PDA

View Full Version : Beresford Caiman

StanleyB
22-07-2009, 21:15
Now in stock :). Any AoS member wishing to view more details, please PM me and I shall PM you the link back. Please note the link only works when you click on it from within your PM inbox on AoS.

In order to clarify one detail that a few people have asked me to:
Delivery of the Caiman is included in the price to AoS members who are reachable by plane, train, automobile, or boat, on the understanding that there is a postal service of sorts to the destination. So that includes all 7 continents, and islands with a postal service. I don't deliver to the ISS.

Hopefully I can post some pics later one.

Stan

StanleyB
03-08-2009, 08:51
Now also available on my homehifi website (only!).

Buyers outside of Europe should email me for the tax free export version price.

Stan

chrism
04-08-2009, 17:10
Hi Stan,

Tried to access the homehifi site but it within a second my browser defaults to the beresford/me site. If I am quick I do get a glimpse of the Caiman though - just enough to torment me!

Regards

Chris

StanleyB
04-08-2009, 17:13
Hi Stan,

Tried to access the homehifi site but it within a second my browser defaults to the beresford/me site. If I am quick I do get a glimpse of the Caiman though - just enough to torment me!

Regards

Chris
I'll PM you the AoS gateway to the site. Just remember that you can only enter via AoS when using the gateway:eyebrows:.

chrism
04-08-2009, 17:15
Ta Stan,

I'll have a look then and see what I am missing.

Regards

Chris

Labarum
14-08-2009, 15:02
Yes, I see the Caiman is now on general release. I guess that means it's limited launch was a success, and anyone can now buy one. That's good news, and should give the "big boys" a run for their money.

I wonder how long before the 7510 falls off the stock list.

Covenant
14-08-2009, 16:30
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but Stan said the Caiman was outside his comfort zone cost wise and therefore numbers would be very limited. It was intended for people who did not want to carry out or get the modifications done.

Labarum
14-08-2009, 16:46
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but Stan said the Caiman was outside his comfort zone cost wise and therefore numbers would be very limited. It was intended for people who did not want to carry out or get the modifications done.

He did. Plans change.

www.homehifi.co.uk

Alex_UK
14-08-2009, 20:27
I think it is still limited though, Brian, despite now being on the (UK only) website - see these posts by Stan, though I could have got it wrong:

Last Caimans? (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=57772&postcount=119)

Caiman not a "production" model (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=58145&postcount=157)

Sure Stan will be along to dispel either myth...

StanleyB
14-08-2009, 21:14
I put the remainder of the AoS stock on my UK site since I had no more inquiries from AoS members and I couldn't just hang on to the stock for ages. I have about 22 pieces left, plus about 50 extra chips.

Except for AoS members, there has been little uptake of the Caiman. Sales are extremely slow. I sell one Caiman for every 5 or more TC-7520. I reckon that the price is very similar to the DacMagic, and many potential buyers probably prefer taking a chance on the DM due to the rave magazine reviews. It's mainly the serious listeners with decent to seriously decent computers, amp, headphones and speakers that seem to opt for the Caiman. At this price range there are a lot of music listeners with little funds who don't have the necessary bits that would demonstrate the Caiman's superiority over other potential competing products. So I reckon they play it safe and follow the magazines recommendations.

As for the TC-7510: the increased strength of the £ has made it almost similar in price to the V-DAC in some countries. And some magazines has been giving it good reviews. So the TC-7510 hardly sells these days. I remember selling one last week from my site, but I haven't managed to sell any on eBay since the beginning of July. So perhaps I should follow Brian's advice and pull the plug on it.

That leaves just the TC-7520 as my main product.

The Vinyl Adventure
14-08-2009, 22:16
Just my 2c on the subject, for whatever it's worth... I think computer audio, now it has got to the stage that it can be as good as or even better than cd, is only going to get more popular and probably quite quickly! I can see cd players quite drastically loosing popularity quite soon... I heard a rumor that naim are going to stop making them in aprox 5 years! But that might be crap so don't quote me!
Anyway needless to say I recon you got into the comp audio market place at the right time stan

Labarum
14-08-2009, 22:22
mmm

Not too long ago 7510s were doing quite well second hand on eBay. Are they still?

