PDA

View Full Version : M-DAC random crackling noise

daws0n
06-08-2014, 21:04
I recently bought a used M-DAC over on hifi wigwam. Things did not start off very well, as it arrived with a broken USB port (black block between pins is loose and will not stay in place so it's very fragile and not really usable as-is).

The seller is a dealer and had it as a trade in. Seems like an honest chap and offered me a generous discount to cover the quoted cost of repair with audiolab which I accepted. So in the meantime, I have unboxed it again and plugged it into my system via toslink (I did test it on receipt, but only briefly).

It's been playing all evening and sounds very good - however I have suddenly experienced some nasty distortion/crackling out of one of the speaker! Never ever happened before with my other DAC, and a quick google shows I am not the only one who has had such problems with an M-DAC (I have even some across a post where some nasty white noise emitted from one blew a tweeter!).

Can anyone who has experienced this issue please comment? Any ideas what can cause this? I would love to keep it, but I am beginning to think a straight forward return/refund would of been better

struth
06-08-2014, 21:29
sounds like it has taken a dunt on the back...may have either damaged or misaligned the toslink socket...probably an easyish fix, but would need to go back to the maker i'd guess

daws0n
06-08-2014, 21:51
Toslink sockets are fine, it's just the USB one that was broken. The designer John Westlake has kindly suggested a A.08 firmware and enabling D3E suppression on the settings page -fingers crossed the issue is now resolved.

struth
06-08-2014, 21:57
here's hoping;)

technobear
09-08-2014, 21:33
Yes, a firmware update is what is required :)

Don't forget to select one of the 'Optimal Transient' filters ;)

daws0n
09-08-2014, 21:42
Hi Chris, long time no see - time has flown by since that bake off! How's things?

All seems OK with it now, great DAC :) The headphone amp is very good too.

technobear
10-08-2014, 10:28
Hi Dawson,

Yeah, it's been a while. Still in the same place? I am. Still got the same car too.

The M-DAC is a great bit of kit. I still have my CDQ here and that is great too. There is however a new toy at technobear towers that is threatening to steal the CDQ's crown. Which reminds me, I must change my signature here.

daws0n
22-09-2014, 10:37
Hey Chris yes I'm still at the same place mate, same speakers and the same wheels too!

Really liking the m-dac but I might be selling it on if nobody wants my other dac...

How's things? I should host another bake off some time, it was a fun afternoon