PDA

View Full Version : I am trying out a new Digi Coax Cable

Ninanina
01-09-2014, 22:29
I am trying out yet another cable... this time for my digi coax between cd and Rega Dac... seems pretty good at mo but need to switch back to old one at some time...

I will let you all what it is IF I decide to keep it, otherwise a bit of waste of time I think

I'm sure there maybe some popcorn emoticons......

So here is one to be getting on with :popcorn:

walpurgis
01-09-2014, 22:37
I can make a good digital coaxial cable for about £15 that will match any of the fancy £200 or more offerings for sound quality.

Ninanina
01-09-2014, 22:41
Now that would be very interesting as I am currently using a lovely MG Oyaide Digi cable and it took me a long time to decide on it too...

walpurgis
01-09-2014, 22:47
Got one here you can try out. It'll match or better anything you've got.

By the way, I've found a single Nordost Flatline or Solar Wind interconnect works extremely well as a digital cable. It's not screened, but you ain't going to pick up hum on 'digital'.

Ninanina
01-09-2014, 22:52
Got one here you can try out. It'll match or better anything you've got.

Well Geoff, thats very interesting.... what cable do you have that you think is so good ??

walpurgis
01-09-2014, 23:02
It's a well enough known and respected brand of cable. Not dear, but it gives first rate results. I won't reveal more at the moment.

I don't even regard gold plated plugs as a necessity. It seems to sound fine whatever you use. I've got Nickel plated plugs on one and it sounds great.

Ninanina
01-09-2014, 23:52
It's a well enough known and respected brand of cable. Not dear, but it gives first rate results. I won't reveal more at the moment.

I don't even regard gold plated plugs as a necessity. It seems to sound fine whatever you use. I've got Nickel plated plugs on one and it sounds great.

So Geoff what is it ? or is it a secret ?

Gazjam
02-09-2014, 08:31
So Geoff what is it ? or is it a secret ?

Good question?
C'mon, share with the group. :)

NRG
02-09-2014, 08:51
Any 75 ohm double screened cable from a reputable manufacturer like Belden will work fine, in fact given the use of RCA connectors 50 Ohm may be more appropriate. There's no mystery here why not just state what you are using.

cyclopse
02-09-2014, 09:25
I am trying out yet another cable... this time for my digi coax between cd and Rega Dac... seems pretty good at mo but need to switch back to old one at some time...

I will let you all what it is IF I decide to keep it, otherwise a bit of waste of time I think

I'm sure there maybe some popcorn emoticons......

So here is one to be getting on with :popcorn:

Does it begin with S and end in C, S..C?

Marco
02-09-2014, 10:53
Any 75 ohm double screened cable from a reputable manufacturer like Belden will work fine...

“Fine” it may well work (as in it gets the noughts and ones to their correct destination), but as good as the Belden is, you can obtain better digital coaxial cables, in terms of sonic performance. I know, because I’ve done the comparison numerous times, and the Oyaide (used by Bev) has yet to be bettered in my system.

However, in terms of Geoff’s mentioned ‘wonder cable’, as they say, I’m all ears! :)

Marco.

brian2957
02-09-2014, 11:09
:uhho: You've started sumfin now Geoff . Better come clean or :sofa: :lol:

walpurgis
02-09-2014, 11:38
I'm keeping quiet. The may be a commercial angle worth pursuing.

Macca
02-09-2014, 11:40

Are you going to go on 'Dragon's Den' then, Geoff? I can see you and that Kelly bird getting on like a house on fire...;)

Marco
02-09-2014, 12:17

Tease! You’re nearly as bad as Frank (Effem) was when he first introduced Slic!! :eek: ;)

Marco.

struth
02-09-2014, 12:18
I use one of these. Sounds just as good as expensive ones.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221400918288?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

brian2957
02-09-2014, 12:31

Go for it mate . Good luck :)

Marco
02-09-2014, 12:42
I use one of these. Sounds just as good as expensive ones.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221400918288?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ordered! I’ll let know you if I agree… ;)

Marco.

struth
02-09-2014, 16:02
Ordered! I’ll let know you if I agree… ;)

Marco.