I certainly have in the back of my mind the idea of selling my 7510 and buying a second Caiman. Too busy buying furniture and a flat to put it in at the moment.

7510 (all Standacs) should score over the competition on their ability to replace a pre-amp. Perhaps that could be laboured more is the sales pitch.

Labarum
14-08-2009, 22:45
That leaves just the TC-7520 as my main product.

Develop the pre-amp angle. Remote volume and source switching. An analogue line in or two?

What does the AVI electronics do? Fewer inputs, but I believe it remembers the last volume setting for each input.

Licence the Squeezebox streaming chip firmware from Logitech and put in the Standac. All of the software is in the public domain.

Total control can be effected from any box that will run a browser, from PDAs and most smartphones. No need for a display on the Standac.

That could be a killer in the long term.

Market a power amp. Simple no nonsense case to match Standac.

Or make an integrated amp with the Standac instead of a preamp section.

And that's more than two penneth. I had better shut up.

brainz2000
14-08-2009, 22:49
Remote Volume is the killer feature for me! I'd be reaching for the credit card, especially if it was a decent passive!

Just my 2p worth!

Tim

Alex_UK
14-08-2009, 22:52
Remote Volume is the killer feature for me! I'd be reaching for the credit card, especially if it was a decent passive!

Me too, I'm a lazy B%$£&*+...

Also, I'm superficial - stick it in a full-width case with a 12mm machined front panel and that's another hundred quid at least to Mr Barclaycard!

Gints
14-08-2009, 22:53
I can see cd players quite drastically loosing popularity quite soon...

That will happens if manufacturer continue to be so conservative making them without additional digital inputs. Only expensive ones have them. Ordinary computers are too noisy for music in late night and that is a time for cd player. And if I need a special hardware for music why not a cd player? There is still so many discs around, and not so many 24/96 tracks which to download.

Gints
14-08-2009, 23:00
Except for AoS members, there has been little uptake of the Caiman. Sales are extremely slow. I sell one Caiman for every 5 or more TC-7520. I reckon that the price is very similar to the DacMagic, and many potential buyers probably prefer taking a chance on the DM due to the rave magazine reviews.

I think many of potential buyers know nothing about Caiman. Homehifi page is not accessible for normal people (me as well) , it automatically redirects to beresford.me where is NOTHING about Caiman's existence.

Alex_UK
14-08-2009, 23:16
I think many of potential buyers know nothing about Caiman. Homehifi page is not accessible for normal people (like me), it automatically redirects to beresford.me where is NOTHING about Caiman's existence.

That's a good point there Gints - Stan, you might want to look into that (assume it does some clever stuff from the user's IP address?) but when we were talking a couple of weeks ago, the only way I could see the "current" site was to clear all my cookies/temp files, and that only gave me a "one shot deal" before I couldn't see the Caiman details again. That could explain it, because to me £40 to get all those improvements was a "no brainer"

Labarum
15-08-2009, 06:17
And if I need a special hardware for music why not a cd player?

Better to use a streaming device. I use a Squeezebox, but there are others.

The DAC should be in the budget integrated amp, or in a quality pre-amp; but since stripping out the phono (cartridge) section from the HiFi, manufacturers have stalled.

StanleyB
15-08-2009, 10:00
What's wrong with using the volume control on your amp:scratch:?

A motorized passive volume control costs quite a bit to buy. By the time you add it to a product, the cost would have gone up at least 3 times. That excludes any product size changes, including amended packaging etc. So the total bill for a passive volume control would easily surpass £100 at the sales counter. I am a small fish in a big pond, and my sales turnover is a mere fraction of say other UK DAC brand names. Plus theirs cost less to make in China. In order to stay competitive I can't afford to go and load my DAC with features that would double the price! Magazine reviewers concentrate on how products sound, and that is the prime focus of attention by their readership when it comes to parting with cash. I have a Ditton DAC/preamp with all possible inputs etc. But how many people bought one?

