PDA

View Full Version : my audio gear - mostly home brew

TKK
22-07-2009, 02:22
A single Lowther PM2A is front loaded on a Azura/Le'Cleach 206 and a 50hz back-horn with one 90 degree bend and no folding completes a rather ungainly speaker cabinet. Brainchild of Martin Seddon and building plans are free at his website: http://azurahorn.com/

A single 6BX7 from a single 6SL7 providing both gain and drive is more than adequate to firm up the body of the Lowther and showcase her sinews.

The Teres kit from May 2001 consists of bearing, platter, dc motor, motor housing and electronics within cost under U$800 then. Impeccable build quality from the second production run. I have had the WT arm since 1994 and never since looked at another.

Pulled from parts in my tool box, the belt tensioner unquestionably works to banish speed drift, a bane of DC motors.

John
22-07-2009, 04:06
A beautiful system

DaveK
22-07-2009, 07:38
Hi Kee,
Love the 'G' clamps on the TT - obviously WAF is not a problem for you !!
Cheers,

Spectral Morn
22-07-2009, 08:24
Hi Kee

Thanks for posting the photos, as I thought a very interesting system. I look forward to your contributions on the forum.

Regards D S D L

TKK
22-07-2009, 10:34
Gentlemen

Thank you for your interest. As I had thought, this a great place to be part of. I'll be delighted to share.

Mr. C
22-07-2009, 16:20
Hi Kee,

Are you based in HK by any chance?

Jonboy
22-07-2009, 17:30
I though i had problems with my 57's and the wife but this goes a bit further, very intersting though:smoking:

TKK
23-07-2009, 01:58
Mr C

Hong Kong? Nay. My stuff would be sneered at over there. And the horns sure won't fit in.

Dave, Jon

It may tickle you to know the rig is in my bedroom. She insisted on it!

Spectral Morn
23-07-2009, 09:15
Hi Kee

No one else has asked, but I will.....what are the G clamps for on the turntable ?

Regards D S D L

TKK
23-07-2009, 10:56
Neil

The plinth is made up of 4 half-inch clued layers of high density fibreboards. You could see I have a slab of aluminium below that plinth and in unison they produce better sonic results when clamped than when secured by screws. To me, at least. Screwing the layers together don't do anything except add mass at the bottom. The clamps afford a certain degree of resonance tunability on the plinth, especially if done at the corners. They look silly, but as far as I can tell, the whole ensemble works well in the context of the system. That's important – in the context of the system. I had a much heavier lead-loaded solid teak plinth for comparison which didn't appeal to me sonically as much and I got rid of it.

The small American walnut tonearm board is similarly clamped at one point and 2 shallow screws are deployed on the opposite side to keep the board in place. The tunability has a marginally greater effect here. That's not hard to envision, I think.

rgds,

Spectral Morn
23-07-2009, 11:03
Neil

The plinth is made up of 4 half-inch clued layers of high density fibreboards. You could see I have a slab of aluminium below that plinth and in unison they produce better sonic results when clamped than when secured by screws. To me, at least. Screwing the layers together don't do anything except add mass at the bottom. The clamps afford a certain degree of resonance tunability on the plinth, especially if done at the corners. They look silly, but as far as I can tell, the whole ensemble works well in the context of the system. That's important – in the context of the system. I had a much heavier lead-loaded solid teak plinth for comparison which didn't appeal to me sonically as much and I got rid of it.

The small American walnut tonearm board is similarly clamped at one point and 2 shallow screws are deployed on the opposite side to keep the board in place. The tunability has a marginally greater effect here. That's not hard to envision, I think.

rgds,

Very interesting....thank you for the answer. The ability to change the pressure points and pressure holding material together, will no doubt raise lots of possibilities among our DIY members. Food for thought.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
04-08-2009, 15:23
Those speakers look like they could eat you - awesome!