PDA

View Full Version : USB Cable's - do they vary in sound quality ?

steve s
17-08-2014, 20:23
I connect my laptop to my Fiio X5, in DAC mode, using the the stock USB cable that came with it. I've always been of the thinking that a USB cable either worked or it didn't, with no inbetween. Yet, seeing all the expensive and hyped up cables on the market at the moment, I've began to wonder. Surely people dont spend so much on a USB cable when there isn't even the slightest chance of it sounding better. Are they buying for artistic value, audiophile bling so to speak. I get that ..... some of them really are drop dead gorgeous !!

So now I'm confused. I'm no teckie but surely there can be no effect on the sound from one usb cable to another as long as its connectors fit properly. They either let the one's and zero's thru or they don't. There's much debate about analogue cables and their merits, but there's no arguing the fact that a oxygen free twin 4mm speaker cable is going to sound better than bell wire. So is that the case with digital ?

I wouldn't like to think I was missing out on an extra few percent of SQ for the sake of a twenty quid cable !! ;)

Tim
17-08-2014, 20:45
Oh my goodness Steve, you are opening a huge can of worms here :eek:

For me all I can say is try and test this for yourself, as it's the only way to satisfy ones curiosity, as hype is just that, hype. For sure a cheapo £1.99 eBay USB cable can sound poor compared to an equivalent Hi-Fi cable, but that's more down to the assembly, materials and connectors, but a £500 'Gucci' cable and a very well put together mass produced Belkin - well that's another story? I'm a file based audio advocate, but I wouldn't think to spend more than a tenner on a USB cable and I have tried some expensive ones. Mind you I am deaf, so you have to bear that in mind ;)

This for me is the best USB connector I have found, but needs a system able to accept it ergonomically, cheap as chips too.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/1_zps390aa19f.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/1_zps390aa19f.jpg.html)

Macca
17-08-2014, 20:51
If it is all just ones and zeros then why do cd transports sound different? Seriously though there are other forums out there where this has been debated to death, sometimes by people who actually know what they are talking about. The upshot seems to be that things are not as clear cut in the world of digital as some might have you believe. You could get a fancy usb cable on home trial and test it for yourself. No better? Then send it back.

walpurgis
17-08-2014, 20:57
Dunno about USB cables, but RCA digital interconnects vary greatly in the effect they have on the sound, so I'd assume the same applies here.

Spectral Morn
17-08-2014, 21:06
In my experience they do make a difference. I have compared Belkin Gold to several dearer audiophile cables from Wireworld and compared those cables to dearer cables from iFi Audio and Locus Designs and there are marked differences and improvements to be had. However at the minute my preference is a HiFace Two and an spdif co ax cable.

Regards Neil

RichB
17-08-2014, 21:22
Just to be sure my ears weren't playing tricks on me, I asked another member from this forum who I always find to be very honest about these things to sit with me whilst we tried a cheapo cable, a Supra USB 2.0 and a Furutech Formula 2.

Our ears told us that there were clear differences between them all and that we actually preferred the supra.

Like all things in hobby I think good materials and construction is worth paying for, foo definitely isn't. For 29£ the supra was about as far as I'd be prepared to go for an experiment and I'm happy I did.

Fwiw I didn't get on with the furutech, it seemed to make the music smudged.

brucew268
17-08-2014, 21:24
I've been using a bog standard Lindy cable and yes, have found sound differences between each of the 6 cables I've tried at wildly different price points. Each has a tendency to do one or two things better than others but not quite as good in another area. So far I slightly prefer the Lindy, but will probably try 2-3 more over the next year. Of course the transparency and synergy of your existing equipment may likely play a role.

steve s
17-08-2014, 21:27
If it is all just ones and zeros then why do cd transports sound different? Seriously though there are other forums out there where this has been debated to death, sometimes by people who actually know what they are talking about. The upshot seems to be that things are not as clear cut in the world of digital as some might have you believe. You could get a fancy usb cable on home trial and test it for yourself. No better? Then send it back.