Just imagine that the real Caiman price should be between £250 to £300, if I use the same cost calculations as on the TC-7510 and TC-7520.

Labarum
15-08-2009, 10:30
What's wrong with using the volume control on your amp:scratch:?

I dont have a volume control on my amp - I only have a power amp. (If I put a Quad 77 Pre amp back in circuit the quality degrades!) That is the attraction of any Standac - they are the only products in the price bracket that have volume controls and can be used as control or pre-amps.

But I take on board all you say about costs and practicalities.

I would happy to pay £300 - 350 for a fully featured DAC Pre-amp. The nearest competition would still cost three times as much.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/system1/digital-analog-converter/dac1-pre

But, you have to sell into the market you can work; and there might not be enough folk like me to make it a goer.

Adrian B
15-08-2009, 11:56
I have no problem getting to Homehifi using Mozilla Firefox. I expect to order a Caiman as soon as my WAD headphone amp sells on ebay!

Adrian

StanleyB
16-08-2009, 09:37
The Caiman is now sold out and has been removed from my site until further notice. Thanks for the excellent response.

Best email me if you wish to be put on the list when any more become available.

Stan

The Vinyl Adventure
16-08-2009, 11:59
I have said this before, if you need a remote foe your standac get a suitably long stick and put some blutack on the end!

SteveW
16-08-2009, 16:58
The Caiman is now sold out and has been removed from my site until further notice. Thanks for the excellent response.

Best email me if you wish to be put on the list when any more become available.

Stan

Wow...I must have pulled the trigger on almost the last one. Well done Stan...was about to post another rave review about it..:)

Labarum
16-08-2009, 17:09
The Caiman (or any Standac) drives a refurbished Quad 405 brilliantly.

The 405 has the resolution to show the differences between them.

There are two going here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Excellent-Quad-405-Modern-Split-power-supply-protection_W0QQitemZ330352494792QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?ha sh=item4cea8b08c8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

120w per channel of sophisticated grunt - they will last another 20 years.

Mine was refurbished by 405man, the eBay vendor of the two linked above.

dgdgdgdgdg
17-08-2009, 16:33
Hi there

Please include me on list for next run - if there is going to be one.

Damian

Alex_UK
18-08-2009, 11:47
"dg to the power 5" - See here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=59350&postcount=41) for confirmation of another Caiman run - good for you, but not the ebay value of my "legendary first production run" Caiman! (Not that I'd ever sell the little beauty!)

Labarum
18-08-2009, 11:52
"dg to the power 5" - See here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=59350&postcount=41) for confirmation of another Caiman run - good for you, but not the ebay value of my "legendary first production run" Caiman! (Not that I'd ever sell the little beauty!)

Do they have serial numbers? Would anyone know which batch a Caiman came from? And would it matter?

Alex_UK
18-08-2009, 12:00
Do they have serial numbers? Would anyone know which batch a Caiman came from? And would it matter?

Just teasing really, I said before I think these boxes will be "legendary" in hi-fi folklore, maybe thats over egging it somewhat, but who knows? The more that are built, the less the rarity value, but meant very tongue in cheek!

I can't see any serial numbers - Stan can no doubt enlighten us, and also if production run 2 would be physically distinguishabe from the first batch.

BTW, as I'm here, my Caiman has now been on for 2 weeks, and is just getting better and better, though that could also be cables and amp burning in as I was too impatient to introduce the changes slowly... but headphones definitely improved - was a bit harsh when I first tried but 3 hours listening last night with no fatigue at all. The new Florence & The Machine album sounded awesome through cans.

Labarum
18-08-2009, 12:47
I have just ordered a pair of SONY MDR-F1 headphones cos Stan rates them.

