PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Classe power amp. DR9 or DR10 perhaps?

Colin151
05-09-2014, 16:19
Looking for an old Classe power amp heavily biased into class A (but still class AB so good power delivery). The DR9 is really the one I'm looking for but maybe a DR10 would do.

If anyone has one they would like to sell would love to hear from you.

Cheers,
Colin

Rick E
05-09-2014, 18:01
Hi Colin, are you stuck on that brand, or will other Pass designs interest you? I have a Forte 1A I'll be moving on if you want it. 50wpc room heater that makes very nice sounds.

Cheers.

Rick. (stax on a train :))

walpurgis
05-09-2014, 18:16
That should be good. I had the matching Model 2 pre-amp and it was a cracker!

Rick E
05-09-2014, 18:27
That should be good. I had the matching Model 2 pre-amp and it was a cracker!

I like the Forte stuff. Affordable high end. I've just bought a Usher R1.5 this week too, another stonking bargain hot amp!

Colin151
05-09-2014, 21:37
Hi Colin, are you stuck on that brand, or will other Pass designs interest you? I have a Forte 1A I'll be moving on if you want it. 50wpc room heater that makes very nice sounds.

Cheers.

Rick. (stax on a train :))

Hi Rick. I remember you :) Nice to hear from you and thanks for offering the Forte. I'm in two minds. The downside is I really need more power as I'm driving a large set of inefficient Maggies. That's why I was interested in the Classe DR9 which has about double the power. Even that's not really enough something like the Usher would be ideal actually!

The Forte might work for biamping though. I had a Forte 4a a few years back and though it was pure and sweet sounding but also quite bright and thin. That model used obscure Igbt transformers though so the 1a should sound different with its Mosfets. How is the tone of the 1a? I would not expect it to sound as rich as a valve amp but I don't want something that's too thin and bright sounding again.

Cheers
Colin

Rick E
05-09-2014, 22:03
I've only had it on the H2's and it's very good, but we're not talking Maggie's! I really couldn't tell you what to expect with something much less efficient.

Colin151
06-09-2014, 00:03
I've only had it on the H2's and it's very good, but we're not talking Maggie's! I really couldn't tell you what to expect with something much less efficient.
Cheers Rick. Let me read up a bit more about the 1a. Will get back to you tomorrow.

Colin151
07-09-2014, 01:11

Hi Rick,
Been reading around about the 1a and it's hard to find a bad word written about it. It might do ok on the Maggies in biamping or as a tweeter ribbon amp in triamping.

I read these sometimes have loud transformer hum. Is your ok? Not expecting it to be totally silent up close obviously.
Do you know if it has it has a 220V mains transformer or 240V?

How much do you want for it? Could you post it? or pickup only?

Rick E
07-09-2014, 08:57
Hi Rick,
Been reading around about the 1a and it's hard to find a bad word written about it. It might do ok on the Maggies in biamping or as a tweeter ribbon amp in triamping.

I read these sometimes have loud transformer hum. Is your ok? Not expecting it to be totally silent up close obviously.
Do you know if it has it has a 220V mains transformer or 240V?

How much do you want for it? Could you post it? or pickup only?

I'll PM you Colin.

Colin151
19-09-2014, 17:08
I'll PM you Colin.

Bump. Still looking for a Classe DR9 or DR10. Would also consider other Classe DR range. I decided to pass on the Forte as its too low powered for my Maggies.

Colin151
20-09-2014, 19:07
Bump. Still looking for a Classe power amp.

Colin151
23-09-2014, 16:17
Bump. Still looking. Would also consider a Classe Model 10 as well as a DR9 or DR10.

Colin151
26-09-2014, 21:29
Bump.