Martin, I was only asking. I realise I dont know what I'm talking about digitally, which is why I came to this forum to ask the question. I thought this was the right place for cable and interconnect talk. As for the other forums debating this to death, I wasn't aware of that .... I'm new to AOS

Sorry if I got under your skin Martin

BTW... I got your point about the CD transports. Never occurred to me, many thanks

Tim
17-08-2014, 21:31
In your defence Steve, the ones and zeros vs CD transports debate is and entirely different kettle of fish (sorry Martin). CD transports sound different for many other reasons than just the transference of digital data, so not IMO a very good analogy for comparison.

steve s
17-08-2014, 21:37
Thanks guys for your comments, I realise now its not a black or white subject.... and that it would probably be best to check out a more substantial cable, which is what I wanted to know.

StanleyB
17-08-2014, 21:48
If it is all just ones and zeros then why do cd transports sound different?
It is not just about ones and zeros. It is also about the frequency, latency, mark to space ratio, and voltage level. Anyone of those can seriously affect the ones and zeros.

Gazjam
17-08-2014, 21:51
Listen to different cables if you get the chance, they DO make a difference.
System synergy (as always) is a factor.

Better cables sound better.

Macca
17-08-2014, 21:54
Martin, I was only asking. I realise I dont know what I'm talking about digitally, which is why I came to this forum to ask the question. I thought this was the right place for cable and interconnect talk. As for the other forums debating this to death, I wasn't aware of that .... I'm new to AOS

Sorry if I got under your skin Martin

BTW... I got your point about the CD transports. Never occurred to me, many thanks

Sorry Steve my fault, reading back my post I don't think I made my point very clearly. Whatever it was. Anyway I wasn't annoyed or anything. Please carry on as you were.

Tim
17-08-2014, 21:56
I realise now its not a black or white subject....
It never is Steve and that's before you take into consideration peoples opinions but more importantly personal preference for sound, as that's often forgotten.

I have been where you are now myself and ultimately only you can be the final arbitrator, but it is worth exploring as it certainly does make a difference, but it becomes marginal as you up the 'price tag'. As others have remarked the quality of construction of the cable and connectors is important, as is separating the data lines away from the 5V power lines and the cable screening. If you get adventurous, pull a (cheap) USB cable apart and think about how you could improve it yourself, it's not that difficult and there are only 4 wires, so not much there in the first place. From a personal experience point of view I found a short cable preferable and a ceiling of around £50 if you want to go beyond a bog standard Belkin. Others may disagree, but ultimately you need to try it yourself, or that itch won't ever go away ;)

Ninanina
17-08-2014, 22:17
Hi Steve
Some people think that cables make little or no difference and some think they do.. I believe in the latter, that is as long as your system is revealing enough to show cable changes, some systems just are not capable of revealing these differences I'm afraid ... I should point out that my experience is with RCA interconnects and speaker cable and not USB cable but I don't see why a USB cable should be any different in that respect

As I am sure you have seen USB cables can cost from just a couple of pound up to many hundreds, even thousands, but I would first maybe try a 'non stock' cable costing maybe £20' ish and see how you get on. When cables are priced in the hundreds you can almost always have a set on trial for maybe 2-4 weeks, depending on dealer, however at £20'ish that won't be the case but you are only spending 'reasonably' little

That'd be my suggestion, and I hope that helps.. ;)

I COULD recommend some good priced USB cables around the £20-25 mark but people would be on my case if I did that as they would see it as advertising ....... ;)

Macca
18-08-2014, 07:37
I should point out that my experience is with RCA interconnects and speaker cable and not USB cable but I don't see why a USB cable should be any different in that respect

Really? Whilst pretty much everyone accepts that cables sending analogue signals can sound different that is not the case with a digital signal. If you 'upgrade' the usb cable on your printer will your Word document look any different when you print it off?