Bought from an international eBay seller. Just thought afterwards HM Customs might intercept said parcel - it would still be a good price with VAT, but the admin could be a pain.

Has anyone experience of such purchases?

Need good headphones when I move to me flat.

StanleyB
18-08-2009, 12:54
I have offered various members on AoS the option of ordering a Caiman ahead of them going back on my site. Only one has responded, so I shall now cross out the remaining members from my list.

Anyone else still interested, PM me with your Paypal address and the country where the order is going to.

Earliest delivery date is tomorrow.

Stan

Peter H
18-08-2009, 14:12
Interesting stuff to read. I was at a meeting of Mac aficionados last evening and talking about itunes I mentioned my new DAC. Nobody else knew what I was talking about.
None of us are 'sound enthusiasts' as such but I guess that after my telling those there that music from my Mac played through a DAC meant I have thrown away my expensive CD player & CDs. This improved when used with the SW Audio Hijack Pro. I still cannot believe the quality of sound I get from my rig since playing itunes via a DAC, a cheap valve amp. and some old speakers.
My point being that the vast majority of the music loving public still go to Currys, buy any old crap and sit back and assume that's the best that exists for the purpose.

Labarum
18-08-2009, 14:17
. . . still go to Currys, buy any old crap and sit back and assume that's the best that exists for the purpose.

Twas ever thus. Whe I was a lad (sigh) the argument was that £100 spent on HiFi separates - Turntable - Amp - Speakers would beat any high street consumer product.

DaveK
18-08-2009, 14:41
I have just ordered a pair of SONY MDR-F1 headphones cos Stan rates them.

Bought from an international eBay seller. Just thought afterwards HM Customs might intercept said parcel - it would still be a good price with VAT, but the admin could be a pain.

Has anyone experience of such purchases?

Hi Brian,
I bought a pair of top end Sony headphones off eBay from the Far East. They came through customs quite quckly with no duty imposed. That's the good news.
The bad news is that, although the phones appeared to be very well made, the box that they came in looked to be a lower quality than I would expect from Sony and, more to the point, I was not very happy with the sound which emmanated from them and I suspect they were fakes/pirates. It was like listening to the music through a fog, all blurred if you know what I mean, particularly the bass.
I put them back on eBay, with an honest description, and nearly got my full money back. More to the point the buyer left me good feedback and never complained, so maybe he got a better sound out of them than I did. I replaced them with a pair of Senn HD280 phones, from Richer's, which Stan also rates highly, and so do I for what that's worth.
Cheers,

StanleyB
18-08-2009, 14:49
Buying Japanese goods from a Chinese seller is not a good idea. I bought my SONY headphones from an English seller in Japan:).
As a mater of fact, I regularly sell my DACs to Brits living in Japan.

Labarum
18-08-2009, 15:40
Hi Brian,
I bought a pair of top end Sony headphones off eBay from the Far East.

I am buying from USA.

http://myworld.ebay.com/joynetcafe/

Labarum
18-08-2009, 15:53
I have offered various members on AoS the option of ordering a Caiman ahead of them going back on my site. . . .

Flogging a 7510 and trading up would be a good deal.

A 7510 has just gone on eBay for just over £80 - I have seen them go for much more, but it is August.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130324622106&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

There were 7 bidders, if you are tempted to trade up.

And another one coming up

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/beresford-dac_W0QQitemZ290340603430QQcategoryZ3272QQcmdZView ItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m215QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26i ts%3DI%252BC%252BS%252BIA%26itu%3DUS-BWR%252BUCI%252BUCC%252BIT%252BUA%26otn%3D12%26ps% 3D33

see what that goes for.

Alex_UK
18-08-2009, 15:58
That's madness IMHO, only £18 more for a brand new one direct from Stan (ok, maybe postage would be higher) - but I guess £18 is half decent coax cable, but I'd prefer the security of knowing it was brand new and hadn't been abused etc...

