PDA

View Full Version : War Of The Worlds - The New Generation

synsei
20-08-2014, 18:02
http://eil.com/images/main/Jeff+Wayne+-+The+War+Of+the+Worlds+-+The+New+Generation+-+DOUBLE+LP-578666.jpg

I have just tried to listen to this with an open mind and whilst musically it is generally okay, if a little fussy in parts, there are a couple of serious casting issues.

As much as I admire Liam Neeson his voice just doesn't possess the gravitas needed for the part of the narrator. My personal choice for the role would have been Sir Anthony Hopkins who IMO is easily capable of matching Richard Burton on a good day.

Ricky Wilson as the Artilleryman? Do me a favour!!! As musically talented as he is, on this album he's about as characterful as a dead rat. It would have been far more fun to have cast someone with a regional accent such as one of the Gallagher brothers, this would have given the Artilleryman the added dimension so desperately needed here.

Maverick Sabre is trying way to hard to out-'Lynott' Phil, a singularly impossible task. It would have been far more preferable to go in a completely different direction with this character to keep things fresh, perhaps employing the services of Daman Albarn for the part and maybe introducing a less manic but somewhat more paranoid parson.

Now I like Joss Stone but she isn't entirely successful in the part of Beth. I wouldn't necessarily replace her but rather direct her to perform the part in a similar style to that of Julie Covington, who got it down pretty much perfectly on the original album.

The two great surprises of the album are Garry Barlow and Alex Clare, both of whom really run with the spirit of the original. Barlow's portrayal of Forever Autumn in particular is lovely and easily a match for the original. Clare's performance on Thunderchild is virtually indistinguishable from the original, which suits me just fine as it is an epic song.

All in all I came away from this feeling that The New Generation has been a lost opportunity to refresh this iconic franchise... :eyebrows:

slate
20-08-2014, 18:14
a good excuse to dust of the old version; it has been to long..... not sure I have played it since Spielberg let a manic Tom Cruice loose on it in 2005... wow has it been that long

synsei
20-08-2014, 18:28
One question I forgot to add to my OP is, why hasn't there been a follow up to WotW's? It would seem that Mr Wayne has ignored the final scene of his own album. They return Jeff and I'd be keen to know what happens next... ;)

prestonchipfryer
20-08-2014, 18:37
I have bought this and was disappointed, it's not a patch on the original. In December, however, we've booked to see the stage version at the BIC, Bournemouth, so it will be interesting to see how the stage show pans out.

Spectral Morn
20-08-2014, 20:13
Struck me as a has-been one hit wonder trying to re milk his one and only masterpiece. The original is wonderful and was my first proper rock/prog music listening experience, a Christmas present from my Mum and Dad and frankly in my opinion was crazy to be remade.

I saw the first series of concerts which was well done with most of the originals in place Burton narrating via a 3D Hologram and loved it but I guess this New Generation album was done to facilitate live concerts but in my view it was a bad decision and should never have been recorded.

Regards Neil

sparrow
20-08-2014, 20:21
I like the new one. I think it sounds fresh and uses more effects. The original cant be bettered though. I also bought it on release and got a replacement for christmas in the early 80's.

The Black Adder
27-08-2014, 11:33
A friend had it on when I visited a few months ago.. I asked him to turn it off, IMO it was dreadful but each to their own, like. :)