Okay I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here but these things have to be considered.

Clive
18-08-2014, 08:54
I find the power and grounding layout of USB cables has an effect, ideally don't use cables with the 5V line (which of course is non USB-compliant). It may be that SQ changes more with DACs that use USB power, some for the whole DAC and some just for the USB input converter. The ground from computer to DAC will be really noisy and it seems you can't totally isolate a DAC from this. Even galvanic isolation cannot be 100% successful as it's not applied to all 4 USB wires. Noise either seems to bleed into the data wires or noise gets into the DAC via the ground / 5V line. I find shorter cables sound better (as Tim mentioned), it could be that longer cables are better aerials and therefore pick up more noise.

Spectral Morn
18-08-2014, 10:14
I find the power and grounding layout of USB cables has an effect, ideally don't use cables with the 5V line (which of course is non USB-compliant). It may be that SQ changes more with DACs that use USB power, some for the whole DAC and some just for the USB input converter. The ground from computer to DAC will be really noisy and it seems you can't totally isolate a DAC from this. Even galvanic isolation cannot be 100% successful as it's not applied to all 4 USB wires. Noise either seems to bleed into the data wires or noise gets into the DAC via the ground / 5V line. I find shorter cables sound better (as Tim mentioned), it could be that longer cables are better aerials and therefore pick up more noise.

All my listening was done with a DAC which doesn't use power derived from the USB.

Regards Neil

Spectral Morn
18-08-2014, 10:17
Really? Whilst pretty much everyone accepts that cables sending analogue signals can sound different that is not the case with a digital signal. If you 'upgrade' the usb cable on your printer will your Word document look any different when you print it off?

Okay I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here but these things have to be considered.

Somewhat of a red herring example imho but not having compared USBs on printers (I don't own a printer) I can't say if there would or would not be a difference. However if one was going to do this surely quality high resolution images would be the way to go not text.

Maybe this wouldn't work because of the way printers print data.....

Regards Neil

YNWaN
18-08-2014, 10:46
...I should point out that my experience is with RCA interconnects and speaker cable and not USB cable...

I COULD recommend some good priced USB cables around the £20-25 mark but people would be on my case if I did that as they would see it as advertising ....... ;)

How could you make any recommendations when, as you say, you haven't tried any?

The Black Adder
18-08-2014, 10:51
The USB plug/socket to me has always seemed to be naff to be honest so is that something to think upon rather than just the cable itself? For instance is there any cables with plugs that improve the connection as I doubt that there are any improved sockets to which could be the other flaw. I'm talking about the square USB plug/socket more than anything.

Clive
18-08-2014, 10:55
My DAC states it is galvanicaly isolated which I take to mean does not take from or connect to the power line of the cable. Perhaps all these USB DACs designed for use with computers are the ones that have their worlds miraculously changed by the right cables.

I have long and short USB cables sold as offering magic and medium length from out the DAC's box as well as that trusted fall back Maplin. I cannot see what the relatively short distance differences will do to alter the sound. Analogue cables bring LCR to the party but although I have no PhD in physics I cannot for the life of me imagine what would make a pair of wires passing off/ons sound different.

This of course completely contradicts the subjective experience of some. I am still waiting to sit in the same room as someone who does hear a difference twixt his USB cables and be shown the error of my ways.

If it makes you feel better buy a super cable.
GI doesn't totally isolate the DAC and as Neil says he found, I too have found even DACs not using power from the computer benefit from "better"cables; for me it's usually those without the 5V line. As for "better" cables - they absolutely do not need to be expensive. Sure some of the expensive ones work well but cheap ones can be just as good. The best of my cables which include the 5V line is one which came with a Toshiba disk drive. Cables without the 5V line (eg the iFi Gemini) are even better.

YNWaN
18-08-2014, 11:00
I think you need to consider what information is being passed in a USB cable and the manner in which it is being passed and received. The conveyance of a digital signal is quite unlike that of an analogue signal. Remember, with digital signals there are only two states, the information is either being transmitted or it is not. As Clive has mentioned earlier, most differences seem to relate to the fact that USB can also carry power to the component.

I attended a Chord demo (the cable people not the amp people) and USB cable differences were demonstrated and heard - but that was with a USB powered DAC.

My DAC states it is galvanicaly isolated which I take to mean does not take from or connect to the power line of the cable.

That's not what it means though.

Clive
18-08-2014, 11:29
To clarify:

Galvanic Isolation can only be performed on the two data lines, it cannot be applied to the Ground and 5V lines.

I've borrowed these works from elsewhere:
You cannot, by definition apply galvanic isolation to power lines. Well, you could using some form of SMPS voltage converter, but I think that's not likely.

There are two places you could isolate. The incoming USB data lines, or the outgoing I2S or SPDIF data. If you isolate the input then the USB interface cannot take its power from the USB port and must be supplied from elsewhere. If you isolate the output then the USB interface can either use the USB port supply or something independent.

Clive
18-08-2014, 11:42
I am starting to feel deeply inadequate that I cannot hear these others hear (not)
I wouldn't feel to bad :-) it's often not an earth shattering difference. It can be a much greater difference when the dac is USB powered and you power it from a separate power supply.

Spectral Morn
18-08-2014, 11:47
And what do you think it means. Remember you do not know my make of DAC.

I am starting to feel deeply inadequate that I cannot hear these others hear (not)

Alan, no one is saying anything directed at you or anyone who can or can't hear these things, there has been no tone. Folks are reporting what they have heard. In fact the only tone as such has started to come from you and out of the blue.

I am curious in a broader sense to know why some can hear nothing in many areas of the audio world and many can hear improvements and differences. Its an interesting question and placebo and expectation bias doesn't in my view explain things. There should be a technical way to explain in full or in part what folks can hear.

Anyway folks (MOD Hat on) please don't let this discussion go off and become rude and disrespectful. Please keep it friendly and constructive. Thank you in advance.

Regards Neil

YNWaN
18-08-2014, 11:47
And what do you think it means. Remember you do not know my make of DAC.

Alan, it doesn't matter what DAC you have - the term 'galvanic isolation' isn't one that a manufacturer can apply a meaning to of their own choice. Your DAC probably isn't powered via the USB, but that's another matter and the term galvanic isolation doesn't refer to it. Clive has explained above.

I certainly wouldn't feel inadequate (and my point had nothing to do with criticising your hearing - purely your understanding of the term 'galvanic isolation'), a well designed DAC should be immune to the effects of changing the USB cable and I'm certainly not promoting the idea of fancy USB cables.

brucew268
18-08-2014, 11:52
It is not just about ones and zeros. It is also about the frequency, latency, mark to space ratio, and voltage level. Anyone of those can seriously affect the ones and zeros.

It may also be about the noise on the voltage/ground wires affecting the overall circuit, not just the effect on digital information passed. I was surprised to find that different ethernet cables made a difference to the sound of the HiFi even though my music files are connected via USB not ethernet! How could this be?! My only reasonable theory is that the electrical noise was passed along the ethernet cable into the computer, probably onto the ground plane, and from there passed into the DAC. So perhaps some USB cable differences are due to noise passing between the ground plane of the computer and DAC.

some systems just are not capable of revealing these differences I'm afraid

In case someone is tempted to take offense to the above, as though it were a slight on their system... The ability to reveal differences is not just due to the various components in a system, but also due to RFI. I found significant increase in apparent resolution when I put an earthed copper shield between my audio gear and my HiFi (on the same equipment rack). I found further benefits using a device that is said to attract RFI and drain it to earth, and in some attention to cable routing, and in judicious use of RFI absorption sheets, and in turning off the WiFi on the computer, and in the orientation of the WiFi router, etc. My system now reveals differences that it did not before.

