PDA

View Full Version : Optical Digital Adapter.

DaveK
28-07-2009, 19:34
Hi All,
Just seen John's post on USB to spdif converter and am prompted to ask the following: -
I understand that, in terms of digital system signal quality, toslink is best, next come co-ax, then phono. If this is the case I have 2 sources with optical digital out, both of which, ideally, I would like to feed my Standac 7520 but it only has one optical input.
I have purchased a very cheap adapter off eBay which is said to permit 2 sorces into 1 input or 1 source into 2 inputs. It appears to transmit one source through to the input but will not transmit 2. It acts as though connecting the second source blocks out the first and vice versa.
Question: - does anyone know of such an adapter that will fully transmit 2 sources into 1 input (not at the same time !!) or would it be a better compromise to use 1 co-ax source and 1 optical source, rather than 2 optical sources.
All opinions welcome.
Cheers,

The Vinyl Adventure
28-07-2009, 20:29
short answer - coax is better, fact

DaveK
28-07-2009, 20:40
short answer - coax is better, fact

Hi Hamish,
Don't 'beat around the bush' - if you're not sure just say so - are you sure? :lolsign::lol::lolsign::lol:
Cheers,

The Vinyl Adventure
29-07-2009, 01:10
as far as i know! this has been discussed on here before.. something to do with bandwidth or something... way over my head!
have a search on the forum, i tried to find the convo to link you to it but i cant find it! perhaps one of the nice mods will point you to it?

i always sell people good coax over optical

John
29-07-2009, 05:18
Hi Dave I use a brass converter i got from an hifi shop and can use either my blue ray player or CD transport without any issues
I am thinking of getting this to go for my DAC
http://www.hagtech.com/hagusb.html
or this but a bit pricy
http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/off-ramp-converter

trailer
29-07-2009, 09:49
Whilst co-ax "may" sound better than optical one of the advantages of optical is that you don't get any ground loop issues. If you have any hum in your system on a co-ax connection then theres every chance that optical will remove this.

StanleyB
29-07-2009, 10:04
Hi Dave I use a brass converter i got from an hifi shop and can use either my blue ray player or CD transport without any issues
I am thinking of getting this to go for my DAC
http://www.hagtech.com/hagusb.html

The HAG uses a USB chip that is several years old and below the chip that I use in the TC-7520 and in the Caiman.

Stan

The Vinyl Adventure
29-07-2009, 10:58
Whilst co-ax "may" sound better than optical one of the advantages of optical is that you don't get any ground loop issues. If you have any hum in your system on a co-ax connection then theres every chance that optical will remove this.

this is true but in your system dave with the amount of conections to and from various bits of kit (ref. ss convo) it might not make any odds
a bit of trial and error might be worth ago! especially if you have a good relationship with a local hifi shop that will lend you different cables!