PDA

View Full Version : Sony PS-6750 - mat suggestions

hermit
23-08-2014, 20:36
When I bought my Sony PS-6750, it came with a 5mm thick solid rubber mat from another Sony deck. I also got the original Sony oil filled mat which the previous owner didn't like as it was a bit lumpy. I have left it under a heavy piece of solid marble for a few days and succeeded in flattening it out to a degree but it is still slightly 'warped'.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement mat at under £50 new or s/h that would offer an improvement over the 5mm solid rubber mat. Ideally the design of the mat should not be too modern as I would like to keep the deck looking as original as possible but this aspect is not a deal-breaker.

So far the Transfi Reso-mat has caught my eye (despite its modern looks) and I wonder if anyone has tried this out with a DD deck.

I'm open to any other suggestions. It would also be helpful if the mat was not a magnet for cat hair! I think that rules out felt mats.

walpurgis
23-08-2014, 20:50
I've generally preferred slightly heavier rubber mats on Japanese turntables including DDs. Mainly I think, because they tend to have lighter platters that ring quite easily and benefit from a bit of added mass and damping.

struth
23-08-2014, 20:56
When I bought my Sony PS-6750, it came with a 5mm thick solid rubber mat from another Sony deck. I also got the original Sony oil filled mat which the previous owner didn't like as it was a bit lumpy. I have left it under a heavy piece of solid marble for a few days and succeeded in flattening it out to a degree but it is still slightly 'warped'.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement mat at under £50 new or s/h that would offer an improvement over the 5mm solid rubber mat. Ideally the design of the mat should not be too modern as I would like to keep the deck looking as original as possible but this aspect is not a deal-breaker.

So far the Transfi Reso-mat has caught my eye (despite its modern looks) and I wonder if anyone has tried this out with a DD deck.

I'm open to any other suggestions. It would also be helpful if the mat was not a magnet for cat hair! I think that rules out felt mats.

I am using one on my arezzo and like it. I think, but not sure, that Marco tried one on his Techie.

oldius
24-08-2014, 06:33
I have a TTS8000 which already has a damped platter. I replaced the original oil filled mat with an SDS isoplatmat.

It's an outstanding mat for lighter platters and the less existing damping you have, the greater will be its effectiveness. It retails new for about £90 but your deck is worth that investment. They occasionally come up used for around the £50 mark but you have to be quick.

A number of hardcore audiophiles and box swappers have bought one after "hearing" the effect of mine.

Idlewithnodrive
24-08-2014, 08:30
I use a combination of a 3 mm Achromat with a 2 mm Cork Rubber compound mat on top of that for my idler and it works very well.

YNWaN
24-08-2014, 08:55
I am using one on my arezzo and like it. I think, but not sure, that Marco tried one on his Techie.

I believe Marco has since been led astray by another option - probably not suitable for this situation though.

hermit
24-08-2014, 11:25
I have a TTS8000 which already has a damped platter. I replaced the original oil filled mat with an SDS isoplatmat.

It's an outstanding mat for lighter platters and the less existing damping you have, the greater will be its effectiveness. It retails new for about £90 but your deck is worth that investment. They occasionally come up used for around the £50 mark but you have to be quick.

A number of hardcore audiophiles and box swappers have bought one after "hearing" the effect of mine.

Many thanks for all your replies.

Geoff's suggestion of the SDS Isoplatmat is particularly interesting as it seems the Isoplatmat offers an improvement over the original Sony oil-filled mat which is common to both the PS-6750 and TTS-8000. I found a photo of the underside of the TTS-8000 platter on the vintage knob and I can see that the PS-6750 also shares the same pale yellow platter damping material as its big brother. So, it would appear that the SDS mat is a pretty safe bet for my platter given Geoff's experiences.

I'll just have to save up for a bit but it looks like the SDS mat is worth the extra cost.

Geoff, do you also use the IsoCover or just the Isoplatmat on its own?

oldius
24-08-2014, 20:53
I don't use the cover but I think I should and will probably get one. Without it the record tends to take a little time to grip.

oldius
25-08-2014, 07:13
I've bought the cover now; thanks for the reminder.

hermit
26-08-2014, 13:53
Thanks to a couple of generous birthday gifts, I have placed an order today for the isoplatmat and cover.

This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At9ydSzfJck) video showing it's effectiveness was the clincher - very impressive.

oldius
26-08-2014, 18:57
Let us know how you get on with the mat.

DSJR
26-08-2014, 20:13
Would be fun if the original once expensive oil filled mat doesn't out-perform all contenders ;) Sony knew what they were doing with the 6750 and 8750 and I found the wooden-bodied Grado Signature models sounded lovely with them (useless info perhaps).

oldius
26-08-2014, 21:22
I think the original oil filled mat would definitely destroy nearly all competitors. Unfortunately, over time, the oil within tends to move towards the outer of the mat, creating an uneven surface. I have bathed mine in warm water and sat it under a hundred albums for days in the hope of a resurrection but to no avail.

struth
26-08-2014, 21:30
its maybe some gas yhats come out of the oil ? if its knacked anyways you could try puncturing it atop and squeeze a little out the reseal.

