PDA

View Full Version : Avondale amps

Floyddroid
16-08-2014, 05:10
Anyone on AOS using Avondale amps?:)

337alant
16-08-2014, 07:23
Steve,

Yes I use the NCC-200 power amps, they are superb IMO clean, transparent and powerfull. Mine are DIY build though, les does some lovely cases and his build finish is allways excellent.
http://www.avondaleaudio.com/
Pictures here https://www.facebook.com/avondaleaudio

Les also does dual mono blocks called the M130's, then there is the ultimate version of his amps, the Voyager mono blocks which still use the same NCC-200 power amp boards but with a dedicated front end regulated constant current power supply and a seperate output unregulated supply this realy takes them to another level.
The grad 1 pre amp is also very speacial as you have heard at the NEBO 4, I dont own one of these but maybe some day;)
Les also does a preamp with his 821 boards as well which by all accounts is excellent as well
The amps I have are built in a single case but a dual mono build except for a shared transformer.
I am in the process of building a pair of diy Voyager amps as we speak ;)

Alan

YNWaN
16-08-2014, 09:26
I don't actually use them but I have been luck enough to have been loaned a pair of Les' 'Voyager' amps once.

The Witchhat amps are based on Avondale boards I believe.

Pete The Cat
16-08-2014, 21:36
Yes, I use Avondale M1 Monos which pre-date their current range.

I came to these after several John Farlowe Exposures and found them a touch better in bass definition (which is saying something IMHO), and similar in terms of upfront, punchy and warm character.

I reckon these are the ninth amps on my journey, and are probably my keepers now :kiss:

Pete

CornishPasty
18-08-2014, 17:45
Yes, I have home built Voyagers.

Floyddroid
18-08-2014, 20:39
Are they as good as i have read?
Yes, I have home built Voyagers.

CornishPasty
18-08-2014, 21:18
Are they as good as i have read?

Yes they are. I built them to use in a two channel AV set up instead of using the pair of big valve monos in the main system. It seemed a waste for the me and missus to have these burning juice just to watch a film. Whilst I prefer the valve monos overall I don't think they've been on at all this year.

Floyddroid
19-08-2014, 05:33
Yes i really fancy a pair. Les brought along some amps to Nebo 4 and they were very tasty. It did make me wonder what his top of the range amps would be like.