PDA

View Full Version : Forum Thread Delay. (Feedback, NOT Complaint)

DaveK
21-07-2009, 16:36
Hi to all involved,
You are probably already well aware but just in case you're not: -
I have my forum profile set to e-mail me when any threads that I have contributed to are updated. I have noticed that, after my e-mail system advises me that a thread has been updated, it takes between 5 and 10 minutes for the updated thread to actually appear on the forum - curious, at least for me. :scratch:
Cheers,

DaveK
07-08-2009, 22:36
Hello, is there anyone out there?
This is still happening - can anyone tell me why - just curious.
Cheers,

The Vinyl Adventure
07-08-2009, 22:43
well i didnt know that was possible, iragardless of delay

Beechwoods
08-08-2009, 05:09
I must admit I've not done any tests or examined this much. My experience is that posts appear on the forum immediately they are made, and so I'm not sure how the email notifications could occur any earlier than this. I'd have thought that the opposite would be true, in that the system will submit email notifications into a queue for sending that may not be actioned in real time, but once every few minutes.

I'll turn on the email notifications for myself for a while, see what's happening, and report back...

DaveK
23-08-2009, 10:26
I'd have thought that the opposite would be true, in that the system will submit email notifications into a queue for sending that may not be actioned in real time, but once every few minutes.

I'll turn on the email notifications for myself for a while, see what's happening, and report back...

Hi Nick,
I think I've solved the mystery. I'm not very technical so I'll try and explain in my own words. It appears that once a member hits the Submit Message button the post goes into a sort of 'pigeon hole' for approval by the censor/arbiter. This action appears to trigger the automatic e-mail notification that tells the recipient and thread subscribers that there is a posting of interest to them. If the censor/arbiter approves the post the system moves the post onto the forum, but if the censor/arbiter is not happy with the post it is deleted at that point, so the intended recipient gets the e-mail notification but doesn't ever see the intended post. The time delay is to enable the censor/arbiter to do his job.
Cheers,

Steve Toy
23-08-2009, 12:05
You are not under such moderation. Your posts will appear immediately you hit send.

DaveK
23-08-2009, 12:46
You are not under such moderation. Your posts will appear immediately you hit send.

Sincerely Steve, I do not doubt your integrity in posting this for one moment but .....
How do you explain me getting an e-mail notification about a post which never subsequently appeared (example available) and frequent ocassions when, having received e-mail notification of a posting, more or less immediate hitting of the forum New Posts button shows no such post, though they (usually :) ) do appear a short while later?
I am genuinely interested in this phenomenon if it does not involve human action.
Cheers,

Marco
23-08-2009, 12:58
Hi Dave,

I've got no idea what's happening, as I'm not the technical boffin here, but what I can categorically guarantee is that you are *not* being moderated.

Marco.

DaveK
23-08-2009, 14:43
Hi Marco,
In response I would refer you to my response to Steve's similar posting, word for word in it's entirety - no aspersions being cast about your sincerity.
Just in case there is any doubts, confusion or misunderstanding, I am not inferring that my posts are being moderated since our recent little spats - the delay has been noticeable for much much longer than that - see my original post on this thread.
Cheers,
PS
I've just noticed the heading of this section: -
Critics Corner Feedback and suggestions from our valued members.
Does this mean that feedback and suggestions from non-valued members are not invited? :scratch: :lol: .

Beechwoods
23-08-2009, 16:23
Dave - I'd also like to assure you that your posts are automatic, just like everyone elses. We do not 'approve' posts before they appear on the forum.

I've not had the time recently to monitor in detail the situation you describe for myself, by setting my own account to subscribe to all threads. I very much think it's down to the fact that system resources are rationed to perform certain activities in less than real time.

I do know that if you perform the same search multiple times within a short time of each other, the system refers to a cache (or short-term memory) of the last similar search. Try pressing 'New Posts' repeatedly, and watch the address in your browser window. This will end with something like searchid=225422. The searchid number is an incremental number assigned to each new distinct database query. Repeatedly clicking 'New Posts' does not automatically increment the searchid number meaning the system is repeating the same search to identify 'New Posts'. After a period of time, or a backend update, it will change the search (the searchid number will then change) and a proper 'new' result will be returned. This behaviour is designed to limit the impact on the server processor of multiple searches very close together.

This could well be causing the delay in seeing New Posts on the forum that you've seen.

I hope that this helps.

Alex_UK
23-08-2009, 22:56
Sincerely Steve, I do not doubt your integrity in posting this for one moment but .....
How do you explain me getting an e-mail notification about a post which never subsequently appeared (example available) and frequent ocassions when, having received e-mail notification of a posting, more or less immediate hitting of the forum New Posts button shows no such post, though they (usually :) ) do appear a short while later?
I am genuinely interested in this phenomenon if it does not involve human action.
Cheers,

Dave, I have never seen what you are referring to, on this (or other forums that use the same "engine") - normally, you would only receive email notifications about "subscribed threads" once a day (around 7am in my case for AOS) and the post appears immediately. Maybe you have changed your Defaults? Check under "User CP" > "Edit Options" and scroll down to "Messaging & Notification". In the second "box" - "Default Thread Subscription Mode" what is the drop-down value set to? The default is "Daily Email Notification" which produces the behaviour described above. My suspicion is that this has been changed to "Instant Email Notification" - try putting it back (if I'm right) and see if that gets rid of the apparent "delay". Might be a wild goose chase, but worth a look.