Good stuff! be interesting to get you opinion. I had an expensive(to me) one on, but when I moved the system the cable was way too short and needed a longish one. probably could have got away with 2 metres but went for 3, as it gave a bit of elbow room. Have to say that I never noticed any negatives, and it may well be a bit better. I've since fitted one of Stans Async1's and it works great on that as well.
Mind you, my system is not at your level, so it will be interesting to see how it performs on a top bit of kit

synsei
02-09-2014, 16:17
I used a single Belkin PureAV Silver IC for coaxial digi duties for a long while and then stumped up 48 quid for a Profigold PGD4015 Oxypure cable which totally trumped the Belkin item, digi coax cables most definitely do make a difference. I'd like to compare your cable with the Profigold sometime Geoff if you are amenable, happy to stump up for the postage ;)

Ammonite Audio
02-09-2014, 16:35
Are you going to go on 'Dragon's Den' then, Geoff? I can see you and that Kelly bird getting on like a house on fire...;)

A beige (or is it taupe) house, of course!

walpurgis
02-09-2014, 17:10
Tease! You’re nearly as bad as Frank (Effem) was when he first introduced Slic!! :eek: ;)

Marco.

Mine would be called 'Slac'! :eyebrows:

walpurgis
02-09-2014, 17:14
A beige (or is it taupe) house, of course!

Did you know that "taupe" is an undefined colour? There are so many different interpretations and opinions as to how the the colour looks, that nobody has been able to set an accurate standard as far as I know.

(could it be pale 'turd' with a hint of medium grey? :D)

Marco
02-09-2014, 17:15
Good stuff! be interesting to get you opinion. I had an expensive(to me) one on, but when I moved the system the cable was way too short and needed a longish one. probably could have got away with 2 metres but went for 3, as it gave a bit of elbow room. Have to say that I never noticed any negatives, and it may well be a bit better. I've since fitted one of Stans Async1's and it works great on that as well.
Mind you, my system is not at your level, so it will be interesting to see how it performs on a top bit of kit

Well, if something excels enough at doing its job, I don’t care how ‘little’ it costs, hence why I already use £20 per metre ‘studio quality’ interconnects in a £30k system ;)

Therefore, if these ‘cheapie’ digital interconnects sound better than the (rather more expensive) Oyaide ones I’m currently using, then you can predict the outcome…. Price or ‘badge desirability' means nothing to me! :nono:

Marco.

Marco
02-09-2014, 17:19
Mine would be called 'Slac'! :eyebrows:

Lol…. :D

Marco.

Ninanina
02-09-2014, 20:04
I have decided that the new digi cable is just not as good as the rather superb Oyaide FTVS-510 cable from Mark Grant. So the new cable is being sent back

I thought the Oyaide cable would be a difficult cable to improve upon and I was right.... but like any other part of the system it's always worth a go isn't it ? ;)

Marco
02-09-2014, 21:03
I have decided that the new digi cable is just not as good as the rather superb Oyaide FTVS-510 cable from Mark Grant. So the new cable is being sent back

I thought the Oyaide cable would be a difficult cable to improve upon and I was right.... but like any other part of the system it's always worth a go isn't it ? ;)

No worries. Why the big secret though, Bev? I don’t get why you couldn’t just have named the other cable in question, for the benefit of others here, regardless of whether or not you thought it better than the Oyaide…. It’s all been a bit, well, pointless……. :scratch:

Marco.

Ninanina
02-09-2014, 21:22
It’s all been a bit, well, pointless……. :scratch:

Marco.

Marco you are welcome to you're opinion, of course....

I have decided that I will only tell what the new cable is if it bettered the one I am currently using....

I've come in for some considerable flak in the past cable wise... so from now on I am keeping things close to my chest...it's better that way I think ;)

Like I say though if there is a better cable I come across then I will definitely tell everyone what it is...;)

Marco
02-09-2014, 21:35
I have decided that I will only tell what the new cable is if it bettered the one I am currently using....

I've come in for some considerable flak in the past cable wise... so from now on I am keeping things close to my chest...it's better that way I think.

Sure, but please don’t take this the wrong way, not if in the process the hiding of the cable’s identity causes the same consternation as it did when Frank introduced Slic! ;)

Honestly, I don’t mean any offence, but it’s precisely that sort of ‘cloaking things in a shroud of mystery’ that pisses folk off. I’m simply being honest with you. My view would be to keep your experiments to yourself unless you have something worthwhile to report and are in the position to name the cables being tested.

Marco.

