PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for a cheap digital radio streamer?

montesquieu
29-08-2014, 20:38
Looking for something to plug in to the DAC to give me R3 / R4 ... preferably SPDIF output but USB would probably be OK ... any ideas?

I sold my SBT a while back (too cheaply as it turns out) but there must be a cheapo option for this now? I'm not really bothered about streaming audio files as in general I prefer CD.

purite audio
30-08-2014, 10:30
Your phone,laptop ,tablet?
Keith.

struth
30-08-2014, 11:16
+1

I use my tablet

struth
30-08-2014, 11:28
If you want to use your DAC you'd probably be better using the laptop. Have done it in my upstairs system and it sounds pretty good especially the BBC channels that use high rates

montesquieu
30-08-2014, 18:42
Hmmm not really. What I'm really after is a small cheap device (maybe phone controlled) that I can just switch on that gives me streamed radio (not DAB - I have DAB on a Denon tuner in the study and while it's OK for R3 and R4, it's very limited compared to proper digital radio).

I gave my tablet to my son (couldn't be bothered with it) and my laptops (PC for work, Mac for personal use) both live mainly in my study. Looking for something that doesn't involve moving devices around, plugging in etc every time I want to use it (I have all the bits to do that already but generally don't).

struth
30-08-2014, 18:52
there are a number of good streaming apps for your phone like tunein, internet radio etc and podomatic I think its called...then just use a cable from the headphone to your amp. works well. I also have an internet radio I got from aldi which is great. can also work as a pnp player. was not expensive, about £40 and has a out socket too. it just streams radio over your broadband from anywhere in the world....I often listen to an Aussie show, and a few American blues ones. You should be able to do it via a laptop too.
Hope this helps.

montesquieu
30-08-2014, 19:27
This is exactly the sort of device I was looking for a pointer to. I'm not interested in tying up a phone or a laptop by having to plug it in to a system just to hear the radio. Though something with SPDIF out would be better than a headphone out.

Canetoad
31-08-2014, 01:00
there are a number of good streaming apps for your phone like tunein, internet radio etc and podomatic I think its called...then just use a cable from the headphone to your amp. works well. I also have an internet radio I got from aldi which is great. can also work as a pnp player. was not expensive, about £40 and has a out socket too. it just streams radio over your broadband from anywhere in the world....I often listen to an Aussie show, and a few American blues ones. You should be able to do it via a laptop too.
Hope this helps.

What Aussie show is that Grant?

slate
31-08-2014, 06:28
a functional SBT are worth gold these days... selling it could mean that you have fully given up on Squeezeboxes; otherwise there are this option

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97803-piCoPlayer-Squeezelite-on-Microcore-linux-An-embedded-OS-in-RAM-with-Squeezelite&highlight=picoreplayer

purite audio
31-08-2014, 09:55
This is exactly the sort of device I was looking for a pointer to. I'm not interested in tying up a phone or a laptop by having to plug it in to a system just to hear the radio. Though something with SPDIF out would be better than a headphone out.

You no longer have to tie up a phone /tablet by connecting it directly to the HiFi, you can use something like the AIRtry wireless receiver, a little box which plugs into the HiFi, and you stream from your phone into it, it takes seconds to set up
and you can continue using your mac/PC normally whilst listening to radio, Spotify etc.
£65 inc everything.
Keith.

struth
31-08-2014, 10:22
What Aussie show is that Grant?
Used to listen to a Melbourne station every day but a power outage caused the memory to drop and can't find it yet, but recently been using outback radio ..its rather good

struth
31-08-2014, 10:26
This is my Tevion Internet radio/media streamer
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/31/c9163242ff0edd699287448645c189af.jpg

337alant
02-09-2014, 14:29
The Squeeze box radio is very good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logitech-Squeezebox-Internet-Radio-/131283618799?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_Portable Audio_Radios&hash=item1e911d0bef

Alan