PDA

View Full Version : Stax adapter/energizer with valve amps

jaym481
18-08-2014, 14:36
Does anyone know if there are any issues using one of the Stax adapter/energizers with a valve amp? This is rather than a Stax dedicated amplifier. I'm looking at some space in a very small room (my "office"), and I have some ideas for a second setup using gear I already have, but not in my main system. The size of the room and a few other considerations make headphones ideal, but I only have my Stax headphones from my main system. I was wondering if getting an energizer/adapter would be the most economical solution, rather than buying a whole new headphone setup (I'm also lacking a headphone amp, and no headphone output on the preamp I intend to use).

So, my big concern is whether the adapter/energizer will present the correct load to the speaker outputs of the amp(s)?

SquireC
20-08-2014, 11:06
YES.

I have that same set up and prefer a passive energizer to the Stax Valve energisers like the STM1. (The Stax valve energisers, take a line out feed from the pre amp, whereas the passive energisers take it from the speaker out's on the valve amp - so you get your valve amp's sound quality).

BUT ...finding an energiser will not be easy.

If you have the pro Stax's - six pin, you'll need a Stax SRD 7SB/Mk2 or SRD Pro and these are not easy to find at all. If you have ordinary bias Stax headphones - five pin, you just need a SRD 7 energiser.

Conversely, you could use a Woo Wee, but you would have to import from the USA.

jaym481
22-08-2014, 19:35
Thanks Dave. I'll keep an eye out for a suitable Pro energizer.