Labarum
18-08-2009, 16:02
I'd prefer the security of knowing it was brand new and hadn't been abused etc...

But I was suggesting that those who own a 7510 might sell it and not much loss and buy a Caiman.

Alex_UK
18-08-2009, 16:04
Yes, sorry Brian, I was drifting there, looking at it from the reverse angle - certainly a seller's market it would appear!

Labarum
18-08-2009, 16:09
Yes, sorry Brian, I was drifting there, looking at it from the reverse angle - certainly a seller's market it would appear!

But do note 7510 is £99 + VAT

Still, you can still sell and trade up without loosing much. It's a lottery of course.

Alex_UK
18-08-2009, 16:11
But do note 7510 is £99 + VAT

I didn't :doh: I'll get me coat!;)

SteveW
18-08-2009, 17:19
I have offered various members on AoS the option of ordering a Caiman ahead of them going back on my site. Only one has responded, so I shall now cross out the remaining members from my list.

Anyone else still interested, PM me with your Paypal address and the country where the order is going to.

Earliest delivery date is tomorrow.

Stan

Its me isn't it?
Stan...does this mean that you still have Caiman's for sale?

Ali Tait
18-08-2009, 17:48
Or perhaps me? :confused:

Labarum
18-08-2009, 18:00
Perhaps his second batch arrived early and unexpectedly?

StanleyB
23-08-2009, 11:20
I often get asked how big the Caiman is. So here is a picture of a set of AKG on top of a Caiman for comparison.

Stan

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/images/caiman/akg1-400.jpg

DaveK
23-08-2009, 12:52
I often get asked how big the Caiman is. So here is a picture of a set of AKG on top of a Caiman for comparison.

Stan

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/images/caiman/akg1-400.jpg

Hi Stan,
I'm tempted to ask how big a set of AKG are, but I won't :lolsign: .
Cheers,

Gazjam
23-08-2009, 13:46
compare it to your Caiman Dave :)

DaveK
23-08-2009, 14:49
compare it to your Caiman Dave :)

Sorry Gaz, I thought I was trying to be funny - obviously I failed :scratch: .

Cheers,

Gazjam
23-08-2009, 18:16
and I thought I was being funny too...

Hence the smiley.

OK, lets agree neither of us are funny. :)

StanleyB
26-08-2009, 10:44
I have had emails from people wishing to read up on the Caiman, but who can't access it on my site. Some do manage to get a foleeting glimpse of it, before being redirected.

It is possible to view the Caiman page if you click on the following link:

AoS Caiman Exclusive Link (http://www.beresford.me/products/Caiman.html)

It won't work if you try it outside of AoS. You HAVE to access it from the AoS forum, or you'll automatically get redirected to the main page:ner:.

Stan

Mike
26-08-2009, 16:27
Tempting, very tempting...

Shall I?... shan't I? :scratch:

DSJR
26-08-2009, 17:24
I wish I could afford one. Now I have a decent laptop in the sitting-room and once my CD player bites the dust, I could use a sensible CD player as a mech and the laptop USB to the Caiman (?) - Hmmmmmm..........

Beechwoods
26-08-2009, 18:00
Excellent pictures Stan. I'm also extremely tempted, but lacking in funds right now. Hopefully it'll stick around long enough for me to get my act together!

Alex_UK
26-08-2009, 22:04
I have had emails from people wishing to read up on the Caiman, but who can't access it on my site. Some do manage to get a foleeting glimpse of it, before being redirected.

It is possible to view the Caiman page if you click on the following link:

AoS Caiman Exclusive Link (http://www.beresford.me/products/Caiman.html)

It won't work if you try it outside of AoS. You HAVE to access it from the AoS forum, or you'll automatically get redirected to the main page:ner:.

Stan

Stan, I said in another thread something "weird" was happening, I think bssed on IP tracking, that I couldn't see the Caiman details when we first talked - but this link from within AoS works fine.

symon
27-08-2009, 11:56
I'm sure I've already said this somewhere, but my next hi-fi purchase, when funds are available, will be a Caiman DAC if it is available. If not, I'll wait until it is.

I don't plan to buy much new hi-fi equipment (I'd rather buy a guitar) but this is certainly one of the notable exceptions. In fact, I passed up the chance to buy a grubby Cmabridge Audio DAC (Black Box 3 or something like that) for £45 because I know I want a Caiman DAC.

StanleyB
27-08-2009, 13:05
I know I want a Caiman DAC.
I have written your name on the box of one. So you can now relax;).

Stan

symon
27-08-2009, 14:53
Thanks Stan. Now all I need is for my work to decide what my pay is for the next year and if they are going to give me any 'bonus' money! If I'm lucky, they'll sort it out before Christmas (but I'm not holding my breathe).

Cool, Stan. Thanks for that.

StanleyB
10-09-2009, 06:48
Now back in stock.

Stan

twelvebears
10-09-2009, 07:32
Hi Stan,
I'm tempted to ask how big a set of AKG are, but I won't :lolsign: .
Cheers,

Don't worry Dave, I thought it was funny. :)

StanleyB
07-10-2009, 16:36
The Caiman DAC with the Caiman power supply is now in stock at:
http://www.homehifi.co.uk/main/main.html

I am still busy doing the write up for the various pages, and also expanding the option to select the cheaper TC-7520 power supply instead of the Caiman power supply. However, those who are after the Caiman with the Caiman power supply can have a bit of a head start in the order list:).

StanleyB
08-10-2009, 15:00
As per request from many non-European AoS members, I have added the Caiman on the sales page at http://www.beresford.me/main/main.html.
Please note that the Caiman is of limited quantity and I have set aside just a few for non-European buyers. So if you don't see it on offer on the above site in a few days as of today, then they are all sold by then.

Phil Bishop
10-10-2009, 10:16
Thanks Stan, as you know I have got in quick and ordered one. Looking forward to giving it a whirl!

....also thanks to your recommendation I have the AKG701's as well as the Senn HD650's. I have to say the AKG's have taken an age to break in, but now sound just marvellous!

Phil

StanleyB
10-10-2009, 10:31
Hi Phil,

your DAC is already in transit so you should have it on Monday with a bit of luck:).

Labarum
10-10-2009, 11:04
How about a hint, Stan, on when the Caiman Power Supply will be available to early Caiman owners?

I have to watch carefully as I will be moving yet again soon and it will be a while before I have a reliable internet connection in Nicosia.

StanleyB
10-10-2009, 11:50
How about a hint, Stan, on when the Caiman Power Supply will be available to early Caiman owners?
I announced that earlier this week. I had one hundred pieces, which I shared equally between the fifty new Caimans ( at an increased cost), and the first fifty Caiman owners to take me up on the offer of the Caiman PSU at cost plus P&P. Send me an email Brian and if anyone who was sent an invoice doesn't respond within 48 hours, I'll let you have the first refusal on it. The Caiman PSU won't be available for sale on-line till the end of November at an estimated cost of £25 to £30 delivered. They are the seven seas and have yet to outmaneuver the Somali pirates:).

Labarum
10-10-2009, 13:19
O, I hadn't appreciated there was a firm offer on the table, only a future hope.

Email to be sent next.

Phil Bishop
10-10-2009, 17:54
Cheers Stan, excellent service as always! Phil.

Jason P
12-10-2009, 11:15
Mine's on it's way! Woohoo!

:mex:

Jason

StanleyB
13-11-2009, 11:01
I would just like to remind those in the UK and the rest of Europe who are considering getting a Caiman before the end of the month that I am down to the last 12 pieces. The next batch won't get released until 10 days after the Caiman power supply production run has taken place in the last week of November. So it could be the first week of December before the next Caiman batch is listed on my sites.

Jonboy
13-11-2009, 14:21
Mine's on it's way! Woohoo!

:mex:

Jason

So is mine now, i'll be in the dog house again

Jonboy
14-11-2009, 14:37
Its here and i'm running it in with Alabama 3 on repeat at the moment, thanks Stan, less than 24hrs from when i placed the order and the postie was knocking on my door.
:gig:

Themis
14-11-2009, 17:10
Hey ! Congrats Jon, I hope you'll like it ! :)

steveinspain
14-11-2009, 18:34
Mine is at about the 100 hour mark now, and certainly has opened up amazingly, so bear with it - at first it sounded pretty good, but now is a whole lot better !
It was said that each input needed the same amount of burn in - not sure if this is right, as I can only connect via the usb port at present - bummer if it is so..

StanleyB
14-11-2009, 19:09
It was said that each input needed the same amount of burn in - not sure if this is right, as I can only connect via the usb port at present -
Wrong info. It is each output that needs the same amount of burn in. But if you only use one set of outputs, then there is no need to worry about it:).

Alex_UK
14-11-2009, 21:34
Wrong info. It is each output that needs the same amount of burn in. But if you only use one set of outputs, then there is no need to worry about it:).

How can that be, if there's no way of switching between fixed/variable? Surely they are both "live" all the time? :confused: Not arguing - a genuine question - I'm a simpleton with electronics, and don't understand how it all works!

CentraL
17-03-2011, 13:05
Hi everyone!

First post here, but long enough in the HiFi tooth…

I became interested in the Caiman since a local forum member brought Beresford to my attention and steered my interest onto it.

I like the versatility of it and I will be able to use it in my main set-up as a dac for the Panasonic playing 24/96 PCM files I burn on DVD (DVD-V) format which one is able to get as is on the Spdif, and red book cds. As a headphone amp I can also use it with my pc.

I have “grown” in the 80s, a time when British HiFi was the King of the hill and the word Arcam would cause shivers in my mind… I still own that Alpha 5 cd-player!

Well, nowdays I am a “value” minded chap and I have to admit there seems to be a lot of “value” in the Caiman.

Working in sales I give too much emphasis on the man behind the sale. I have to admit that being able to deal with Stan is where the real “value” is in Beresford products… this is the first time (well, second to be honest) that I buy a non-local product and I be able to reach the developer himself.

Stan, I look forward to receiving the unit and have a great time with it performing my beloved tunes!!!

I will make sure I leave feedback of my impressions.

So many words just to say “I’m really exited”.

Thank you guys for the quality of this forum and the hospitality here!

Nice to meet you all!

MartinT
17-03-2011, 13:19
Hi Lefteris

Would you mind popping into the Welcome Area and say hello please?

Cheers and welcome!

laughingbuddha
07-11-2011, 19:14
I have a basic technical question wondered if anyone here could clarify how a DAC converts to Analogue ? I know this seems like a dummy question, but given that what you put in from the sound source being compressed digital information how dose that then become analogue ? ''Digital remains Digital'' surely ??

I've been testing unit with a 24bit Wolfson WM8740 with a high performance operational amplifier from ADI in the DAC circuit the sound seems enhanced brighter but coloured very much an improvement on my digital source in terms of clarity but I'm not convinced that there is an analogue conversion going on, more a leaning up and refinement of the digital source coming in, anyone got an opinion on that ?

Labarum
07-11-2011, 19:22
http://www.planetoftunes.com/digiaudio/how_a_to_d.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter

MartinT
08-11-2011, 06:38
Hi laughingbuddha

Please could you pop into the welcome section and introduce yourself? Thanks.

Your terminology is confusing. All DACs are digital to analogue converters so I am unsure what you mean by "I'm not convinced that there is an analogue conversion going on" nor "what you put in from the sound source being compressed digital information"?

What you put in to a DAC is a digital stream representing the original analogue signal. Whether or not the analogue signal was compressed is immaterial. The digits just represent the waveform at points in time - this is the sampling frequency.

Perhaps if you re-phrase your question a little more clearly we could help?