PDA

View Full Version : For Urei fans....I know you're out there...

ff1d1l
11-09-2014, 16:05
Here's an old thread on the Lansing Heritage forum with a good project for all those old Urei's you keep tripping over. The best pics are on page 4.
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?12303-Urei-Theater&

wiicrackpot
11-09-2014, 16:51
Thats me then, thanks for the link. :)

Currently use a pair of 809's professional reconed, saw a pair of very nice 811's recently,
was willing to meet asking price but owner refuse to post, deal fell through. :(

BTH K10A
11-09-2014, 17:57
A few years back I bought a pair of 813C's. These were the ones with the JBL based drivers. The lower and upper mids were some of the best I've heard but I was surprised at how much lighter they were in the bass than my then current JBL 4333's which, after comparision, I decided were a better all round speaker so I sold the Urei's on

ff1d1l
11-09-2014, 18:47
A few years back I bought a pair of 813C's. These were the ones with the JBL based drivers. The lower and upper mids were some of the best I've heard but I was surprised at how much lighter they were in the bass than my then current JBL 4333's which, after comparision, I decided were a better all round speaker so I sold the Urei's on

All the Urei range was designed to be soffit mounted (that is, in a recess so the front of the cabinet is flush with the wall), and will be bass light unless this or something approximating to it is employed. I've got both of mine right tight in the corners, and almost to the (low) ceiling, EXACTLY the worst place to put conventional speakers. But they sound great there, and now have very good bass. I do most of my listening as I work, and I work in a high chair so the elevated position is ideal for me.

How good are they now? Well, I'm using my Autographs (repro) with Monitor Reds as speaker stands...

I must admit when I got them I thought they were a speaker that held promise, rather than a keeper. Mine are fairly modded now, all that bulb bollox in the crossovers bypassed, the level pots too, and the crossovers externally mounted. The cabinet is much reinforced, the minimising of cabinet talk giving a much clearer presentation. All this made a huge difference, but to me, in the things that matter to me, I'd be giving it a 50% improvement made on how they were when I got them. On really clean recordings they sound something like electrostatics but with huge dynamics - they're nearly 100db efficient.

I'd love to try 813s but realistically I don't have the room. Let alone for 815s....drool...

dantheman91
11-09-2014, 19:15
The Astoria (Dave Gilmores Studio) Uses UREI 813 Monitors so they are well known in recording circles i have seen many studio use UREI but my god they look superb i bet they sound awesome too :)

BTH K10A
11-09-2014, 19:25
All the Urei range was designed to be soffit mounted (that is, in a recess so the front of the cabinet is flush with the wall), and will be bass light unless this or something approximating to it is employed. I've got both of mine right tight in the corners, and almost to the (low) ceiling, EXACTLY the worst place to put conventional speakers. But they sound great there, and now have very good bass. I do most of my listening as I work, and I work in a high chair so the elevated position is ideal for me.

How good are they now? Well, I'm using my Autographs (repro) with Monitor Reds as speaker stands...

I must admit when I got them I thought they were a speaker that held promise, rather than a keeper. Mine are fairly modded now, all that bulb bollox in the crossovers bypassed, the level pots too, and the crossovers externally mounted. The cabinet is much reinforced, the minimising of cabinet talk giving a much clearer presentation. All this made a huge difference, but to me, in the things that matter to me, I'd be giving it a 50% improvement made on how they were when I got them. On really clean recordings they sound something like electrostatics but with huge dynamics - they're nearly 100db efficient.

I'd love to try 813s but realistically I don't have the room. Let alone for 815s....drool...

Yes, after reading up on them I realised that the bass could be better with wall reinforcement or adding large baffle wings but I have very high ceilings and corner reinforcement was just not enough.

I did have a chance to buy some 815's that were in South London a few years back. Cpuld have had them for £350 but the cabinets were very battered, all four bass drivers needed re-foaming and the blue foam was missing from the horns. I probably should have bought them but didn't fancy the work to get them right again.

Incidently there was a pair on ebay recently

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Urei-815-A-studio-monitors-very-rare-speakers-604-drivers-/221489536993

ff1d1l
11-09-2014, 20:11
Incidently there was a pair on ebay recently

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Urei-815-A-studio-monitors-very-rare-speakers-604-drivers-/221489536993[/QUOTE]

I got as far as emailing the vendor....then the reality of where was I going to put them intruded. That and the small matter of two and a half grand needed!

A bit ambitious - I'd be very surprised if he got it. Also the re-foam looked very ho-hum to me.

ff1d1l
11-09-2014, 20:18
Thats me then, thanks for the link. :)

Currently use a pair of 809's professional reconed, saw a pair of very nice 811's recently,
was willing to meet asking price but owner refuse to post, deal fell through. :(

I've got a single 809...still hoping to pair it up...maybe one day.
If you find one of yours missing you'll know where to look!:)

wiicrackpot
11-09-2014, 20:39
I've got a single 809...still hoping to pair it up...maybe one day.
If you find one of yours missing you'll know where to look!:)
Locksmiths are coming tomorrow to uprate my locks, mines replaced Tannoy Monitor Golds. :eyebrows:

Those 813 reform job looks really sub standard, mine's are way better than that,
the reason mine's was upgraded was the seller damaged it while he was taking it out of their Soffit fittings,
the foams disintegrated, i am actually on the look out for a pair of Radian 1225-8 diaphragms for the 2416 compression drivers,
i think i can detect a slight break up on one of my units if i crank up the energy setting and wick up my MC750 Pro amp,
otherwise i love them to bits and bass is plenty good enough in my room. :cool: