PDA

View Full Version : Multiple input amps

brian2957
21-08-2014, 15:57
For the last couple of years I've been using single input amps and been very happy with them as I usually only have one source in my system . These days it's a Korus Computer Audio music server into a Rega DAC which I'm very happy with .
A couple of weeks ago a big ol' Sony TA- FB 930R AMP came up for sale on Ebay from a seller who lived a couple of miles away and I jumped at it . TBH with you I really rate this amp and for me it's a keeper , probably in the long term .
Today I remembered something I read in a magazine years ago , by Jimmy Hughes I think . He suggested trying all the inputs into any amp , particularly the 'Tape out ' :scratch: to see which sounded the best . So being a bit bored today ( no family at home to run after ) I tried this , not expecting there to be any difference . Well. it's not often I'm right but I was wrong again. The inputs on the big Sony amp all sound different . I eventually settled on the fourth from the left - Tape 2 / MD / Output .

It just sounds better than all the rest . Bigger soundstage , better , tighter and deeper bass , and more slam . And the best bit - it cost nothing :eyebrows:
Definetely worth a try for those willing to experiment . Nothing to lose and all to gain :)

Firebottle
21-08-2014, 16:39
That's a brilliant suggestion Brian. My big NEC has multiple inputs including two tape inputs, I'll give it a try.

Cheers, Alan

Macca
21-08-2014, 16:53
I used to have an amp that I reckoned was best on the tuner input. But unless the differences are really noticeable this could be a good way to contract audiophilia nervosa. If you don't already have it ;)

brian2957
21-08-2014, 16:53
Not a problem Alan . I was quite surprised at the differences.

Spectral Morn
23-08-2014, 07:41
It is possible that inputs that sound best have been used signal path burnt in ones that sound worse, never used. I am not sure about this but I have read a number of reviews over the years which mention this, therefore all spinal paths need run in. In saying that I know certain types of line inputs may be set up to suit what the designers expect to be hooked up to them, so they measure/behave differently.

Just a thought, any mileage in this?

Regards Neil

Macca
23-08-2014, 07:52
I've read that in the Seventies some amp manufacturers paid special attention to the Tuner input since back then that was most purchaser's main source. But I have no idea how true that is.

synsei
23-08-2014, 08:18
My JVC gives of its best through its CD input, but then it does have a CD Direct switch which probably accounts for this ;)

brian2957
23-08-2014, 08:23
IIRC the thought behind this was that the tape output provided the cleanest / shortest path for the signal . I may be wrong here , however it does sound distinctly better than the rest IMO .

walpurgis
23-08-2014, 09:58
On older amps , maybe a difference is caused by how clean/dirty/worn the input selector switch contacts are?

brian2957
23-08-2014, 11:06
I'm not sure if he was using an older amp or not Geoff.

walpurgis
23-08-2014, 11:12
I suppose the input and output socket and cable plug cleanliness could be an influence too. Assuming a good connection contact is achieved in the first place.

istari_knight
23-08-2014, 16:08
On the Sony each input is switched via an individual relay... Maybe some are less worn than others ? That or its something to do with socket/plug interface as Geoff says. All inputs are created equal on these so I'm struggling to think what else could influence it :scratch:

struth
23-08-2014, 21:06
I would imagine the ones least used may sound more like new due to least wear as long as the terminals are clean.

brian2957
24-08-2014, 00:09
Don't know chaps , but tried swapping them around again today and got the same result :scratch: