PDA

View Full Version : Mastering and releasing my own sampled mix

The Black Adder
18-08-2014, 10:25
Hi all.

I recently dug up a composition that I made in the mid 90's. It was an experimental mix of tape loops (yes, real tape loops) and digitally sampled loops from music I listened to back then. Listening to it after all this time I found that it was really quite good yet some places need work but on a whole it's really quite contemporary.

It was for an exhibition all about a near death experience of a friend where he found himself speaking to someone, a woman about her death and what happened when she met the devil. The wording I found for this was from a very strange program on TV.

Yes it's certainly not a Kylie album... lol but it's a psychedelic mix of stuff to which ends upon an awakening so it's not all morbid... lol

I wondered if anyone has any information about releasing music (on a limited run of course) that uses samples from other artists. There is youtube of course but still IIt's been a long time now since I did anything like this. What I'd like to do is to eventually put it on vinyl but maybe just a few copies and not for sale as a few of my friends who were involved at the start would like a copy.

Any info would be great.

Cheers

YNWaN
18-08-2014, 10:53
I know that copyright payment to artists for the right to use samples of their work is a sensitive subject and policed quite rigorously these days.

I know that a couple of years ago a friend wanted to use the start of an AC-DC track in a (commercial) video and the payment wanted was thousands.

I know you can get records cut in small quantities, but it isn't cheap.

If it's just for a few friends why not copy it in high res to a USB and give them that?

The Black Adder
18-08-2014, 10:57
I know that copyright payment to artists for the right to use samples of their work is a sensitive subject and policed quite rigorously these days.

I know that a couple of years ago a friend wanted to use the start of an AC-DC track in a (commercial) video and the payment wanted was thousands.

I know you can get records cut in small quantities, but it isn't cheap.

If it's just for a few friends why not copy it in high res to a USB and give them that?

Cool, thanks. I thought as much regarding licencing.

They would like a vinyl version as I have artwork still set up for the promo copies. I could give them a cd I suppose but it doesn't feel very special really.

YNWaN
18-08-2014, 11:09
No, I accept that. Some artists also supply high-res artwork on the USB stick (I have a Dead CCan Dance album like that).

I did enquire about record production once as I wanted to do a test disk (but lost interest in the end) - I'll see if I can find the details; but I think if you were to have a record pressed the manufacturers would want assurance that you own the copyright to it all - and you don't really if it is based on other artists samples.