NRG
18-08-2014, 11:55
Just to add some clarification: The iFi Gemini does have a 5v and ground line, if it didn't then the end device wouldn't be recognized, its just that the lines run in a separate cable to the data lines. Yes, you can Galvanic Isolate the power line, the little USB 2.0 isolator from the electronics-shop.dk regenerates the 5v line using a simple in built SMPS, I have one and it works well enough cleaning up the supply....and if anybody thinks digital transmission is simply a case of either on or off signals then you would be very wrong, the digital data stream is not immune to analogue effects such as cable LCR and effective shielding along with improper end device termination. However, a fully compliant USB Hi-Speed cable such as the ones from RS *should* not (in theory ;) ) sound any different to any other fully complaint USB cable. It may be that the differences people are hearing is more down to the design of the DAC, its implementation of the USB interface and its ability to reject noise than the cable itself.

YNWaN
18-08-2014, 12:02
....and if anybody thinks digital transmission is simply a case of either on or off signals then you would be very wrong, the digital data stream is not immune to analogue effects such as cable LCR and effective shielding along with improper end device termination.

The 'digital stream' may not be immune to outside interference, but it still boils down to the conveyance of only two types of state, on and off.

AlanS
18-08-2014, 12:33
Alan, no one is saying anything directed at you or anyone who can or can't hear these things, there has been no tone. Folks are reporting what they have heard. In fact the only tone as such has started to come from you and out of the blue.

I am curious in a broader sense to know why some can hear nothing in many areas of the audio world and many can hear improvements and differences. Its an interesting question and placebo and expectation bias doesn't in my view explain things. There should be a technical way to explain in full or in part what folks can hear.

Anyway folks (MOD Hat on) please don't let this discussion go off and become rude and disrespectful. Please keep it friendly and constructive. Thank you in advance.

Regards Neil

I have deleted my posts as for tone and disrespect you lost me but it aint worth the hassle. I don't feel got at or any of the other things mentioned, I too am interested in why experiences are different but you seem to have seized upon tone and respect.

Enjoy the thread

NRG
18-08-2014, 12:34
But Mark no signal can truly transition instantaneously from an 'off' state' to an 'on state' There is signal rise time and settle time to consider.

The 'digital stream' may not be immune to outside interference, but it still boils down to the conveyance of only two types of state, on and off.

YNWaN
18-08-2014, 12:55
But these aren't interpreted as separate elements - what mechanism exists that applies a qualitative element to any differences that may arise/exist? Ultimately, the receiving end can only register the on or off state, it cannot differentiate shades of grey between the two.

Ammonite Audio
18-08-2014, 13:12
In my experience they do make a difference. I have compared Belkin Gold to several dearer audiophile cables from Wireworld and compared those cables to dearer cables from iFi Audio and Locus Designs and there are marked differences and improvements to be had. However at the minute my preference is a HiFace Two and an spdif co ax cable.

Regards Neil

Funnily enough, that's what I've moved to with my office system! The benefit has as much to do with ASIO compatibility as USB cables, though.

As for the OP, wouldn't it be lovely if USB cables did not make a difference, but in my experience they do. That said, they don't need to cost megabucks, as tests on HiFi Critic and HFN have proved.

Mr. C
18-08-2014, 14:22
The standard IT guy response these days its "bit perfect it cannot sound different", not questioning the bit perfect match up at all. The bits maybe perfect but what about the timing sequences between the ones and naughts amongst other variables that affect PCM transfer just as much as they do inside a red book transport or a PC.

Of coarse YMMV.

Try a good quality shielded usb cable first before going down the more expensive route first. Will give you an indication of possibly what may happen.

wee tee cee
18-08-2014, 16:00
I run a 5m usb between dac and lap top. I found trying different usb cables did make noticeable changes. The variety at reasonable cost- belkin etc is worth a try. I moved to a supra and then a furatech both excellent, the latter sounds best in my set up.
Couldn't tell you why, I just trust my ears and chase the sound that suits me.

Spectral Morn
18-08-2014, 18:01
Funnily enough, that's what I've moved to with my office system! The benefit has as much to do with ASIO compatibility as USB cables, though.

As for the OP, wouldn't it be lovely if USB cables did not make a difference, but in my experience they do. That said, they don't need to cost megabucks, as tests on HiFi Critic and HFN have proved.

For me that combination was more three dimensional, more open, had more weight and scale, just more real. The difference was quiet shocking, not subtle at all.

Regards Neil

Gazjam
18-08-2014, 18:11
The standard IT guy response these days its "bit perfect it cannot sound different", not questioning the bit perfect match up at all. The bits maybe perfect but what about the timing sequences between the ones and naughts amongst other variables that affect PCM transfer just as much as they do inside a red book transport or a PC.

Of coarse YMMV.

Try a good quality shielded usb cable first before going down the more expensive route first. Will give you an indication of possibly what may happen.

Shielded USB Tony...
Would the USB shield be connected at one end?

Feeling a bit "Heath Robinson", might get the tinfoil out!

struth
18-08-2014, 20:04
If this helps; The Belkin® Pro Series USB device cable offers error-free data transmission at the rate of 480 Mbps. It features molded strain relief and PVC overmolding that ensure error-free data transmission. Gold plated copper contacts provide maximum conductivity and minimize data loss while the aluminum undermold shield prevents EMI/RFI interference. It supports 127 devices on a daisy-chain configuration and can be used to connect a USB printer, scanner or hard drive to a computer.

Dunno if it works though as I aint tried one.....that I know about.

struth
18-08-2014, 20:08
I got a relative to me expensive usb cable, and tried it against a cheaper silver coloured fairly bog standard one and found no difference to my ears.

ALRAINBOW
18-08-2014, 23:03
Wow great post to start a war with. I am on both sides of the great divide on this. The person who posted the tiny usb connectors as opposed to a actual cable is on to something . But even this does matter but not for the reasons posted here.
Any cpu makes noise or jitter call it what you want. No usb cables even the ones with the 5 volt lifted stop it all. The noise starts at the cpu as it request data from the drive that creates its own noise. And beyond this is the noise of the sw PSU.
And lady RFI noise that is all around us from tv , cell phones , dimmers and anything else in our home or even our neobors .
So what is a usb cable to do. For starters most do not meet the usb standards in imp matching , now maybe it does not matter much . But different dacs do things to help . But not all is equal. A while back I bought two usb converters one is an off ramp5 the other a AP1/PP. THey both helped almost any DAC plenty. But there is more to be had from our tiny little audio devices . Almost no one talks about the cpu weather it's a PC or Mac . The entire cpu we use matters .
As some usb do make a notable change a well done caps makes a huge improvement. Bettering most all music servers as well. For what it's worth a AES cable seem to matter more than a usb to me. .

Al

Spectral Morn
18-08-2014, 23:06
Wow great post to start a war with. I am on both sides of the great divide on this. The person who posted the tiny usb connectors as opposed to a actual cable is on to something . But even this does matter but not for the reasons posted here.
Any cpu makes noise or jitter call it what you want. No usb cables even the ones with the 5 volt lifted stop it all. The noise starts at the cpu as it request data from the drive that creates its own noise. And beyond this is the noise of the sw PSU.
And lady RFI noise that is all around us from tv , cell phones , dimmers and anything else in our home or even our neobors .
So what is a usb cable to do. For starters most do not meet rhe usb standards in imp matching , now maybe it does matter much . But different dacs do things to help . But not all is equal. A while back I bought two usb converters one is an off ramp the other a AP1/PP. THey both helped almost any DAC plenty. But there is more to be had from our tiny little audio devices . Almost no one talks about the cpu weather it's a PC or Mac . The entire cpu we use matters .
As some usb do make a notable change a well done caps makes a huge improvement. Better I g most all music servers as well. For what it's worth a AES cable seem to matter more than a usb to me. .

