PDA

View Full Version : Origin Live Encounter Mk3A Tonearm. REVIEW

Clive197
14-09-2014, 23:16
As requested by Andrei. A review of the Origin Live Encounter Mk3A Tonearm.

Some basic facts first.
Length: 240mm
Over Hang: 17.24mm
Offset: 23 deg.
Pivot to Spindle:223mm
Arm Mass: 12
Null Points: 65.2/122.3mm
Mount: Standard Rega single point

The arm has dual pivots, which is supposed according to OL to give you all the advantages of a uni-pivot but none of the disadvantages i.e.sideways stability. Bias setting is via a weight and thread. A VTA adjuster is included as standard but this cannot be adjusted on-the-fly.

Inside the box is the tonearm with fixed phono cable (Cardas) ending in the famous Eichmann Bullet RCA phono plugs. With the tonearm I got a set of hex keys, for the counter weight, and for the antiskating weight. The Ortofon Tracking Force gauge mentioned in the owner's manual was missing, as was the cork washer needed for mounting. These are necessary items so that you are able to adjust tracking force with the counter weight on the non-threaded tonearm stub. As I have a digital scale, so this was not an issue. I ordered the washer from OL which arrived very quickly.
Origin Live should revise their manual. While it contains lots of information, more pictures and a better step by step installation information would be advantageous for the beginner.

Once the cork washer arrived I proceeded with the install. Every thing was relatively easy until tracking weight was being set. There are no marking, so zeroing the arm and dialling in the weight was not an option. The amount of movement needed on the counter weight is minute, so setting the weight for my Cadenza Bronze took some time. Eventually 2.5grms was achieved. Setting VTA, Bias etc. all went very smoothly. Rega can supply at extra cost a counter weight with a fine tuning weight drilled into it, which would of course make setting weight much easier. If you don't change cartridges very often then of course this is less of an issue.

To my surprise, the arm sounded a huge step better than my previous arm (a OL Silver Mk3) which could never be described as poor. I expected it to be better but this was a magnitude more than expected. Soundstage increased as did depth and detail. On testing with the latest HiFi News Test Record the cartridge would now track all the test bands on the record with a sure footidness I have never heard before. Totally amazing.

I have in the past owned arms by SME and Linn but I am convinced that the Encounter beats them. The finish is to a very high standard, maybe not quite up to SME standards but very few manufacturers achieve that but still this is an exceptionally well made product.

Clive

Marco
16-09-2014, 13:19
Great stuff, Clive, but………………………………………….

:worthless:

Marco.

Clive197
16-09-2014, 17:54
Marco, there is a lovely picture above and to the left.

But just to keep you a happy bunny.

Andrei
16-09-2014, 22:18
Thanks for that Clive. I am thinking of upgrading my tonearm, and OL is is my current preferred choice. Actually 'preferred choice' is a bit futile at the moment as I presently have all the financial resources as a church mouse. All the same I keep my eyes peeled for user experience of the better OLs, SME M2-9, better Micro Seikis. Normally I don't put to much stock in Commercial Websites, but I reckon there is some worthwhile info on the Funk and OL websites. I'm very glad for you that it has worked out. I guess after a holiday downunder and some serious upgrades it is time to sit back and enjoy. Actually not just the music, but I have just noticed you have the 5G which together with the arm must make for a pretty decent look.

Clive197
16-09-2014, 23:26
Hi Andrei, sitting back and listening to cool music, sounds like a plan (no pun intended). Your right the TT does look pretty tasty and it sounds as good if not better than it looks.

My dilemma is the MNB. Do I, or don't I, that is the question. On Saturday yes, Sunday no, Monday yes, Tuesday no. Wednesday ?. Forgetting the confidence issue, I'm still not convinced my ears will hear a difference. They are trained ears having been in the trade, so I know how to listen. I get that the majority of MNB owners will be jumping up and down shouting that it made a huge difference to their system, they would, they have a vested interested. Very few people will admit that maybe they should have spent the money on music. All this pontification is not helpful, I'm going to have to make my own decision.

Clive

Clive197
23-09-2014, 12:36
...................My dilemma is the MNB. Do I, or don't I, that is the question.
Clive

I DID.:clapclapclap: