PDA

View Full Version : Michell Gyrodec or Gyrodec SE

Eagle owl
12-08-2014, 19:39
As per the thread title, I'm considering buying one of these turntables fitted with a Rega RB303 arm. For the cartridge I'm considering a Shure M97XE, what are your views on this setup please ? I don't really want to spend more than this. Another possibility would be a Rega RP8 with the same cartridge.

337alant
12-08-2014, 21:30
Great turntable and easy to set up for more reliable and consistant than my LP12
I have a gyrodeck SE with an Orbe platter and an Audiomods Ver4 arm
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5503/11213855903_f956623303_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/i5VWFa). (https://flic.kr/p/i5VWFa) by 337alant (https://www.flickr.com/people/69508926@N05/), on Flickr

It will be up for sale shortly as I have too many turntables and some will have to go

Alan

Gazjam
12-08-2014, 21:39
Since I've got my Gyro with Orbe upgrades I've been looking at what effect the Orbe upgrades I have do over the basic Gyro - like any self respecting hifi obsessive would. :)

In the process of doing this I've been on a lot of forums, turntable specific and not and the general consensus I've picked up is that the SE version has slightly better sound quality than the full plinth version.

Makes sense I guess as there's less plinth area to resonate/pick up airborne vibrations?
Spoke with Steve at Michell himself about this and he says the SE is the better option sound quality wise.

brian2957
12-08-2014, 21:42
I'll be over in the morning to assess the new upgrades mate . If the turntable sounds as good as it looks I'll be in for a treat :)

Eagle owl
12-08-2014, 22:04
Since I've got my Gyro with Orbe upgrades I've been looking at what effect the Orbe upgrades I have do over the basic Gyro - like any self respecting hifi obsessive would. :)

In the process of doing this I've been on a lot of forums, turntable specific and not and the general consensus I've picked up is that the SE version has slightly better sound quality than the full plinth version.

Makes sense I guess as there's less plinth area to resonate/pick up airborne vibrations?
Spoke with Steve at Michell himself about this and he says the SE is the better option sound quality wise.

That's interesting Gary, will the Rega RB303 and Shure M97XE work together and give good results ?

Tarzan
13-08-2014, 05:11
As per the thread title, I'm considering buying one of these turntables fitted with a Rega RB303 arm. For the cartridge I'm considering a Shure M97XE, what are your views on this setup please ? I don't really want to spend more than this. Another possibility would be a Rega RP8 with the same cartridge.

Depends what you are looking for Geoffrey, SE for sound quality, Full Gyro for looks.

Gazjam
13-08-2014, 08:11
That's interesting Gary, will the Rega RB303 and Shure M97XE work together and give good results ?

Honestly cant give you an answer on that one Geoff, have a different arm and cart on my deck.
That said,
My arm is based on an earlier version of your Rega 303 and works great on my Turntable, so don't see why your 303 shouldn't do the business for you.

That cartridge has good reviews and your Rega arm will allow it to do its best, so on paper its all good. :)

Gazjam
13-08-2014, 08:13
I'll be over in the morning to assess the new upgrades mate . If the turntable sounds as good as it looks I'll be in for a treat :)

sorry mate, its broke. :)

hifi_dave
13-08-2014, 17:03
I think the SE version looks beautiful whereas the full version looks huge and clumsy. To my eyes, anyway.

Gazjam
13-08-2014, 18:05
I think the SE version looks beautiful whereas the full version looks huge and clumsy. To my eyes, anyway.

Agree with this...
As a kid I used to drool over the Gyro in Dealers stores, was always the full plinth "bronze" deck with smoked black glass...gorgeous.

Looking at it now though its very old fashioned looking and needlessly big compared to the sportier SE version.
SE's gorgeous in black have to say ;)

Each to their own though.

Tarzan
14-08-2014, 06:17
Agree with this...
As a kid I used to drool over the Gyro in Dealers stores, was always the full plinth "bronze" deck with smoked black glass...gorgeous.

Looking at it now though its very old fashioned looking and needlessly big compared to the sportier SE version.
SE's gorgeous in black have to say ;)

Each to their own though.

x2 Does look stunning in black, was in two minds about getting black, then thought about all the dust etc.......

Eagle owl
14-08-2014, 11:29
Thank you for the replies folks. :thumbsup:

Gazjam
22-08-2014, 17:38
x2 Does look stunning in black, was in two minds about getting black, then thought about all the dust etc.......

Yup, she's a beauty in black
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61/gazjamster/20140803_154259_6_bestshot.jpg (http://s434.photobucket.com/user/gazjamster/media/20140803_154259_6_bestshot.jpg.html)
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61/gazjamster/20140803_154400.jpg (http://s434.photobucket.com/user/gazjamster/media/20140803_154400.jpg.html)

Absolutely love it, sounds fantastic and gives great pride of ownership.

The dust, well....thats what dusters are for!

Tarzan
23-08-2014, 05:11
Is that an Orbe with a Gyro motor?- Any road looks stunning:eek:

Tarzan
23-08-2014, 05:24
:doh: Just seen your equipment listing, how does the Audiofile Base perform under the T/T Gary?:)

Gazjam
23-08-2014, 06:42
Andy,
My deck was a 2nd hand mint silver Gyro I got for a bargain price.

The previous owner added the Orbe platter, the HR power supply, and arm decoupling kit.
Always wanted a Gyro but wasn't so into the "Carriage Clock" platter or the silver bling look.
Only one colour for me, batmobile black....and the look of the Orbe? ...whoa..

So gradually I've been (I suppose) getting my deck as close to an Orbe as I can
I've had the technoarm rewired and reoiled the bearing with something a bit better, added the Orbe double spider and feet and swapped out the silver spring covers and armboard for black.
I had the silver sub chassis sprayed matt black at a local car place.
Obsessive much? :)
Michell were absolutely fantastic in helping me out, their spares Dept and service are second to none in my book.

So technically I guess its a Gyro with everything Orbe except the motor unit.
Or is it an Orbe with a Gyro motor...dunno!
If its available to buy separately an Orbe motor unit, or at least a black Gyro motor, is somewhere down the line, BUT...that ain't going to be cheap so will need to wait.
I know the Orbe motor is a different beast from the Gyro and would be the final upgrade for my deck.
Need to get some opinions though if swapping out the Gyro motor for something better would be worth the expense.
Ain't going to be cheap and not sure if worth it if purely cosmetic.
That said...go the whole hog?

Anyway...
I just sit back and enjoy it now and think....yeah. :)

Gazjam
23-08-2014, 06:56
Not sure of the impact of the Audiofile Base perform to be honest Andy?
It came with my deck I've always used it. Gets good reviews?

Imagine the Mitchell being a bouncy deck would benefit from good isolation so probably a good thing in my setup.
Don't have the space to wall mount it, though it sits on a good quality rack on a stone floor so hopefully not too bad.

wiicrackpot
23-08-2014, 09:36
Gary, i don't normally do this coming across as so condescending,
but it seems rude not to put a SME IV or V on that beaut (sorry, mine's is not for sale),
n'joy your new rig. :)

Gazjam
23-08-2014, 14:13
I've heard Andy that the SME V and the Gyro are a great match.

If I ever feel the need to upgrade the arm the V's the one I'd be looking at.
(In black of course :))

Tarzan
23-08-2014, 15:12

Yep, just looks right.:eek::cool:

Reffc
23-08-2014, 15:36

I've run a Gyro SE for years with the SME 309 Magnesium and the Gyro with any SME arm is a good match imho.