Al

My hope is that any form of 'war' can be avoided, hence the comment I made earlier with Mod hat on for discussion on this thread to stay respectful and friendly, which they have so far.

Regards Neil

Andrei
19-08-2014, 04:49
In the July 2013 issue of Hi-Fi News there is a bake-off between 10 USB cables. There is blind listening and 'eye charts' that show the spread of the 'rise' in the square wave. Differences abound, so it appears.

Spectral Morn
19-08-2014, 07:29
In the July 2013 issue of Hi-Fi News there is a bake-off between 10 USB cables. There is blind listening and 'eye charts' that show the spread of the 'rise' in the square wave. Differences abound, so it appears.

Yes I saw that, very interesting review but alas the truncated nature of the reviews mean't there was ultimately not enough info. News has its flaws but the mix of subjective and technical means they do try to marry the two but I think Stereophile is better at this though they haven't done any large scale surveys of cables and why they might sound different.

Regards Neil

Andrei
19-08-2014, 07:45
News has its flaws but the mix of subjective and technical means they do try to marry the two but I think Stereophile is better at this though they haven't done any large scale surveys of cables and why they might sound different.
Regards Neil
I like Stereophile too, Paul Miller and John Atkinson certainly know their beans. As an aside I have an SACD made by Stereophile where Antony Michaelson is soloist in Mozart's Clarinet Concerto - and very good it is too!

Spectral Morn
19-08-2014, 09:12
I like Stereophile too, Paul Miller and John Atkinson certainly know their beans. As an aside I have an SACD made by Stereophile where Antony Michaelson is soloist in Mozart's Clarinet Concerto - and very good it is too!

Back in the early 90s News did a massive cables survey and part of that undertaking was to try and find out why cables (analogue if I recall right) do what they do, ultimately it didn't achieve its goal to find away of defining and measuring and correlating what people hear but it did make for very interesting reading and it did - if I recall correctly - go a little ways to offering some technical reasons for why different cables sound the way they do. I have the issues somewhere so I will dig it out and reread it.

Yes I have that one too, very nice.

Stereophile is still the most enjoyable read re HiFi magazines in my opinion.

Regards Neil

walpurgis
19-08-2014, 09:21
We'll never get to the end of cable debates. My take is that cables have no sound, they just have varying influences on the sound of the signal they carry. All are detrimental to one degree or another, the ones regarded as 'sounding good' are those with the least bad effect. That applies to digital cables as well as analogue.

Barry
19-08-2014, 09:42
We'll never get to the end of cable debates. My take is that cables have no sound, they just have varying influences on the sound of the signal they carry. All are detrimental to one degree or another, the ones regarded as 'sounding good' are those with the least bad effect. That applies to digital cables as well as analogue.

I could be dismissive and say your quote was simply a matter of semantics, but I would agree with you if you were to say "cables have no intrinsic sound of their own". I believe these so-called sound differences are due to the way the cable interacts with the two items of equipment between which it connects. In other words, it is dependent on the system.

Your second statement is closer to the truth: "all are detrimental to one degree or another, the ones regarded as 'sounding good' are those with the least bad effect ...". That is Frank's (Effem) viewpoint as well.

Personally I think that digital cables have a greater burden of task placed upon them than do cables carrying analogue signals, and so some should 'sound' better than others. Unfortunately with the little experimentation I have done in trying out different 75 Ohm cables between CD transport and DAC, I could not hear any difference.

walpurgis
19-08-2014, 09:51
I've used a variety of 'digital' cables between CD and DAC. Expensive and cheap, funnily the cheap ones tended to give better results. I've found the differences very audible. I now make my own using a Belden product and they are as good as I've heard.

Stratmangler
19-08-2014, 09:51
Unfortunately with the little experimentation I have done in trying out different 75 Ohm cables between CD transport and DAC, I could not hear any difference.

