PDA

View Full Version : Sony ES Goodies for sale

istari_knight
10-08-2014, 18:33
Up for grabs here are some lovely ES components...

First up is a TA-F700ES integrated amplifier from 1988, I would rate condition as 9/10... A couple of small marks but overall its pretty damn fine. Includes original box, user manual, guarantee card & original purchase receipt ! Fully tested, bias & DC offset reset to factory values so it doesn't run like a cooker, its exceptionally clean inside with no signs of stress or deterioration. Cost me £260 but I will take £230 for it.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3907/14692075917_8823fcb4c8_c.jpg

Picture album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/87920837@N06/sets/72157646339691675/

Next up is the matching ST-S700ES analogue tuner with digital display also from 1988, condition I would rate as 7/10... Fully working & front fascia is clean but there is a couple of scratches on the top cover. Sounds fantastic, due to the lack of rds & tuning knob they are greatly underappreciated IMO - Internals are stuffed full of "Great Supply" & "Muse" capacitors... Will take £25 for it.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3837/14855650656_ea17eeeffc_c.jpg

Picture album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/87920837@N06/sets/72157645925694970/

Also have a CDP-X229ES cdp which I'm considering selling but not sure yet... I can add details & pictures if anyones interested ? I'd be looking for around £50 for it which needless to say is pretty good for an ES spinner...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3849/14876191254_850283b08c.jpg

Holla if you're interested in anything, happy to courier with UPS which usually works out around £12.

istari_knight
10-08-2014, 22:47
Amp+tuner reserved :)

walpurgis
10-08-2014, 22:53
That's a good looking amp James. Not that I know anything about the model.

istari_knight
10-08-2014, 22:59
That's a good looking amp James. Not that I know anything about the model.

Its an 18kg lump Geoff, 110wpc@8R / 140wpc@4R.

Sounds damn good too, a little bit better than the TA-F770ES to my ears... Not that much in it though. As it doesnt use Mosfets like the later ES amps it runs pretty cool which is nice, I don't like hot running SS amps.

Here's a nude shot :eyebrows:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5551/14694154260_767b6a9012_c.jpg

walpurgis
10-08-2014, 23:19
Its an 18kg lump Geoff, 110wpc@8R / 140wpc@4R.

Sounds damn good too, a little bit better than the TA-F770ES to my ears... Not that much in it though. As it doesnt use Mosfets like the later ES amps it runs pretty cool which is nice, I don't like hot running SS amps.

Lovely neat looking internals, typical of Japanese amps.

I only use hot running SS amps (and valves of course). Class A seems to suit my ears best!

istari_knight
10-08-2014, 23:45
I only use hot running SS amps (and valves of course). Class A seems to suit my ears best!

Think of the poor planet ! http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/istari_knight9/treehug_zps7293bf7b.gif

Fair do's, I'm trying to go valve myself but its a PITA as limited budget buys limited watts which makes speaker selection "interesting".

walpurgis
11-08-2014, 16:27
Think of the poor planet ! http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/istari_knight9/treehug_zps7293bf7b.gif

Fair do's, I'm trying to go valve myself but its a PITA as limited budget buys limited watts which makes speaker selection "interesting".

Have you considered the full range high efficiency driver route. Build your own cabs and you've got a bargain speaker.

istari_knight
11-08-2014, 18:21
That is my preferred route Geoff :eyebrows:

Unfortunately I can't afford Tannoy's, HPD or otherwise... I had a pair of Goodmans 301's for a bit which were really rather good but do need a [super?]tweeter ideally & are starting to rocket in price now :rolleyes:

Any sub £300 recommendations ?

Ninanina
11-08-2014, 20:58

Unfortunately I can't afford Tannoy's, HPD or otherwise... I had a pair of Goodmans 301's for a bit which were really rather good but do need a [super?]tweeter ideally & are starting to rocket in price now :rolleyes:

James .... my suggestion would be Klipsch, of course!!, some Heresys on ebay at mo. They only need a couple of good watts to shine...

A long time ago I had a pair of very expensive Tannoy DC's but to be honest I preferred the Klipsch; I found the Tannoys rather boring in comparison....

My Audio Note, at about 8watts, drives the Klipsch extremely well but I think just a couple of watts would be enough... my previous Heresys I owned I used with 1.5watts of SET amp and that was absolutely plenty !!!... I never should have sold my first Klipsch, but there you go we do these things in hifi and then regret it...:doh::doh:

Ninanina
11-08-2014, 21:21
If it helps I also, with the help of my partner... he thought I was crazy but there you go.... we built a huge pair of Voigt pipes using a good set of Fostex full range drivers.... they were good but still no patch on the Klipsch....

The set we built were about 6' high and pretty good to be honest; a dealer purchased them from me (exluding drivers) and was well happy with them

I've got a pic of them somewhere, I will try to find it

However good the Voigt's were the Klipsch beats them hands down though...

I sold a pair of Klipsch to "Puffin" on here and I think he is still happy with them .. if that helps

istari_knight
11-08-2014, 21:25
Thanks for that Bev, I was watching them having heard interesting things ;)

I'd be interested to see the Voigt's if you can find a piccy ? Also, any copies of the design plans available ?

walpurgis
11-08-2014, 21:29

I was thinking more of something like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-pair-DAVIDLOUIS-AUDIO-HiEND-5-inch-full-range-fullrange-speaker-PK-fostex-/221472104176?pt=UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&hash=item3390c41ef0

Or these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/match-pair-2pcs-Lcao-HiEND-6-5inch-fullrange-speaker-PK-Lowther-fostex-/221502828395?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item339298ef6b

I have actually bought drivers from this seller and been very satisfied. These little full range drivers look rather good. I reckon something like those would sound cracking in a horn coupled reflex box or constant width full horn

Ninanina
11-08-2014, 21:33
Thanks for that Bev, I was watching them having heard interesting things ;)

I'd be interested to see the Voigt's if you can find a piccy ? Also, any copies of the design plans available ?

James I THINK I used this as a plan:::

http://brinesacoustics.com/Pages/Voigt_Pipe.html

But I didn't leave the port square, I made it round and then got a round tuning pipe to insert into the void, so that you could 'tune' the bass response...

However I would STILL recommend a pair of Klipsch... I've now had 3 pairs of Klipsch and my current pair are definitely keepers..... that is unless I could get a pair of ESL's to work in my current room, which to be honest I doubt....!!

The Heresys I have simply need to be 'plonked' down, they seem to be quite happy with that... I do have a slant (even though I'm not using the Klipsch wooden slant bases) to the Heresys... if you want more info just ask... it's an easy fix

istari_knight
11-08-2014, 21:38
Very interesting food for thought Geoff :stalks: Do you feel there's any benefit in using Alnico magnets ? £100 premium is quite a jump...

Must say, these look quite nice - Might sound crap though !

http://www.decware.com/newsite/images/ZOB580.jpg

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZOB.html

Ninanina
11-08-2014, 21:43
However..... if you want the BEST full range speaker it has to be ANY Lowther driver....

I had a pair of Lowther Acousta speakers, using Lowther PM6A's and they were quite superb, however they are notoriously unreliable and seem to always want adjusting and the voice coil centering... and I can tell you that centering the voice coils is a HUGE pain in the B*m.. !!

While the Accousta's were working they are magical but just too unreliable for me...

As an aside the PM6's are now about £450 each... so pretty much a 'no go' anymore...

Ninanina
11-08-2014, 21:47
James it's strange that you mention Decware speakers as it's the Decware Zen SE84 C amp that I was using with both the Lowther's and the original Heresys I had at the time, it was about 1.5watts then..

A superb amp for the money.... which I think at the time I paid about $500 .... but don't hold me to that...!! it's a long time ago

walpurgis
11-08-2014, 21:55
Very interesting food for thought Geoff :stalks: Do you feel there's any benefit in using Alnico magnets ? £100 premium is quite a jump...

Many say Alnico makes a difference, just as is said about Neodimium. Can't say I've heard any myself and I've used all types. A properly designed magnet assembly should surely give similar results regardless of magnet material I'd have thought.

Although I do have an 8" pair of the L Cao drivers with Alnico magnets.

http://i58.tinypic.com/29omz9d.jpg

Not sure I concur with Bev's thoughts on Lowthers. I've owned a couple of pairs of Acoustas myself and although the sound is certainly different and spectacular, It's got what I regard as horrible colourations.

YNWaN
11-08-2014, 21:58
Must say, these look quite nice - Might sound crap though !

Well they are $3.5k so not exactly for the budget conscious - I'm deeply sceptical about their coherent bass claims too.

Have you heard many full range driver systems - they have very specific strengths but equally compromises.

Ninanina
11-08-2014, 22:12
Not sure I concur with Bev's thoughts on Lowthers. I've owned a couple of pairs of Acoustas myself and although the sound is certainly different and spectacular, It's got what I regard as horrible colourations.

Geoff I totally agree with your thoughts about Lowther, they do have some colourations HOWEVER what they do well they do VERY well.... quite superb WHEN they are working well.... my thoughts only... of course..

And I should add that I wouln't rush back to a pair of Lowthers, due mainly to their rather delicate nature.... ;)

istari_knight
11-08-2014, 22:41
James I THINK I used this as a plan:::

http://brinesacoustics.com/Pages/Voigt_Pipe.html

But I didn't leave the port square, I made it round and then got a round tuning pipe to insert into the void, so that you could 'tune' the bass reponse...

However I would STILL recommend a pair of Klipsch... I've now had 3 pairs of Klipsch and my current pair are definitely keepers..... that is unless I could get a pair of ESL's to work in my current room, which to be honest I doubt....!!

The Heresys I have simply need to be 'plonked' down, they seem to be quite happy with that... I do have a slant (even though I'm not using the Klipsch wooden slant bases) to the Heresys... if you want more info just ask... it's an easy fix

Thanks for that :thumbsup: Theres an interesting Voigt themed thread over on PFM - Well worth a browse !

However..... if you want the BEST full range speaker it has to be ANY Lowther driver....

I had a pair of Lowther Acousta speakers, using Lowther PM6A's and they were quite superb, however they are notoriously unreliable and seem to always want adjusting and the voice coil centering... and I can tell you that centering the voice coils is a HUGE pain in the B*m.. !!

While the Accousta's were working they are magical but just too unreliable for me...

As an aside the PM6's are now about £450 each... so pretty much a 'no go' anymore...

Not sold on Lowther, I've heard far too many horror stories & they do seem a little too niche... At this point in time :D

James it's strange that you mention Decware speakers as it's the Decware Zen SE84 C amp that I was using with both the Lowther's and the original Heresys I had at the time, it was about 1.5watts then..

A superb amp for the money.... which I think at the time I paid about $500 .... but don't hold me to that...!! it's a long time ago

I've got all the bits here to build a "Zen" clone Bev hence my interest in the "ZOB's". You can buy the plans off Steve's website & DIY'ers have tried quite a few different drivers with success... Apparently !

Many say Alnico makes a difference, just as is said about Neodimium. Can't say I've heard any myself and I've used all types. A properly designed magnet assembly should surely give similar results regardless of magnet material I'd have thought.

Although I do have an 8" pair of the L Cao drivers with Alnico magnets. Thats pretty much in line with my suspicions Geoff. As the basic ceramic version are so cheap it could be worth trying them & if they're any good there's always the alnico option down the line.

Well they are $3.5k so not exactly for the budget conscious - I'm deeply sceptical about their coherent bass claims too.

Have you heard many full range driver systems - they have very specific strengths but equally compromises.

There are sceptics of every Decware product you know ;) A tube amp tech who's opinion I very much respect thinks the "Zen" beneath contempt and nothing more than an effects box. I've owned hundreds of solid state amps & "traditional" low efficiency/multi-way speakers & I'm quite honestly a little bit bored of them now... My experience of high efficiency speakers & valve amps is comparatively limited but its all a fun new learning curve for me.

Barry
11-08-2014, 22:52
.... Do you feel there's any benefit in using Alnico magnets ? £100 premium is quite a jump...

This (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?3845-Basics-amp-General-Permanent-Magnets) might be of some interest.

walpurgis
11-08-2014, 22:53
My experience of high efficiency speakers & valve amps is comparatively limited but its all a fun new learning curve for me.

Results, obviously are variable, but do tend to be pretty musical. Good, high sensitivity, full range drivers paired with decent Class A amps definitely seem to have some magic about them.

