PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Unsound

Unsound
04-09-2014, 08:08
That was the name of the mobile disco I ran when at university back in the dark ages.

Unsound
04-09-2014, 08:41
That was the name of the mobile disco I ran when at university back in the dark ages. Well, it started in about 1968. I wish I still had the Radford SC22P preamp and Radford STA100 power amp I used to use for it. The rest of it was not very "fi".

My main reason for being here is to find repair parts for my cherished Pioneer SA1000. The rh channel almost wholly vanishes. Some knobwiggling may get it back, but alas no longer for long. I probably need a volume pot. I've tried a number of other amps and NOTHING comes CLOSE to the LF solidity of the Pioneer. The worst was a BIG Technics that was just thin and tizzy. Mind you that's been true of every Technics amp I've listened to.

Current speakers are some giant KEF Concertos (the B139 woofer is magnificent but the midrange is a bit thin) and some B&O 3800s (which add the colour missed by the Concertos). And some old Goodmans (very mellow) some B&Ws (a bit harsh) and some Castles (very nice but not a big enough solid enough bottom), some I have a number of vinyl decks. Rotel RP1500 carries a Sontra 500EX - fabulous cartridge. Garrard Zero-100 with a Shure M-75 (but despite repair is running a bit slow). I have a JVC parallel tracking that has a couple of arm location issues (does not autorecognise 7"ers and sometimes lifts of 7"ers early). A Sony PS LX33 sounds like sh1t with the best of its dedicated cartridges I can find. A B&O Beogram 2000 also runs slow (despite repair). When on speed it's sweet-sounding. I have a couple of GL78s for refurbing and quite a few other B&O bits. I also have a pair of Goodmans Audio 301s that I will build new cabinets for one of these years - and I am gradually throwing away things contemporary with but inferior to SP25s!

walpurgis
04-09-2014, 09:17
Hello Richard, welcome to AOS.

I think you'll find a Pioneer SA-1000 rather hard to locate in good condition these days. They were nice and I reckon good examples are likely to fetch a fair bit of cash!
I'm sure it's not the only amp that delivers the kind of sound you're after though.

If your KEF Concertos are sounding a bit thin in the mid, it may be worth checking the crossover capacitors. They may have aged badly. I certainly don't recall the Concerto sounding weak in the mid.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Unsound
04-09-2014, 17:32
I'm really after bits to cure the problems with MY Pioneer SA1000. My usual Mr Fixit says the volume pot is fubarred and that it's impossible or nigh on so to get a modern one to do the job even with floppy bits of wire to reach the PC board...

I bought a big Technics to use while my Pioneer was in - sounds ghastly, all thin and tizzy, whereas the Pioneer (when on song) is just so solid. But Mr Fixit says there is nothing wrong with it.

But there again every Technics amp I've listened to sounded like that to me.

Are the capacitors in the Concerto X-overs a DIY job?

walpurgis
04-09-2014, 17:38
I'm really after bits to cure the problems with MY Pioneer SA1000. My usual Mr Fixit says the volume pot is fubarred and that it's impossible or nigh on so to get a modern one to do the job even with floppy bits of wire to reach the PC board...

I bought a big Technics to use while my Pioneer was in - sounds ghastly, all thin and tizzy, whereas the Pioneer (when on song) is just so solid. But Mr Fixit says there is nothing wrong with it.

But there again every Technics amp I've listened to sounded like that to me.

Are the capacitors in the Concerto X-overs a DIY job?

They are, but you need a meter to check values. At their age they may have issues that won't necessarily show with a meter though, so it may be best to change them anyway. I'm sure Google will find somebody who has tackled the Concerto caps before. They may suggest good alternatives.

If I recall, the crossover is mounted on the front speaker baffle, making them pretty accessible.