PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo 607 help needed!

icehockeyboy
09-09-2014, 09:25
I've had this problem for some time, but have lived with it up until yesterday when the wife went mental at me over it, so...when switching on the amp, TV, and Virgin TiVo, it takes an excessively long time for a picture to appear onscreen, due to some sort of problem within the Onkyo.
Now, my question is, as I use the TV through the HDMI 1 input, is it likely to be just that input that is faulty, and could I just use say, HDMI 3, or are they all interlinked, and still likely to be as slow starting up?

Thanks in advance!

struth
09-09-2014, 10:32
Managed to get connected via my phone on data.
Bloody hospital does not have bb.
I've heard of problems with these and as far as am aware it is the hdmi board on onkyo that is culprit. Has a very slow handshake time.anything up to 5 mins especially with tivo. You could try disconnecting tick and see if it is quicker with other equipment

icehockeyboy
09-09-2014, 10:40
Thanks Grant
Thing is, it hasn't always been sooooooooo slow to connect!

Just re querying what I asked earlier, are all the HDMI inputs linked together, meaning a slow handshake no matter which one I select?

Spectral Morn
09-09-2014, 10:44
I make all my connections direct to the TV and only use my amplifier for sound. It never made sense to me to use the video aspect of these amps unless one was using a projector or had an older display only plasma, where there was maybe only one video input.

Is there a technical reason for using your amp this way?

Regards Neil

icehockeyboy
09-09-2014, 10:47
I make all my connections direct to the TV and only use my amplifier for sound. It never made sense to me to use the video aspect of these amps unless one was using a projector or had an older display only plasma, where there was maybe only one video input.

Is there a technical reason for using your amp this way?

Regards Neil

Nope, not technical, just the way I thought was best.....

struth
09-09-2014, 11:01
As far as hdmi connections are concerned I'd suspect that they are all the same. I would probably only u see hdmi if I was using it for audio and video otherwise I'd use an audio connection . In your case it could be the solution . Onkyos have problems with handshaking and always have. Great machines though

Spectral Morn
09-09-2014, 11:15
Nope, not technical, just the way I thought was best.....

In which case hook all your av sources to the TV direct and use coax or optical cables for digital surround data transfer to the amp. I always felt that putting the video through an extra set of connections was possibly going to degrade the picture. There are some av amps that contain line doubling/video enhancing technology so connecting through one of those might make sense but many TVs also do that now too - hence the question re there being a technical reason for having it as you have it at the present time.

Regards Neil

DarrenHW
09-09-2014, 15:31
I also have a 607 and a 606 with which I have had problems with the HDMI board, what you describes sounds like the beginning of the HDMI board failing, this is how the problems with my 606 started. My 607 has an intermittent fault which I have yet to address but I believe it is the same fault as the 606 which I successfully resolved (with the exception of the OSD) by replacing 5 capacitors. I did this about 2 years ago and it's still going strong. Google onkyo sr606 hdmi problem and you'll probably find your symptoms are similar.

Here is a video detailing the repair procedure for the 606 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GgDEtSug2o.

Hopefully replacing the 5 100uF 4V caps on the 607 HDMI board (which I think are all on the same side) will resolve your issues, I can't guarantee it but I'd say it's worth a go, I have new replacement caps if you want them let me know and I'll send them to you (FOC).

IIRC the failure is due to ineffective cooling, do you have plenty of ventilation around the receiver?

DarrenHW
09-09-2014, 15:46
30 page thread here (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1246078-how-diy-tx-sr576-tx-sr606-etc-hdmi-daughterboard-repair-dummies.html) detailing a number of Onkyo HDMI board repairs, may be worth a flick through?

icehockeyboy
22-09-2014, 10:57
Hmmm.....re cooling, there is enough ventilation, having said that, the unit does seem to throw out more heat than I recall it doing...?
I must admit I'm pondering on getting a cheap Pioneer from Richer Sounds rather than arse around with it, I'm no longer as bothered as I used to be with AV, and at £99 it looks fine.
Thoughts chaps and ladies?

icehockeyboy
24-09-2014, 11:08
Weird thing......amp seemed to get very warm a day or two back......and it's now coming on almost immediately! :scratch:

cpjvej2012
02-02-2019, 11:54
Hmmmm not had any issues with my 507, but, These onks do have issues with the HDMI boards - I think heat from the amp is the thing that kills them. I think on mine the HDMI board is at the back of the amp top right corner so most of th heat off of the amp is belting that baord, though Ive had no issiues but man this amp does get hot, sometimes you cant even touch it... so maybe yours now working is an indicator of the HDMI board failing - maybe losing its connections on the PCB and the heat is warming the solder and making the connections again.