Ninanina
02-09-2014, 21:43
My view would be to keep your experiments to yourself unless you have something worthwhile to report and are in the position to name the cables being tested

As you say Marco, that's "your view"

I will definitely post my findings if I find a cable that betters any of the ones I am currently using, I can't say fairer than that can I ? :D

Marco
02-09-2014, 21:51
It’s not just my view, Bev, I can assure you. It’s the view of many AoS members. However, I’ll leave it with you and look forward in future to reading (more meaningful) developments on your digital cable experiments.

Marco.

Ninanina
02-09-2014, 21:55
I’ll leave you with it.
Marco.

Best way Marco...

I will 'spill-the-beans' if I find a better cable than I am currently using.. no worries :D

Puffin
03-09-2014, 06:39
The best cable is no cable. I ditched all mine years ago:scratch:

Gazjam
03-09-2014, 08:08
I have the Oyaide FTVS-510 as well.
Best I've heard.

wee tee cee
03-09-2014, 16:29
I was running an oyaide wbt silver for some time....jumped ship to one of MGs glass opticals. It trumps all the co-ax contenders I throw at it. Stan did some work around optical implementation on the BM2 that to my ears on cans and speakers makes a distinct difference.
Plumbed in a MG WBT silver IC as a digi IC ----close but no cigar!!!!!!!

The Black Adder
03-09-2014, 17:45
Best way Marco...

I will 'spill-the-beans' if I find a better cable than I am currently using.. no worries :D

Just tell us, Bev... lol - It's pointless as Marco has said. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people here and so maybe they could help too in regards to experience and advice. We like people to be open and honest here and build threads from grass roots.

MCRU
03-09-2014, 18:11
Just tell us, Bev... lol - It's pointless as Marco has said. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people here and so maybe they could help too in regards to experience and advice. We like people to be open and honest here and build threads from grass roots.

incredibly knowledgeable about what exactly dude? :)

The Black Adder
03-09-2014, 18:14
incredibly knowledgeable about what exactly dude? :)

Root vegetables...

MCRU
03-09-2014, 18:17
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/ADS/gfg_root-veggies-cropped_zps3e136491.jpg

Ninanina
03-09-2014, 19:27
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/ADS/gfg_root-veggies-cropped_zps3e136491.jpg

Only just seen this....love it..... :lol::lol:

The Black Adder
03-09-2014, 19:33
David is incredibly knowledgeable about such things... lol :lol:

CageyH
03-09-2014, 19:45
I am also in the group of people who think "If you are not going to tell us what the cable is, what is the point in posting about it?" :scratch:

Did you know I am trying out a new amp? :ner:

Marco
03-09-2014, 20:10
I am also in the group of people who think "If you are not going to tell us what the cable is, what is the point in posting about it?" :scratch:

Did you know I am trying out a new amp? :ner:

Lol!

+1 to your first sentence. It's simply attention-seeking otherwise. Sorry, but I have to be honest.

Marco.

Ninanina
03-09-2014, 20:14
Nope you won't sway me... :) And I am not "attention seeking" either

I've taken all the flak I want to thanks on cables from you lot... so I will now only tell you the cable IF it improves on what I already have

Think of me what you like...I don't care anymore..... :mental:

On past experience this thread will probably be closed... yet again....:lol::lol:

Markiii
03-09-2014, 20:22
If you won't say what it is your post is pointless

And can only be attention seeking

Frankly who cares if all you can say is its secret squirell

Ninanina
03-09-2014, 20:23
If you won't say what it is your post is pointless

And can only be attention seeking

Frankly who cares if all you can say is its secret squirell

Thanks for your comments Mark... much appreciated... lol

Ninanina
04-09-2014, 01:50
I have ordered yet another Digi Coax cable to compare to the Oyaide one I already have

Once it arrives I will let everyone know what I think of it... AND if I think it betters the Oyaide Silver cable, I am already using, then I will let you all know what it is...

I can't say fairer than that can I ??

:popcorn:

CageyH
04-09-2014, 03:31
Knowing what cables you have tried against the one you have might be useful information to somebody looking for a digital coaxial cable.

Gordon Steadman
04-09-2014, 03:59
I have ordered yet another Digi Coax cable to compare to the Oyaide one I already have

Once it arrives I will let everyone know what I think of it... AND if I think it betters the Oyaide Silver cable, I am already using, then I will let you all know what it is...

Well yes actually, you could tell us what it is and where you are getting it from:scratch:

The Black Adder
04-09-2014, 08:15

Pathetic...

