PDA

View Full Version : Geisha Interconnect

Andrei
16-08-2014, 23:37
Recipe for a 1 meter interconnect:

This makes for a high quality interconnect. The ideas about this are:
1. It is very good quality.
2. It is very easy to make. It does not require soldering. It requires only one tool. If you make a mistake it will not cost anything more than a little time to redo it.
3. Relatively cheap (main cost is about £70.00 for a set of 4 plugs)
4. You can make a custom length.

Below is a step by step explanation

Components:
Four meters of 24AWG silver wire.
Four meters of teflon tubing.
Four Furutech FT111-G RCA plugs.

The Teflon tubing can have an internal diameter of about 2mm, I don't think you need to be too fussy.
The "24AWG" means size 24 of the American Wire Gauge Scale, or a diameter of .51mm.
You HAVE to ensure that you buy audiophile grade silver wire. Do not ask your jeweller for high grade silver wire. Do not buy silver wire on ebay, especially if the source is Hong Kong or Shenzen. You want 'soft temper' or highly annealed silver wire. In terms of purity three 'nines' or four 'nines' is plenty good enough. I can't stress this enough. The reason this is such a good interconnect is blindingly simple: Good quality wire, and good quality plugs.
I bought my wire from http://www.tempoelectric.com/cables.htm#interconnects

Be careful about buying other plugs.
Problem 1. They might be 'solderless' but require a crimping tool or may only be suitable for cables where the return wire is the shield.
Problem 2. They may not be copper or silver on the connection parts. If you do use other plugs make sure the connection for the pin and signal are pure silver or (plated) copper. You wouldn't buy brass wire for your cable so you should not settle for brass center pins.
Other possible RCA plugs are Furutech FT-111R - this is the Rhodium plated copper, rather than Gold plated copper. Also Furutech CF-102R, but these are very expensive.

Equipment:
Wire cutters (scissors will do)
One small hex key. If you do not have a set of hex keys, a set can be bought from a hardware store for cheaps.
Optional is the use of an alligator clip to hold the plugs while you insert the wire.

Method:
Have a play with the RCAs to get a feel of how they work and are put together. You will see they are in three parts.
Cut the wire into four 1 meter lengths.
Cut the teflon into four 1 meter lengths.
Set them out into two pairs, one for the left channel and one for the right.
For one channel you have two wires and two teflon tubes.
The connection will be (a) from center pin to center pin [called the signal], and (b) from return to return [called the return].
If you are a klutz like me you may want to mark one of the wires at both ends with a marking pen to ensure you do not connect a signal to a return.
Cut 1 cm off the return wire (it will now be a little shorter)
Place the two wires into the teflon tubing.
Now trim the teflon tubing (without cutting the wires) so that 6mm or so of wire extends out of each end.
Now you are going to screw the two wires in place.
You are going to screw both the signal and return wires on one RCA plug before you attend to the other end.
It is here you must be delicate. In order to have the best connection you want the screw to screw down over the wire in the centre. Make your connection and do it gently. It will take a little trial and error. When you are done look down the barrel to see that you have done it correctly. If not bang on, have another go. When you are sure the set screw is over the middle of the wire, tighten it. How tight? I am not sure but I would say don't crush the wire but make a very firm grip.
Then you screw in the return wire.
Now you are going to do the other end. But before you do so, make sure you have (a) put the back parts [see the two leftmost parts on the first pic below] on the first RCA, ie finished the job; and (b) have the back parts in place of the second RCA. That is to say you have the two wires threaded through the back parts of the second RCA. The procedure for screwing down is the same. You will notice that the distance required for the return wire is a little less: hence that it why you shortened it.
Don't do what I did and put the back parts facing the wrong way. But as mentioned at the beginning, that sort of stuff-up is easily undone.
When you have screwed the second RCA plug, you then finish the assembly by screwing it together. It will only work one way so you can't stuff that up. Then I suggest twisting the wires gently - say one twist every 10 cm.

Result:
I have Oyaide AZ-910 http://www.joynetmall.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=74_79_300&product_id=4271 You can see from the link that it costs over $800 for a one meter pair. This cable is better than that. I put this down to the plugs, but maybe the absence of shielding has something to do with it. My AZ-910 cables are just sitting round looking pretty at the moment. In my system this homebrew has sharpened the soundstage. They run between my DAC and Amplifier. I have ordered two more sets of Furutech FT111 and will run them from the phonostage to the Amp and from the disc-spinner to the Amp.

Notes:
(1) They way I have put this together there is no allowance for strain relief. The build of the FT111 does allow for that and you can work that into your design if you wish. The only precaution you need to take, and it is common sense really, is not to pull them out of your equipment by the wires.
(2) As mentioned this is an unshielded interconnect. If you have a noisy environment you may have to have a shielded interconnect, and this would not be the one for you. I've never had any problem with unshielded interconnects. I used to run Nordost Red Dawn flatline interconnects and never had an issue. The shorter the cable the less likely it is that shielding is necessary.
(3) I guess a slightly smaller or larger gauge of wire should also work.
(4) If you want to you can dress these with some heatshrink and braid. I like products to look good but I can't be bothered with cables that are out of sight.

Pictures:

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y530/Andrei_nz/Furutech03_zpsa7f41d03.jpg (http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/Andrei_nz/media/Furutech03_zpsa7f41d03.jpg.html)

This is the Furutech FT111G unscrewed.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y530/Andrei_nz/Furutech01_zps7b05001d.jpg (http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/Andrei_nz/media/Furutech01_zps7b05001d.jpg.html)

This is my finished product.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y530/Andrei_nz/Furutech02_zpsfba89a2a.jpg (http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/Andrei_nz/media/Furutech02_zpsfba89a2a.jpg.html)

A closeup of the finished RCA.

Barry
17-08-2014, 01:04
Nice post: well written, excellent photos, and more than sufficient information. Thanks Andrei.

(One question though - why do you call them "Geisha Interconnects" ?)

Andrei
17-08-2014, 01:36
Nice post: well written, excellent photos, and more than sufficient information. Thanks Andrei.

(One question though - why do you call them "Geisha Interconnects" ?)

No really valid reason Barry - TBH they don't need a name. I was going to call them Super 'Lectric Ultra Transmission-lines, or SLUT for short, but Geisha sounds a bit classier.

Audio Al
17-08-2014, 07:32
I was going to call them Super 'Lectric Ultra Transmission-lines, or SLUT for short

:lol:....:rfl:....:lol:

Nice name ;)

Andrei
17-08-2014, 08:52
The SLUT interconnect has great synergy with my Precision Irridium Metallurgical Power-lines speaker cable.

Barry
17-08-2014, 08:54
.... I was going to call them Super 'Lectric Ultra Transmission-lines, or SLUT for short, but Geisha sounds a bit classier.

Well I’m glad you didn’t call your cables SLUT.

Slut or slattern is a term applied to an individual (usually female) who is considered to have loose sexual morals or who is sexually promiscuous. The term is generally pejorative and most often used as an insult, sexual slur or offensive term of disparagement, meaning "dirty or slovenly".

Geisha on the other hand are entertainers: the word means ‘artist’ in Japanese. It is a common misconception that Geisha are up-market prostitutes. They are not.

Since the purpose of a sound system is to entertain, your choice of name is appropriate and much more classy.

YNWaN
17-08-2014, 10:24
HiFi Collective sell Teflon insulated silver cable;

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/wire.html

Top left of page.

The 0.5mm stuff is £8 a metre with insulation. I've used it and the Teflon insulation is quite loose. They also do the Mundorf 99% silver 1% gold stuff for £16 a metre.

I don't know the particular Furutech RCAs mentioned but I rate the KLE Harmony plugs and they are actually less expensive - you do have to solder them though (which I would rather do anyway).

Andrei
17-08-2014, 11:18

Top left of page.
The 0.5mm stuff is £8 a metre with insulation. I've used it and the Teflon insulation is quite loose. They also do the Mundorf 99% silver 1% gold stuff for £16 a metre.
I don't know the particular Furutech RCAs mentioned but I rate the KLE Harmony plugs and they are actually less expensive - you do have to solder them though (which I would rather do anyway).
Nice link thanks.
Of course soldering is ok too. There must be 10,000 forum debates on the merits of solder vs direct connection. I come down on the direct connection side as that is what has worked for me, and more to the point is this: for a quality interconnect you need (1) quality wire, (2) quality RCA plugs, (3) It must be put together well. If you can do that with soldering skills; well and good, but if the the likes of no less than Furutech offer quality plugs that require no soldering: - then: yep go for it.

YNWaN
17-08-2014, 12:15
Yeah, I don't have a firm stance one way or the other on the 'solder/not solder' debate - but a poor solder joint is definitely a bad thing.

walpurgis
17-08-2014, 12:23
Yeah, I don't have a firm stance one way or the other on the 'solder/not solder' debate - but a poor solder joint is definitely a bad thing.

I agree. A thing to bear in mind with a 'mechanical' non soldered joint is the conductive cross section at the joint. If it is too small, it may have higher than desired resistance. It would be interesting to measure and compare joint types. Something I've never done.

Barry
17-08-2014, 19:04
This (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?9776-Soldered-and-crimped-connections-the-pros-and-cons) might be of interest.

YNWaN
17-08-2014, 19:10
Well that's a comparison of solder joints versus crimped connections and a crimped connection is a very different thing to holding the cable with a set screw.

Barry
17-08-2014, 19:16
Well that's a comparison of solder joints versus crimped connections and a crimped connection is a very different thing to holding the cable with a set screw.

I only said it might be of interest. A mechanical set-screw connection will not have the long term integrity of either a crimped or a soldered joint: all screw connections loosen with time, but at least in the case of screw connected RCAs, the connections are easy to inspect and tighten.

YNWaN
17-08-2014, 20:37
I agree.

Andrei
17-08-2014, 20:43

There are interesting goodies there. I see they have neotech for example - that should be good. I see one entry there: Amtrans make a gold plated copper wire. That is not a combination I have heard of before - very interesting to find out what sonic signature that would have.

YNWaN
17-08-2014, 22:00
I used the Neotech copper solid core to wire my super-tweeters to the speakers. It works very well but I didn't really have anything to compare it against.

Andrei
24-08-2014, 03:06
As mentioned in my main write-up I had ordered two more sets of Furutech FT111-G RCA plugs.
They have arrived and first up I noticed something interesting. They come with a correctly sized hex key, as can be seen in the photo below.
(I don't know if I just missed this on my first set of this is a later addition, but either way what was already easy just became slightly easier still.)
So in fact you do not have to buy any tools at all. I would nevertheless still recommend something to hold down the main part of the plug while threading the wire under the screws
As of now I have built one more set and it runs from my phono-stage to my integrated amplifier. This time the length is 1.5 meters.

Listening
The cable it replaced was a Wyred4Sound 1.8 meter interconnect (that came with my DAC). Once again the homebrew was appreciably better than a name-brand interconnect.
At first I thought it was not better, but - and I always forget this - my valve phono stage needs 20-30 mins to sound its best. So by the time I got to side two of Katie Melua's House, the difference was audible.
The richness of a guitar is in the overtones. Of course you can't hear them all in a hi-fi, but I was hearing more. I am still shaking my head in disbelief at the amount of information on a vinyl record.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y530/Andrei_nz/Furutech_zps3392672f.jpg (http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/Andrei_nz/media/Furutech_zps3392672f.jpg.html)

337alant
24-08-2014, 08:47
Andre,
Have you considered 2 cores for signal and ground in a star quad configuration with an overall screen or drain wire ?

Alan

Andrei
24-08-2014, 10:53
Alan,
I have not tried exactly that, but I have tried a few 'geometries'. My initial idea was to use the same amount and gauge of wire as top Nordost products, and hopefully getting better results by using silver wire instead of their silver plated copper. Another variation was to use cotton as a dielectric. The results were OK but I was hoping for more. In the end I have concluded that less is more, and I am very happy with what I have got. My only theory (possibly oddball) is that the return wire is at least as important as the signal.

I would not bother with a drain wire. Joseph Levy at http://www.laventure.net/tourist/cables.htm says

"Sometimes there's a third "drain" wire, which is connected to the negative line at one end. The idea is that this wire, which is braided with or wrapped around the other two, acts as a shield and drains away any stray magnetism caused by the interaction of the principal conductors. However, its coverage is so skimpy, that it's always struck me as useless."

I have not gone for shielding as I am sure I do not need it. My understanding is that it could be necessary if your interconnects are in a noisy environment or if you have long interconnects. Professionals go the whole way and use balanced interconnects, as their cables often have to be long and they work in changing and challenging environments. All I do is ensure that my interconnects do not come physically close to power cables behind my rack.