Ninanina
11-08-2014, 23:00
James I think if you are starting off with about 1-3 watts of clean SET amp, and you don't wish to spend a fortune OR want to build your own speakers I would STILL recommend a Klipsch

I have had loads of speakers pass by my system; i've just counted up 12 different speakers but I am sure there are at least another couple in there somewhere... so lets say 14 pairs of speaker... the ones I would own twice are the following:

1) Klipsch La Scalas, if I could fit them into the room they are quite simply SUPERB... and I am sure the mighty K'Horn would be the same, but MORE SO

2) Klipsch Heresy's, my current speaker... and the ONLY speaker I have owned twice as I owned a pair in the past too (shouldn't have sold them!!)

3) Quad ESL's... 57's/63's

If you just want a sensitive speaker that needs only 1w of GOOD amp output then it has to be one of the Klipsch speakers...

I should point out that at one time I had about £22k worth of Audio Note equipment in my front room; AN Pre/Power Amp, AN CD, AN Dac, AN speakers and £1000's of AN cables, but I STILL decided on the AN Oto with either Klipsch La Scalas (which would not fit in my front room !!) or Heresys that did fit perfectly...with quite ordinary cables at the time..

If you decide to try a Klipsch and you don't like it then just blame it on me...... :eek:

I have also heard these ACTUAL speakers and they sound superb.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Klipsch-KG-4-5-Horn-Speakers-for-Valve-Amps-/251588460419?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3a93d73f83

I hope some of that may help you.... :)

Ninanina
11-08-2014, 23:15
James this is all WELL off topic.... sorry about that

Maybe we should move this to a more suitable heading... !!!

istari_knight
12-08-2014, 00:20
Not to worry Bev its been enlightening :)

I shall have a cheeky bid on the Heresy's but dont expect to win them for a second, looking at past sales they'll likely reach around £500.

Ninanina
12-08-2014, 02:46
Not to worry Bev its been enlightening :)

I shall have a cheeky bid on the Heresy's but dont expect to win them for a second, looking at past sales they'll likely reach around £500.

You never know you might be lucky with the Heresys.... even with your cheeky bid... they are certainly heavy to post so I think the ebayer is being very reasonable...

Bare in mind a NEW pair of Heresy III's would cost about £1,500, not cheap and I don't think they have done anything magical between the MK II's or III's.. !!!

I happen to think that at £500'ish there is nothing to touch them, and I should know as I've had about 14 different pairs of speakers over the many years i've been 'into' hifi and the Heresys are a speaker i've owned twice... to be honest they are the ONLY speaker iv'e owned twice..

The ONLY other speakers I've owned that I would own again (apart from the obvious Heresy) is a pair of Quad ESL's.... or Klipsch La Scalas .... if I had the right room, which I don't..

However you don't need to worry too much about the placement of a set of Heresys.... plonk them on the floor and 'there you go'... I have 'tweaked' the placement a bit to improve them....but it's not totally necessary.... they seem really unfussy about placement....

Klipsch rule as far as I'm concerned...

Ninanina
12-08-2014, 02:49
Also as an aside... Don't be fooled by eBay sales of MK II Heresys...

I've just seen a pair that was advertised as a MKII but they were definitely a MK I and VERY OLD...

Let me know if you see a pair you are interested in and I'll take a look to make sure they are 'AS ADVERTISED'... No problem...

istari_knight
12-08-2014, 20:25
Thanks again Bev, alas those on eBay have gone above my budget so I'll be investigating some DIY options for now.

Just so folks know... THE SONY CDP/AMP/TUNER ARE STILL AVAILABLE :D

Macca
13-08-2014, 07:58
Does the amp have the Gibraltar Chassis James?

istari_knight
13-08-2014, 09:43
Does the amp have the Gibraltar Chassis James?

It certainly does Martin, same as your old TA-N55ES.

It also has "Spontaneous Twn Drive" which is Sony marketing BS for a separately powered/regulated front end/input stage :eyebrows:

istari_knight
13-08-2014, 12:16
Amp + tuner now definitely sold :)

istari_knight
22-08-2014, 15:19
CD player is still available...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3863/14813088469_c4075918a9_z.jpg