PDA

View Full Version : Cropredy 2014

DanJennings
05-08-2014, 17:23
Anyone going this year?

I'm setting off tomorrow, bit of a strange lineup this year, but still should be good:

Thursday 7 August
The Waterboys
Steve Hackett - Genesis Extended
Capercaillie
Joe Broughton's Conservatoire Folk Ensemble
Fairport Acoustic Convention

Friday 8 August
The Australian Pink Floyd Show
Chas & Dave
The Wonder Stuff
The Travelling Band
Churchfitters
Ben Folke Thomas
Edwina Hayes
Deborah Rose
BBC Radio 2 Young Folk Musicians of the Year

Saturday 9 August
Fairport Convention
Al Stewart
Marillion
Cara Dillon
Treetop Flyers
Reg Meuross
Blackbeard's Tea Party
Richard Digance

Decided to be brave and we are camping this year, so it's guaranteed to piss down!

Marco
05-08-2014, 17:50
Never heard of it before, Dan! What exactly is it, mate? Another music festival? :)

Marco.

DanJennings
05-08-2014, 18:11
Yeah, it's the biggest folk festival in the country - About 20000 people. It's in a village called Cropredy, near Banbury in Oxfordshire.

It's run by the band Fairport Convention and it's been going since 1976.

Folk bands and great beer, I've been going for a few years now

Marco
05-08-2014, 18:45
Sounds excellent! Pity, it's so far away...... :rolleyes:

Marco.

johnB
05-08-2014, 21:24
Yeah, it's the biggest folk festival in the country - About 20000 people. It's in a village called Cropredy, near Banbury in Oxfordshire.

It's run by the band Fairport Convention and it's been going since 1976.

Folk bands and great beer, I've been going for a few years now
I've always fancied giving Cropredy a go but never got round to it Dan......hopefully not full of people on camping chairs ( my pet festival hate). Have a good one and enjoy Mike Scott.
John

DanJennings
06-08-2014, 12:09
hopefully not full of people on camping chairs ( my pet festival hate).

I fear you would be disappointed! I'll report back, but there have been loads in previous years.

chris@panteg
07-08-2014, 07:16
Yes there is a lot of camping chairs, but a lot of the festival goers are getting on a bit, many original fairporters you see, but it's a wonderful and friendly festival, with some great moments over the years, not going this year but a mate is.

There is an excellent fringe music festival going on, at Brasenose Inn in Cropredy, which is free and adds to the enjoyment, have a great festival Dan.

DanJennings
12-08-2014, 18:36
Yup there were loads.

Had a great time though. Big highlights for me were:
Steve Hackett (full 30 minute version of Supper's Ready),
Joe Broughton's Conservatoire Folk Ensemble - 40+ young folk musicians going wild. Great fun.
The Wonder Stuff - just hit after hit, great performance and their fiddle player is rather easy on the eye!
Chas & Dave - obviously
Blackbeard's Teaparty - Great piratey funky folk music, great reimaginings of folk songs, there guys are going places. And their fiddle player is rather easy on the eye!
Al Stewart - An unexpected treat, thought I only knew a couple of his songs, but I knew quite a few, and he seems like an all round nice guy.