PDA

View Full Version : Trad Jaz Anybody?

DaveK
22-07-2009, 08:12
Good Mornin' All,
Just been listening to BBC 1 Breakfast programme and they interviewed Kenny Ball and Acker Bilk. Together with Chris Barber they are about to play the O2/Indigo arena and have just launched/about to launch a new 2 CD set of their old hits - should be worth a listen even though,by their own admission, they can't hold the long notes like they used to.
Guess I'm just a sucker for nostalgia or hits of that period :lol:
Cheers,

Marco
22-07-2009, 08:20
LOL. You're showing your age now, Davey-boy... :eyebrows:

Even Neil Sedaka is more hip! :lol:

Marco.

symon
22-07-2009, 09:01
Chris Barber is one of the most important people in the development of British blues/rock. He was the guy who started bringing the real old blues guys over first and got everyone else excited.

Marco
22-07-2009, 09:22
Hi Peter,

I'm talking about Acker Bilk :)

Maybe I don't appreciate this kind of stuff because it was before my time...

Marco.

symon
22-07-2009, 09:30
Hehe - Stranger on the Shore. There used to be a programme on in the 80s which put new videos to old songs (I think hosted by Simon Bates!!) and Stranger on the Shore had a particularly soppy and sad video which ended up with a happy dog being left on the beach.

You should get ionto this stuff Marco - you'll be surprised who started up the blues boom that influenced the big bands (pun intended) of the 60s in England.

Marco
22-07-2009, 09:44
Mmm... Maybe, once I've exhausted listening to all the decent music there is first! :lolsign:

Marco [off to listen to Tracey Thorn and PJ Harvey, for starters...] ;)

DaveK
22-07-2009, 10:02
LOL. You're showing your age now, Davey-boy... :eyebrows:

Even Neil Sedaka is more hip! :lol:

Marco.
Hi Marco,
Bet you wish you'd never said this now, don't you - you're drawing some flak, and rightly so to IMO !!:lol::lol:. Just 'cos you don't appreciate it, or can't remeber it, doesn't make it irrelevant to those of us with (different) taste :ner::ner::ner::ner:
With regards to my age, I've never hidden it - check my previous posts :ner::ner: - only the lucky grow old - think about it.
Nothin' wrong with Sedaka or Diamond in my opinion, so there !!:ner:
Have a good day!!

Marco
22-07-2009, 10:16
Hehehehe... I'll go and dig out my Peters & Lee, Perry Como and James Last albums, then.... AYE RIGHT, WATCH ME!!! :laser:

:guns:

:dynamite:

:sorry:

:lol:

:door:

Marco.

symon
22-07-2009, 10:37
Mmm... Maybe, once I've exhausted listening to all the decent music there is first! :lolsign:

Marco [off to listen to Tracey Thorn and PJ Harvey, for starters...] ;)

I reckon that without the work of these oldies (Chris Barber in particular) you wouldn't have PJ Harvey as you know and love!

DaveK
22-07-2009, 10:38
Hi Marco,
Don't forget Val Doonican, Richard Clayderman, Russ Conway, Winifred Atwell, Bobby Crush, Mrs. Mills - don't forget the pianists. Also Robson and Gerome, Rene and Renata, Abbi and Esther Ofarim and those 2 old gentlemen from the same era who bring out a 'new' CD every Christmas and whose names escapes me at the moment - age hath it's problems :lol:
They'll all be there somewhere in your collection, gathering dust, perhaps that's what you keep behind the little door in your listening room, only to be brought out when you're sure of not being overheard ! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Cheers,
PS,
Were all the above all the rage when your famous Tannoys were being designed and produced ?. Has the thought occurred to you that the design principle behind your Tannoys, in which they succeeded admirably, was to sound good when playing such music ? Ponder on that thought over lunch.:lolsign:

symon
22-07-2009, 11:00
Robson and Jerome!!!! Good Lord!

REM
22-07-2009, 12:43
Don't forget Chas & Dave as sampled by Eminem on his debut smash hit My Name Is, from Wikipedia:-

For rapper Eminem's hit single "My Name Is," hip hop record producer Dr. Dre wanted to use a sample (written by Siffre and including Siffre on electric piano) of his song I Got The for the rhythm track. Siffre objected to what he describes as "lazy writing" (in the sleeve notes of the EMI re-mastered CD of the source album Remember My Song): "Attacking two of the usual scapegoats, women and gays, is lazy writing. If you want to do battle, attack the aggressors not the victims". This tune also featured English duo Chas & Dave who were at the time prominent Session musicians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labi_Siffre

How cool is that:smoking::smoking:

The Grand Wazoo
22-07-2009, 17:36
Don't forget Chas & Dave This tune also featured English duo Chas & Dave who were at the time prominent Session musicians.

How cool is that:smoking::smoking:

Chas Hodges was once in a band called Outlaws, along with a certain Ritchie Blackmore.......they used to wear cowboy outfits on stage(!) They made several Joe Meek produced singles

The first I ever heard of Chas & Dave was when they supported an Eric Clapton tour in the early '80's. Can't say they were my cup of tea though

Joe
22-07-2009, 18:43
My tastes go back even further; I have a soft spot for music hall performers, particularly one Gus Elen, whose approach to work seems very sensible:

Some people knuckle down through being out of work,
But I ain't one of them, not me.
If a gaffer starts to nag,
I soon picks up me bag
And I flops him one with this, you see...
It don't do to make people think you're out of work,
Cause they're bound to turn their heads the other way.
It makes no odds to me what the future's going to be
So long as I've got all I want today...

Cho: So, what's the use of kicking up a row
If there ain't no work about?
If you can't get a job, you can rest in bed
Till the school kids all come out.
And if you can't get work, you can't get the sack--
That's an argument that's sensible and sound.
So, lay your head back on your pillow,
And read the Daily Mirror;
And wait till the work comes round.

When trade gets very rocky and you has to take the knocky,
It's best to face the music like a brick.
And if creditors come down on you for everything you own,
You should bash them on the crumpet with a stick!
A lot of people walk the streets, a-looking out for work
Till they haven't got a leg to call their own;
Instead of just a-waiting for the work to come to them,
With their feet stuck on the mantle-piece at home... (Chorus)