really good price...can't now get to it to get the model...sorry.

It has all the sockets on the top, as well as Inputs for satellite and cable, and phone lines.

loosend
21-10-2014, 22:32
I think ur old wooden consumer unit is a little sensitive yes. There will be an inrush to deal with but its milliseconds, hence the trip going and not a fuse in the iec or cable.

The amp has a 1kva toroid and the balanced aupply a 2kva, overkill yea! Peace of mind? For sure :)

Well we got it working easy e nough and I'm glad it's all sounding good, another trip up that ladder after a couple more whiskers could have been lights out just not for the house....:)

struth
21-10-2014, 22:34
Dunno that one. its not the 30 as its sockets are at the back too.....nevertheless it should not be surging high enough to trip a 15 amp switch, so probably just a tired trip.

icehockeyboy
22-10-2014, 06:47
F9G823uk3M Is the model but for whatever reason the iPad won't copy the image!

Would using it st the trip being thrown scenario?

synsei
22-10-2014, 06:53
http://catalog.belkin.com/images/product/F9G823uk3M/FUL1_F9G823uk3M.jpg

:)

icehockeyboy
22-10-2014, 07:20
http://catalog.belkin.com/images/product/F9G823uk3M/FUL1_F9G823uk3M.jpg

:)

That's the one,

So, would it help in the tripping ? :)

synsei
22-10-2014, 07:24
I have no idea Craig but it couldn't hurt to try ;)

Macca
22-10-2014, 07:26
I've got one of them and I wouldnt run an amp through it especially not a powerhouse. Get your electrics sorted is my advice.

struth
22-10-2014, 09:02
That one is not for a power amp, as it does not have the high current socket.

icehockeyboy
22-10-2014, 11:18
That one is not for a power amp, as it does not have the high current socket.

Really?.....thought it did....it worked well with my old Lyngdorf.....

struth
22-10-2014, 11:32
I have 2 of these

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/ee0d55e932436c5c7635222ccd1e709d.jpg

It switches stuff on and off in order and has a dedicated power amp socket that takes an opening surge of 32 amps so it won't give trouble.

icehockeyboy
18-11-2017, 09:16

Enjoy.

Effem’s very valued opinion on the Kavent I’m now sadly selling.

See main thread for price