PDA

View Full Version : Audia Flight CD1

Thetiminator
09-09-2014, 19:15
I heard one of these years ago and passed on buying it and always regretted it. I can find very little on them and doesn't look like they're distributed in the UK any more.

Does anyone have one/knows anyone that has one or has an idea where to go to get one? TIA

Spectral Morn
09-09-2014, 21:51
I heard one of these years ago and passed on buying it and always regretted it. I can find very little on them and doesn't look like they're distributed in the UK any more.

Does anyone have one/knows anyone that has one or has an idea where to go to get one? TIA

Henley Distribution where the UK distributors but they failed to get many UK dealers to take Audia on - usual problem of brand snobbery and not enough reviews and it takes mega bucks and several years of promotion to raise a brand profile to the point folks will buy or want to buy and dealers to stock it.

Being honest it was not that well made re its £3500 price point - fit and finish not being quiet good enough to reflect that retail price - in my opinion. No issues with reliability and sound quality was good but again there was better in and around that price point at the time - so stiff competition.

It got good reviews but not good enough to allow the brand to fly in the UK, so Henely dropped it. I don't think the UK market is missing much by Audia's absence though, in my opinion.

No idea where you would get one in the UK as I don't think many sold so EBay Italy might be a better bet being as they are an Italian company.

Regards Neil

Thetiminator
09-09-2014, 22:26
So you like them then Neil :P

Thanks for the info though, very helpful and saves me a lot of digging.
I only heard one once at a dealers. I was demo'ing a DCS Debussy and I wasn't that fussed. Then he started up the Audia and I was mesmerised by this big, warm, luxurious sound. I may be remembering it with rose tints on but always regretted not taking it (I didn't need another CD player).

I don't need it now either but am prepared to chuck a few quid at one to see. If it wasn't as good as I remembered I could pass it on to my dad for Xmas or something...

My system is extremely resolving, dynamic and transparent, sometimes it would be nice to take a nice slow, comfortable ride rather than it always be a constant session of jumping out of your seat ;)

Spectral Morn
12-09-2014, 22:59
So you like them then Neil :P

Thanks for the info though, very helpful and saves me a lot of digging.
I only heard one once at a dealers. I was demo'ing a DCS Debussy and I wasn't that fussed. Then he started up the Audia and I was mesmerised by this big, warm, luxurious sound. I may be remembering it with rose tints on but always regretted not taking it (I didn't need another CD player).

I don't need it now either but am prepared to chuck a few quid at one to see. If it wasn't as good as I remembered I could pass it on to my dad for Xmas or something...

My system is extremely resolving, dynamic and transparent, sometimes it would be nice to take a nice slow, comfortable ride rather than it always be a constant session of jumping out of your seat ;)

Hi Tim

A bit underwhelmed would be a fair comment.

I am not a big fan of the DCS sound, so I am not that surprised you preferred it to a DCS player.

I tried it in my own system and at the time for similar money (£4000) the Shanling Omega Drive T300 was a much better player and for £4500 the AMR CD77 was a total stunner.

Anyway past history - things move on.

Regards Neil

Thetiminator
13-09-2014, 14:20
Hi Neil
I've always wanted to hear the AMR and also the big Rega. Can you expand a bit on the AMR compared to the Audia Flight? And have you auditioned the Rega? Tia

Spectral Morn
13-09-2014, 14:50
Hi Neil
I've always wanted to hear the AMR and also the big Rega. Can you expand a bit on the AMR compared to the Audia Flight? And have you auditioned the Rega? Tia

The AMR was more open and detailed, better at resolving space and air, shifts in dynamics but without etch or glare. A very musically enjoyable CD player. The CD777 does similar but isn't as good but its half the price.

Proof in the pudding is have a listen and see what you think, nothing ventured nothing gained and if you don't like it at least you can score it off your interest list.

I have only heard the Rega at shows and to my knowledge not the valve variant (yep Rega make a CD player with valves - go figure) The AMR now days is £7500 for the CD77 but there is a CD777 at £3500 ish which you can hear local to you as there is a dealer who stocks them in Enniskillen.

http://www.ardhowenhifi.com/

I do know him and count him as a personal friend but I have no business tie with him either as an investor or paid employee.

Regards Neil

Thetiminator
13-09-2014, 17:37
Thanks Neil much appreciated.

I'll give him a try and see what he has. I don't actually need a CD player (I'll probably use it as a Dac for most of the time), I just fancied something with a different sound to the Boulder for a bit of variety when the mood takes me. The Boulder is truly fabulous but it is very transparent with killer dynamics and super fast....I fancy something with a bit of romance for certain albums or when the mood takes me.

Thetiminator
18-09-2014, 06:19
Hi Mods

Can you lock/remove this thread? Fulfilled now. TIA.

Spectral Morn
18-09-2014, 07:19
Hi Mods

Can you lock/remove this thread? Fulfilled now. TIA.

Sorry Tim generally the rule is we only do that in exceptional circumstances - lock either temporarily or permanently to prevent/control a flame war etc but we don't remove threads.

Regards Neil

Thetiminator
18-09-2014, 16:11
Sorry Tim generally the rule is we only do that in exceptional circumstances - lock either temporarily or permanently to prevent/control a flame war etc but we don't remove threads.

Regards Neil

OK no probs.