PDA

View Full Version : Caiman MK 1 with ASYNCH-1 USB to SPDIF or Caiman II

Darren Cotter
19-08-2014, 16:28
Hi Stan

I have a Beresford Caiman MK1 DAC (Gator, OPA827 op amp) with a 15v Mark Grant linear power supply on its way. The Caiman connected to my laptop with a Furutech Formula 2 USB cable and to my amp with a MS Audio/Klotz MC5000 home made interconnect.

My question is, if I purchase one of your ASYNCH-1 USB to SPDIF converters and used a Mark Grant G1000HD to connect it to the Caiman, do you think this would be a worthwhile upgrade? Or would I be better off selling my Caiman and getting a Caiman II and continue using the USB input?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards

Darren

StanleyB
19-08-2014, 21:26
I would go for the Caiman MKII myself, or a Bushmaster II and ASYNCH-1. Quite a few people have ordered the 2nd option for some unknown reason. The Caiman MKI is just not capable of retrieving the kind of information that the BM and CII has shown to exist in many 24 bit audio tracks many of us thought we knew inside out.
But you can of course give the ASYNCH-1 a try with the Caiman MKI to see if it will tie you up for the time being.

Darren Cotter
20-08-2014, 07:10
Hi Stan

Thanks for the reply.

I bought a ifi i-DAC Micro DAC for my laptop yesterday, so it will be a month or two before I can get the ASYNCH-1. Is the Caiman II better using the USB input, or using an ASYNCH-1?

Regards

Darren

StanleyB
21-08-2014, 07:50
Is the Caiman II better using the USB input, or using an ASYNCH-1?
I myself prefer using the ASYNCH-1 with the Caiman II. The ASYNCH-1 hooks up directly to my SB Touch, which makes it a more attractive proposition for 24 bit files.

mkrzych
06-10-2014, 11:16
I myself prefer using the ASYNCH-1 with the Caiman II. The ASYNCH-1 hooks up directly to my SB Touch, which makes it a more attractive proposition for 24 bit files.

One question here Stan. If I am not so much interested in 24/192 files does it mean that USB implementation of CMII is in pair with the ASYNCH-1 or ASYNCH-1 is better?

mkrzych
07-10-2014, 06:33
One question here Stan. If I am not so much interested in 24/192 files does it mean that USB implementation of CMII is in pair with the ASYNCH-1 or ASYNCH-1 is better?

Anyone though?

StanleyB
07-10-2014, 10:53
The answer is purely a personal opinion, which is that I have no idea. I don't use USB for music purposes. So I wouldn't call myself an expert on USB quality playback.

mkrzych
07-10-2014, 11:19
The answer is purely a personal opinion, which is that I have no idea. I don't use USB for music purposes. So I wouldn't call myself an expert on USB quality playback.

But you did testing for CMII to see how all the inputs perform for sure. I wondering if I don't care too much for 24/192 files, is there any benefit to use ASYNCH converter instead of direct TOSLINK from my Macbook?

StanleyB
07-10-2014, 13:32
Yes I did test the inputs ad they produced recognizable audio sounds. As for benefits of one method of connection over another: that's down to personal taste and availability of any alternative connection option. If you are expecting a set of answers for you to follow, why not flick a coin and pick Heads as the answer?

mkrzych
07-10-2014, 15:28
Yes I did test the inputs ad they produced recognizable audio sounds. As for benefits of one method of connection over another: that's down to personal taste and availability of any alternative connection option. If you are expecting a set of answers for you to follow, why not flick a coin and pick Heads as the answer?

Ok , so trying to mitigate some word mumbo jumbo, what is your preference? Supposing that if 24/192 is not majority using ASYNCH I'll get only 24/88.2 support which afair is not supported over toslink right?