Light Capture
28-08-2014, 01:12
I've generally preferred slightly heavier rubber mats on Japanese turntables including DDs. Mainly I think, because they tend to have lighter platters that ring quite easily and benefit from a bit of added mass and damping.
I likewise agree.

Hemit, I have the PS6750 and like the oil filled mat a lot. But I did try the thick rubber mats that the Technics SL-D2 uses and I sounds quite nice on the Sony.

hermit
28-08-2014, 14:49
I likewise agree.

Hemit, I have the PS6750 and like the oil filled mat a lot. But I did try the thick rubber mats that the Technics SL-D2 uses and I sounds quite nice on the Sony.

Thanks for your comments Mike. I would agree that the PS-6750 does sound good with the thick rubber mat that I am using now. If the original oil filled mat was flat, I wouldn't have looked to replace it as it has a reputation for being very neutral and I value originality. However, given the condition of the original mat, I'm looking forward to the Isoplatmat and Isocover arriving and hope that they will offer a noticeable improvement over the rubber mat. I'll post back once I have spent a few days with the Isoplatmat.

hermit
04-09-2014, 15:59
Just to update the thread. I've had the SDS mat and cover for a few days now and I have to say it was a very worthwhile investment. The improvement has been quite marked. I feel the bass and mids are cleaner and imaging seems to have benefited also.

Thanks for all your guidance chaps.

oldius
05-09-2014, 21:30
Nice to hear that Paul. They will also do larger pieces, cut to size that will make a fantastic bit of isolation.

hermit
06-09-2014, 16:35
Nice to hear that Paul. They will also do larger pieces, cut to size that will make a fantastic bit of isolation.

Yes. It's definitely clever stuff. It was my intention to order SDS feet for my turntable the next time I have a bit of spare cash. The deck currently resides on a glass shelf which sits on a removable spiked frame on top of my hifi rack. Now that I know that I can get a sheet of SDS cut to size, I will investigate the costs of replacing the glass shelf and spiked frame with an SDS shelf. This would look a lot neater than the current arrangement and would clearly offer far superior isolation.

Soundeck
04-10-2014, 09:17
Take a look at this link, there are reviews and videos showing IsoPlatMat & IsoFeet. I alos offer a 10% refund if you mention Art of Sound with your order.

http://www.sounddampedsteel.com/hifi.html

Cheers

Les

Gromit
06-10-2014, 10:01
Thanks for the feedback on the SDS Paul - that's very encouraging. I'm using the original oil-filled mat on my Sony and it does work extremely well. I tried an Achromat on it and wasn't convinced, it seemed to cause a 'suck-out' in the upper bass which whilst appearing to clean things up it made pitch coherence slightly vague, robbing instruments of body and colour. Didn't take long to convince me that the Sony mat was better but I'm usually open to trying other stuff.

Alan D
09-10-2014, 19:30
I also have a Sony PS-6750 that I have owned from new.
A couple of years ago I also replaced the original oil filled mat with a 5mm Achromat.
I would be interested to try an SDS mat and cover, what size did you order?

I also need to change the cartridge, as it has the original Ortofon VMS20 MKII on it which I purchased at the same time. (I have changed Stylus).

hermit
09-10-2014, 23:28
Thanks for the feedback on the SDS Paul - that's very encouraging. I'm using the original oil-filled mat on my Sony and it does work extremely well. I tried an Achromat on it and wasn't convinced, it seemed to cause a 'suck-out' in the upper bass which whilst appearing to clean things up it made pitch coherence slightly vague, robbing instruments of body and colour. Didn't take long to convince me that the Sony mat was better but I'm usually open to trying other stuff.

Richard, I was very impressed with the SDS mat but I was comparing it to a thick solid rubber mat not the oil filled mat. I'd be interested to hear how the sds mat fares against the oil filled mat.

I also have a Sony PS-6750 that I have owned from new.
A couple of years ago I also replaced the original oil filled mat with a 5mm Achromat.
I would be interested to try an SDS mat and cover, what size did you order?

I also need to change the cartridge, as it has the original Ortofon VMS20 MKII on it which I purchased at the same time. (I have changed Stylus).

Alan, I bought the 295mm isoplatmat and cover in plain black. Les of SDS recommended the heavier stainless steel isoplatmat but funds couldn't stretch. I also didn't fancy taxing the 40 year old motor with the extra weight of the stainless steel mat.

Soundeck
16-12-2014, 09:58
Hello Hermit.... How are you getting on with the isoplatmat?

Idlewithnodrive
16-12-2014, 20:55
I much prefer the oil filled mat to the Achromat.

Just seems more natural sounding somehow; nothing at all emphasised.

hermit
17-12-2014, 00:30
Hello Hermit.... How are you getting on with the isoplatmat?

I'm very happy with it Les.