Possibly the cabling and the interfacing actually match each other in your case Barry.

I've tried a few USB cables to see if I could get audible differences to occur between my laptop and DAC, and I can't hear any difference with the cables I've tried.
Mind you, I never tried any of the ones sold for the benefit of Golden Eared individuals - the last one I bought was a Belkin one and it's 3m long, and cost something like £10.00 from Tesco.
The other thing to consider is that USB was never designed to provide high quality audio streaming interfaces.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that a lot of the foo cables fail a USB2 test ;)

walpurgis
19-08-2014, 09:55
If anybody has a spare short length of Nordost Flatline or Solar Wind interconnect. Try using it between CD and DAC as a digi lead. It works very well.

Spectral Morn
19-08-2014, 10:01
I've used a variety of 'digital' cables between CD and DAC. Expensive and cheap, funnily the cheap ones tended to give better results. I've found the differences very audible. I now make my own using a Belden product and they are as good as I've heard.

My own would be to the contrary, with dearer cables sounding better :scratch:. Tried XLO, PAD, High Fidelity Cables, Deltec, Kimber, Atlas, QED, IXOS and the QED and IXOS were bettered by the others in some cases by quiet a big improvement in sound quality.

Regards Neil

walpurgis
19-08-2014, 10:11
I'm using a modest and ancient thin blue Deltec digital cable at the moment. It must be 25 years old but works rather well. Just Nickel plated plugs, no fancy gold either.

Spectral Morn
19-08-2014, 10:14
I'm using a modest and ancient thin blue Deltec digital cable at the moment. I must be 25 years old but works rather well. Just Nickel plated plugs, no fancy gold either.

Mine is black in colour and is easily that old.

Regards Neil

Bonky
19-08-2014, 20:37
Changing the topic slightly...

...are their differences in sq between various Ethernet cables...?

If so, which ones are recommended?

BW

Bonky

StanleyB
19-08-2014, 21:09
Changing the topic slightly...

...are their differences in sq between various Ethernet cables...?

If so, which ones are recommended?

BW

Bonky
Any chance of starting a new thread instead out of politeness on the OP?

Bonky
19-08-2014, 21:39
Any chance of starting a new thread instead out of politeness on the OP?

Of course Stan.

Apologies to anyone who feels offended.

Bw

Bonky

Gazjam
22-08-2014, 16:55
Back to USB cables....
Differences in them to me can be heard quite easily, but not all comparisons reveal big differences.

I use a Furutech one, a pretty good foo-ish one.
Easily better sounding to my dac than any other Ive tried (a fair few)
Bit of an experiment, going to DIY "shield" it and see if it makes any improvement.
Always worth trying and at least I'll have heard it with my own ears. :)

Bit Heath Robinson but here goes;
Wrapping usb cable in tinfoil, wrapped in electrical tape, heatshrink and cable braiding.
Ground wire connected to tinfoil and (importantly) hooked up to star earth I've fitted for my server.

The idea here being that any RF/EMI given off by the cable (or any that it picks up) should be channeled away from my server/dac connection.

20 minutes of my time, its worth a punt, cos who knows? :)
Did this previously for internal PCIe and Sata cables, actually works.
Will see how I get on.

wee tee cee
14-09-2014, 11:37
I run 5m usb cables from my lap top to my DAC. I have tried various belkin cables and upgraded to a supra. I then upgraded with furatech f2. Each cable made a sonic improvement. Recently Brian of this parish built me a 5m usb using shielded copper cabling. It is another step up sonically-lowered noise floor/increased detail.
I have had a few strange moments were albums I know well -John Martyn grace and danger was producing sounds I hadnt heard before.
I have had a good listen on the cans and can confirm this cable has made a noticeable sonic improvement.
No night and day pish....just a very good bang for buck improvement.

brucew268
14-09-2014, 13:22
Gary, how did your Heath Robinson venture fare... with the foil-to-earth shield?