PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha CR 600 Problems.

dantheman91
19-09-2014, 08:56
Hi Lads

Recently bought this old Yamaha as it was a good price but the reality soon set it as its got problems first of all when powering up speakers set to A and through the Aux input there was no left channel i gave the selector switch a few turns and it came back so yesterday i thought i would give it a spray with servisol super 10 but this had made it worse somehow and the left channel is clearly down quite substantial :rolleyes: its ment to make it better not worse:scratch:?. Also seems to be OK through both tape inputs but when i play a CD through AUX when i switch from phono to AUX the sound that sound be coming through AUX also comes through phono for some reason also pops between selection from tuner to phono to aux or vice versa . Worth the hassle interesting to see if anything can be done though only know the simple stuff i know i need to go on a course or something but any help would be great:).

Thanks
Dan

StanleyB
19-09-2014, 10:02
I would have used Servisol ColdKlene Degreaser to clean the contacts. Then use Servisol Super 10 to lubricate them.
What appears to have happened is that you have lubricated the gunk further into the switch.

dantheman91
19-09-2014, 11:17
I would have used Servisol ColdKlene Degreaser to clean the contacts. Then use Servisol Super 10 to lubricate them.
What appears to have happened is that you have lubricated the gunk further into the switch.

Hi

Thanks Stan much appreciated i shall buy some to see if that does anything.

Thanks
Dan

dantheman91
19-09-2014, 12:29
Although on closer inspection if i take the selector knob off it a appears to be bent shouldn't:scratch: it be flush in the middle?

DSJR
19-09-2014, 12:35
These *00 series of amps and receivers are well worth keeping going IMO. The *20 series that replaced them weren't as good IMO..

StanleyB
19-09-2014, 14:44
Although on closer inspection if i take the selector knob off it a appears to be bent shouldn't:scratch: it be flush in the middle?
Can you post picture?

dantheman91
19-09-2014, 17:10
Here:

StanleyB
19-09-2014, 18:03
That doesn't look right at all. worth a more detailed inspection to see if the selector switch has been damaged.

dantheman91
19-09-2014, 19:54
Hi Stan.

Its going back as the owner will give me a full refund as its not worth the hassel :) Shame though nice nice of kit.

Mr Kipling
19-09-2014, 21:17
Is the sound of cd heard on Phono not just bleedthrough with the Phone's high sensitivity? Is it at the same level as when Aux is selected? Is it a switch bank? Try operating the source switches a number of times. The off-centre speaker selector might just be the switch wanting centring on its mount. When switching inputs its a good idea to have the volume turned down if you don't do so.

dantheman91
24-09-2014, 17:50
Faulty cable..........:rolleyes:.....as tried a different amp with same cable but was doing the same as the yammie changed it a its singing again at the moment.....

Seems to be working fine at present with a new interconnect.................:) So far:thumbsup:

Keep updated :).

dantheman91
11-10-2014, 11:21
Hmm.......................OK after trying again its still not quite right from switch on the right channel doesn't work but wiggle the volume it comes back but still intermittent on the tuner seems to be OK on the other inputs now no crackly volume or other pots and actually looks pretty clean inside or maybe its just the bent selector pot as in previous photos interfering with it as its bent no doubt about that :rolleyes:. Any thoughts. might be up for sale as spares or repair soon as can''t be bothered with it.

Thanks
Dab

Firebottle
11-10-2014, 12:44
Depending on how brave you are mechanically.........It could be that having a bent shaft is upsetting the correct action/alignment of the switch.

Usually you have to remove the front panel (screws on top and bottom?) to reveal the fixing nut for the control. Once you can see the full length of the shaft you should be able to see if the bend is just to the shaft or whether the fixing boss is also bend or slightly mangled.
My guess is that it is just the shaft that is bent. You could try getting a pair of pliers and gently straighten the shaft. If the two halves squeeze together you can separate then afterwards with a screwdriver twisted between the two halves.

Worst thing maybe that you need to replace theselector switch?

:cool: Alan

dantheman91
11-10-2014, 13:22
Depending on how brave you are mechanically.........It could be that having a bent shaft is upsetting the correct action/alignment of the switch.

