PDA

View Full Version : Servicing Sony 670es

Nihil Sleighride
18-09-2014, 20:29
A few months ago I acquired a 670es and after some listening decided it was a keeper after comparison to a Sony 940 and my father's Musical A5. Not really knowing it's providence is there anyone recommended who can give it a service and replace the neccessary? The tape monitor selector is a bit loose, it seems to my ears take a some seconds to get both channels fired up on the CD input and phono stage a bit woolly.

RobbieGong
18-09-2014, 21:42
Someone like istari_knight (James), here on AOS knows his stuf. He's down near Portsmouth way I believe, if that's not a problem. Send him a pm.

Tarzan
19-09-2014, 09:04
Someone like istari_knight (James), here on AOS knows his stuf. He's down near Portsmouth way I believe, if that's not a problem. Send him a pm.

x2 very helpful.

istari_knight
19-09-2014, 15:56
Most common problem I've encountered with the 670ES is dirty/pitted relay contacts... They quite literally eat them... (try using speaker output B and see if there's an improvement.)

The rotary knobs are secured using "set screws" - it will just require tightening. The phono stage in stock form isn't amazing true but the same could be said of nearly all mass market Japanese amplifiers of the 90's. It can be improved for relatively little expense, I have upgraded the opamp, coupling & feedback capacitors in one which costs less than £10 in parts yet completely transforms the sound ;)

Nihil Sleighride
19-09-2014, 17:02
Cheers everyone and thanks for the advice James regarding the input knob and output B, I'll give it a go this evening.