PDA

View Full Version : Album Club 12.08.2014 The Cult - Electric

Album Club
11-08-2014, 19:45
Album Club 12.08.2014 The Cult – Electric

Following a “cabinet re-shuffle” behind the scenes, the Album Club is running a week behind schedule. Apologies for the delay. This, final, submission completes the Round and is by courtesy of Andy (Tarzan).

The Cult – ‘Electric’

Here is my second choice for album club. I love music from the late sixties and early seventies rock in all its forms and this LP, although from 1987, lends a nod to this era - with a twist.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51D1K38M5GL._SX300_.jpg

My choice this time is The Cult's 1987 classic 'Electric' which for Ian Astbury and the boys was a bit of a departure. Being a heavy rock album, this LP has more guitar riffs than you could shake an air guitar at, the standout tracks are; 'Love Removal Machine' 'King Contrary Man' and everything in between. There is not a bad track on the LP. What I would like to mention is the production of this album: it is loud, proud and in yer face, yet is so clean and clear, you can smell the dirty denim, leathers and engine oil; guitars are nasty and the drums are big boned, with echo around them. So have listen, turn the volume right the way up and break out the air guitar!
http://theartofsound.net/images/smilies/wail_guitar.gif

'Love Removal Machine'!!!!

Did I say play this album loud!!!!!?

Spotify link: spotify:album:6b36dzEUgqlYQ27RN3DdqE

Love Removal Machine
vneFS48Z4Ws

King Contrary Man
-FXaDD1Gk9E

Electric Ocean
B142zE5Sj8A

Bad Fun
U_FA5ACv6f0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_(The_Cult_album)

Barry
13-08-2014, 00:53
Well as heavy metal goes they're OK. The trouble is I don't like heavy metal and after 38 minutes listening on headphones (and yes I did play it loud), I was both bored and tired.

Even track 9: "Born to Be Wild" was, in my opinion, done better by Steppenwolf.

Sorry, only 4/10 from me.

Tarzan
13-08-2014, 05:06
Thanks for putting up with my faffing Barry- 4/10 that is outrageous!

They are a bit of a Marmite group l would agree.

Audio Al
13-08-2014, 08:26
I cant get the Spotify link to work :scratch:

Macca
13-08-2014, 09:00
Not popular with Cult fans when released since the previous album 'Love' had attracted a huge Goth following who did not really appreciate the band going in a new direction. 'Born To Be Wild' is not as good as the Steppenwolf original, but it is still performed with conviction and I quite like it. 'Love Removal Machine' is a classic rock track. Try and spot the rip off of Cream's 'White Room' too. It's not hard :) Rick Rubin produced I believe. It's a good rock and roll album, not pretentious, it gets the adrenaline going and the sap rising. And you can't appreciate this sort of music through headphones so don't even try.

Tarzan
13-08-2014, 15:56
Not popular with Cult fans when released since the previous album 'Love' had attracted a huge Goth following who did not really appreciate the band going in a new direction. 'Born To Be Wild' is not as good as the Steppenwolf original, but it is still performed with conviction and I quite like it. 'Love Removal Machine' is a classic rock track. Try and spot the rip off of Cream's 'White Room' too. It's not hard :) Rick Rubin produced I believe. It's a good rock and roll album, not pretentious, it gets the adrenaline going and the sap rising. And you can't appreciate this sort of music through headphones so don't even try.

How many out of ten Martin?:)

Macca
13-08-2014, 16:23
It's a six from me. Now if you had stuck up 'Love' that would have been an eight. She Sells Sanctuary is worth 5 points all on its own :)

Pete The Cat
13-08-2014, 20:27
I confess that I'm a long term fan of The Cult. I think that they've made the most of their opportunities - with respect to them I don't think they're the most naturally gifted but they've been prepared to throw themselves into different styles and more often than not they've stayed relevant. It's a very long time since Southern Death Cult.

I recall that they revisited this album after early sessions with Steve Brown which have since been released and are worth a listen, but Rick Rubin's subsequent production made them so close and upfront that they're practically in your trousers.

Sure, some of it is clichéd and lumpen - I reckon BTBW is a homage and not intended to be definitive - but overall it rocks a damned sight more than most 80's rock does. "Lil Devil" is great pop, "Wild Flower" shakes its thing and "Peace Dog" is as heavy as AC/DC.

Not quite a 9 (I'd give that to "Sonic Temple") but a very strong 8 from me.

Thanks for reminding me, I've been spinning it as I write.

Pete

RichB
14-08-2014, 09:46
This was the album that got me into them given it was timed just right for me discovering rock music in a big way so very nostalgic.

A few years later I would see these at the Whitley Bay ice rink and had to lifted out of the moshpit and handed to the St Johns Ambulance at the side of the stage after passing out with too much vodka on an empty stomach. The medics gave me some coca cola and I pulled round and made it into the wings where i got to watch the rest of the show and got a handshake from Ian.

A 9 from me.

johnB
14-08-2014, 18:22
I always thought this lot seemed to take themselves a bit seriously, but without much substance (similar to my view on early Manics...although I like their later stuff). My unfair preconceptions aside, it's a decent loud guitar LP which I do play and enjoy when I'm in the right mood . I Really like their run of 12" singles from around this time also

8/10 from me

John

Martinblueboy
14-09-2014, 19:17
Rather late in replying to this. I remember playing this at my cousins place around the time it came out at ear splitting volume. We went out to the pub for a couple and when we came back it was still playing. To this day I'm not entirely sure why it was still playing but we were met by a very angry neighbour :-(. Very irresponsible behaviour.

I always really liked this one though. 8/10 from me.

Us-&-Them
17-08-2015, 22:26
Really great band !!! I like Electric but, I'm not too much of a fan of Rick Rubin's modus operandi (the stripped down sound). Still a hard hitting album but it just wasnt quite the right blend due to the production. I prefer Sonic Temple (fabulous album) and Love. The Cult (for me) were the only ones who could ever mix psychedelic and arena rock together in a way that truly worked.

high.spirits
18-08-2015, 08:34
Not my type of music at all. I like a driving drum beat, however its gets a bit monotonous all the way through. 4/10 from me - sorry.

WAD62
18-08-2015, 18:49
As an early fan of 'Southern death Cult' I much prefer their earlier stuff, even 'Love' would have been more up my street!

I went to see this tour at Radio City Music Hall in New York prior to the album's release, so was really looking forward to it...what a disappointment to see the Cult become a parody of 'Bad News on Tour'...Billy Duffy even looked like Ade Edmondson's character in the 'Comic Strip Presents'.

The best thing about the evening was the support, 'Gay Bikers on Acid'...very entertaining, they even had black cardboard boxes as mock amp stacks, with 'Amstrad' emblazoned on the front...well I thought it was funny, but I'm not sure the American audience got the joke ;)

So 3/10 for me...:(

P.S. Have a listen to UNKLE's 'War Stories' album, if you like the cult...

Smegger68
26-04-2018, 01:22
A marmite album for Cult fans. Being a bit of a goth in the early 80's I'd absolutely loved Southern Death Cult and Dreamtime, and had struggled with the synths on Love. I eventually got past that and this album coincided with a new found interest in classic rock after listening to the albums of my new university mates. So when this landed on my turntable I was much more accepting of it than I had been of Love. I remember rocking out in Cardiff St Davids Hall on the UK tour for the album, and had an absolutely massive tour poster up in my student digs for the next couple of years. Looking back on it now, it's dated a bit and is showing up it's formulaic underpinnings somewhat, but is a decent listen for all that. 7/10 for me :)