Usually you have to remove the front panel (screws on top and bottom?) to reveal the fixing nut for the control. Once you can see the full length of the shaft you should be able to see if the bend is just to the shaft or whether the fixing boss is also bend or slightly mangled.
My guess is that it is just the shaft that is bent. You could try getting a pair of pliers and gently straighten the shaft. If the two halves squeeze together you can separate then afterwards with a screwdriver twisted between the two halves.

Worst thing maybe that you need to replace theselector switch?

:cool: Alan

Hi Alan

Hows it going my friend.?

Interesting advice :cool: but i think its far from my technical ability unfortunately. I'm wondering how it would of become bent out of alignment as it must of been some weight but who knows from the sound i got from it its quite different to the CR 820 the CR 600 is more laid back but the 820 theirs more detail in the highs and mids :). Isn't there a risk that bending it back may make it worse at the moment its just about usable or maybe i'm just being to fussy:rolleyes:.

Mr Kipling
11-10-2014, 17:12
Is the sound of cd heard on Phono not just bleedthrough with the Phone's high sensitivity? Is it at the same level as when Aux is selected? Is it a switch bank? Try operating the source switches a number of times. The off-centre speaker selector might just be the switch wanting centring on its mount. When switching inputs its a good idea to have the volume turned down if you don't do so.

Sorry for the load of twaddle given there. For some reason I thought the photo showed a speaker selector function.

istari_knight
11-10-2014, 18:58
From the photo you posted previously I'm not sure the input selector is even original ? If it is original, it sure aint right...

Can you remove the [bottom] cover & take a picture of the selector from the inside ?

dantheman91
11-10-2014, 19:20
From the photo you posted previously I'm not sure the input selector is even original ? If it is original, it sure aint right...

Can you remove the [bottom] cover & take a picture of the selector from the inside ?

Hi James,

Yes i will do the covers all in one i'm looking round the the speaker selector has like black grease around it and then i look at the selector switch and i looks burnt i think i thought i was the front fascia out of alignment as when moved it was center but when placed back its still wonk. will do the pics ASAP.

dantheman91
11-10-2014, 19:45
Pictures.

There not the best as wires and materiel in the way....

istari_knight
11-10-2014, 20:49
Ohh Its "one of those" :(

Also used in the Cyrus 1/2 amps & is quite possibly the most common problem with them... Prone to filling up with gunk resulting in intermittent sound. Ideally it would be best removed, disassembled & given a thorough clean but in your case I would suggest further treatment with Servisol of input selector, tape monitor & speaker selector switches. Pump them full & keep working them until your wrist aches ! It can take what feels like ages if really dirty.

I think the bent shaft is a red herring personally, of course I may be wrong but it sounds like a classic case of dirty contacts.

dantheman91
11-10-2014, 21:26
Ohh Its "one of those" :(

Also used in the Cyrus 1/2 amps & is quite possibly the most common problem with them... Prone to filling up with gunk resulting in intermittent sound. Ideally it would be best removed, disassembled & given a thorough clean but in your case I would suggest further treatment with Servisol of input selector, tape monitor & speaker selector switches. Pump them full & keep working them until your wrist aches ! It can take what feels like ages if really dirty.

I think the bent shaft is a red herring personally, of course I may be wrong but it sounds like a classic case of dirty contacts.

Hi James,

OK with be on the case tomorrow :D. Here's a question for how long do you leave for the spray to settle in and roughly if it was you how much would you use as have read it could be making it worse if really bad i could possibly but compressed air to flush it through and then use servisol just wondering.

Thanks.

istari_knight
15-10-2014, 13:29
Sorry Dan, I didn't see your post.

I usually spray for a second. Cant say I've ever damaged a pot/switch by spraying too much but then I've never sprayed too much [however much that is ?!] Your post on PFM sounds as though you just keep spraying the volume pot - Have you tried re-spraying the selector switch as suggested the other day ? If you have & its still the same / you feel the switch is terminally damaged I wouldn't hold out much hope of finding a replacement as its not a standard off the shelf part.