PDA

View Full Version : Album Club, September 2014: Sinéad O'Connor - 'The Lion and the Cobra'

Album Club
01-09-2014, 14:29
We start Round 3 of the Album Club with this month's choice, courtesy of Barry:

Sinéad O’Connor – ‘The Lion and the Cobra’

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61jg5sK23EL._SX355_.jpg

This stunning debut album from Sinéad O’Connor was released in 1987 and came as a welcome jolt. In much the same way that punk was a necessary and inevitable reaction to the corporate and formulaic AOR, and a kick up the backside to the whole music industry in the late ‘70s, so too, a decade later, O’Connor’s debut album was a refreshing change from the current pop output from the stables of Stock, Waterman and Aiken.

No fluffy, cuddly girl singer here; O’Connor’s debut album has an ‘attitude’ that had been sadly lacking for a while. Profound, courageous and with a great lyrical beauty, the album shows an emotional depth that is remarkable. Yet the album is not necessarily angry, in fact it starts in gentle fashion with ‘Jackie’ – and then it kicks into pace with the next two tracks ‘Mandinka’ and ‘Jerusalem’. I just love the way ‘Jerusalem’ follows ‘Mandinka’, and both tracks benefit from being played reasonably loudly.

I am reluctant to single out any particular tracks, as I like them all, but the following are worthy of mention:

‘Never Get Old’ is a delight and a surprise: it starts with Psalm 91 (recited in Gaelic by Enya), which continues throughout the track with O’Connor singing over it in English about music, which can ‘never get old’.

‘Troy’ is a somewhat wistful, but powerful, bittersweet song about an early love and her regrets of the experience which, it seems, sadly went awry.

‘I want your (hands on me)’ returns to the punchy delivery of earlier tracks, with O’Connor’s request being sung over some powerful percussion.

‘Drink Before the War’ is a wonderfully cynical anti-war song. Starting off in a gentle beguiling fashion it quickly evolves into an angry, but articulate, comment on war.

I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I do.

lAMx2YpDGAc 7liJyxyT1mo
eGFdJPqoh1M Qy5ZhDTxcFA
vlGtKt0gHhY Hnjntu-JzsY
4TftSV8m84Q khOR5Ej-h2I
PAd1B3MpqZs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_and_the_Cobra

Bazil
07-09-2014, 17:55
I don't listen to female vocalists but my wife had the album with "Nothing Compares to You" on, I like her voice its dynamic and atmospheric.
I've only listened to Lion and Cobra once but its pretty good, powerful singing, again atmospheric, I'll not vote yet.

Its on Spotify btw http://open.spotify.com/track/4Ejcm1CiOqHj618EvrlMwz

mr sneff
11-09-2014, 18:44
I knew nothing about Sinead O'Connor other than "Nothing Compares To You". Undoubtedly she has a powerful voice and there were one or two tracks that were OK, but I didn't listen to the whole album so I haven't voted. Can't imagine listening to the whole album in one go; perhaps in homeopathic doses though :)

Bazil
11-09-2014, 19:33
Yep its a very good album, excellent seeing its a debut, i don't think I'd buy it but its got me thinking about getting a "Best Of" Sinead.
There is a track on Moby's "18" album with haunting singing which I like, it reminds me of Sinead, looked it up and what do you know its is indeed Miss O'Connor.
I'll give this 8.

high.spirits
12-09-2014, 09:14
Certainly an interesting album.
I found it hard going at times and not something I would own.
Her voice is very distinctive and you probably love it or dislike it. Thanks for the suggestion, I would not have listened to her otherwise. 6/10.