Gazjam
04-09-2014, 09:52
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61/gazjamster/postit.jpg (http://s434.photobucket.com/user/gazjamster/media/postit.jpg.html)

synsei
04-09-2014, 11:04
Is the 'cloak and dagger' stuff really necessary Bev it only serves to foment the sort of reaction we are seeing here? :scratch:

Marco
04-09-2014, 15:47
The membership have spoken…… I suggest that you listen to them, Bev.

Marco.

Ninanina
04-09-2014, 17:10
The membership have spoken…… I suggest that you listen to them, Bev.

Marco.
Whatever

Please close the thread....

BTH K10A
04-09-2014, 17:23
I am trying out yet another cable... a bit of waste of time I think

:rolleyes:

CageyH
04-09-2014, 18:23
I am assuming that from your responses, and lack of willingness to tell us what cable it was that you have been trying out a SLIC @ £246?

So what if you don't like it. All that matters is what you think is best to your ears in your system.

synsei
04-09-2014, 18:52
I am assuming that from your responses, and lack of willingness to tell us what cable it was that you have been trying out a SLIC @ £246?

So what if you don't like it. All that matters is what you think is best to your ears in your system.

Indeed Kevin. All this 'cloak & dagger' stuff plays right into the hands of those who accuse both Bev and the forum in general of hyping up products. It's not necessary and achieves absolutely nothing other than to put peoples backs up. :rolleyes:

Marco
04-09-2014, 18:55
If SLIC is behind this, I will truly lose the plot!

Marco.

Ninanina
04-09-2014, 19:08
Marco I have requested that you close the thread.... i've even been getting pm's from members about this thread... how sad is that

Anyhow please CLOSE THREAD... thanks....

Marco
04-09-2014, 19:11
Before I do that, Bev, please confirm that the cable you were auditioning wasn't a digital version of Slic, because if it was, we have a MAJOR problem... And as you're the most honest person one could ever meet, I know you won't lie.

Oh, and incidentally, I expect a yes or no answer on this.

Marco.

synsei
04-09-2014, 19:15
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/slicwarning.png (http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/Sgtgrash/media/slicwarning.png.html)

Ninanina
04-09-2014, 19:15
Please just close the thread... I'm fed up with it... thanks

Marco
04-09-2014, 19:19
Not as much as I'm fed up with Slic!!

So sorry, Bev, that's not an acceptable answer... Understand that I will NOT let this go until you answer my question, so once more:

WAS THE CABLE YOU WERE AUDITIONING A DIGITAL VERSION OF SLIC?

YES or NO??

Marco.

Ninanina
04-09-2014, 19:20
Marco just do what you think best... you are the boss... I am NOT answering anymore questions about this thread....

Close the thread or don't close the thread.... I am now not part of it... you have the thread to yourselves now ....

CageyH
04-09-2014, 19:23
Marco,

Out of interest, have you heard a SLIC? I don't believe in dismissing anything Audio wise until I have tried it. It could be pretty good, especially in a system like yours, where cable differences are obvious?

You never know....:eek:

Marco
04-09-2014, 19:26
Marco just do what you think best... you are the boss... I am NOT answering anymore questions about this thread....

Close the thread or don't close the thread.... I am now not part of it... you have the thread to yourselves now ....

Right, Bev, have it your own way, but enough is enough.

So listen up: in future, you will not be allowed to start any cable thread on this forum without revealing the full identity of the cables in question. Your failure to do so will result in a week's ban, and any thread started of that nature immediately removed.

I will have no more of this nonsense. I trust that I've made myself crystal clear!

Marco.

synsei
04-09-2014, 19:28
Bev, you know I am a straight-up kinda guy and tell it like it is. I cannot believe you didn't consider the possible ramifications when you chose to post up this thread after the utter carnage which were the various SLIC threads. Sorry hun but if even I can see where this might be heading, being the eternal optimist that I am, then it's bad news...

Marco
04-09-2014, 19:32
I totally agree, Dave. However, I'm not giving any further oxygen to this bullshit.

Marco.

Marco
05-09-2014, 07:09
As has just been pointed out to me by one of our moderators, the following rule should’ve been invoked as soon as Bev started this thread :http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?32381-New-ruling-posting-product-reviews as what she's posted here is in direct contradiction with that rule.

However, to be totally honest, it had been put on the back burner and sort of forgotten about (as the rule has just been recently introduced), but that won’t happen again. In future, it will be rigidly enforced, especially on all cable threads, so be warned folks!

Marco.