PDA

View Full Version : Graham Slee "Elevator EXP" ???

Qwin
01-08-2014, 19:33
Anyone got or heard this step up device?

I have seen glowing reviews claiming only the very best and many times the price SUT's can better it.

Considering a change in my system - Maybe a Croft Micro 25 pre/phono with the Elevator for LOMC.

I would prefer an owners opinion rather than a comercial review so has anyone used one?

Stratmangler
01-08-2014, 19:55
Join the GSP forum.
They have a loan programme, so you can get to use one in your own system.
They're a good bunch of guys over there too.

Qwin
01-08-2014, 20:04
Thanks for the tip Chris.

mike1210
02-08-2014, 12:16
Have one myself which I oddly use with a Trichord Dino. Like the sound of it with the Dino so got a Reflex M on loan to try. Did not like that combo at all. Sounded "bitty" like a processed CD.

Much preferred the Reflex M with a Budgie Step up that I have. Much more warm likeable sound.

Good loading options on the Elevator as well.

IIRC you may be able to loan on the Graham slee forums

Stratmangler
02-08-2014, 12:21
Have one myself which I oddly use with a Trichord Dino. Like the sound of it with the Dino so got a Reflex M on loan to try. Did not like that combo at all. Sounded "bitty" like a processed CD.

Much preferred the Reflex M with a Budgie Step up that I have. Much more warm likeable sound.

Good loading options on the Elevator as well.

IIRC you may be able to loan on the Graham slee forums

Which cart are you running Mike?

mike1210
02-08-2014, 12:58
Denon DL103r with matched voltages. Jelco 750 arm and Oyaide head shell with extra weight.

Stratmangler
02-08-2014, 13:08
Interesting that you didn't like the Elevator with the Reflex.
Did you have them both powered with the PSU1 ?

mike1210
02-08-2014, 17:17
Yep both PSU1's. I liked the mid-range but thought bass was light and it sounded flat and too much like a CD.

It arguably sounded clearer than the Dino, but I listen mainly to dance music and like a warm punchy sound.

Bass on the Dino I find can be a bit loose but was far better than the Slee combo. Using a Budgie Step up though and the Slee Reflex M I thought it sounded very good but still not enough Bass. Much warmer sound that on long listens would be much more enjoyable.

This is Budgie I have:

http://www.parksaudiollc.com/budgiesut.html

Budgie needs to be carefully positioned I found as it does pick up hum very easily, something I've heard SUT's do unless you take care with this.

mike1210
02-08-2014, 17:23
Just to add great loan system on the forum though. You just pay postage so it worked out at about £14 for around 2 week lend. Love my Ultra-Linear Slee headphone amp though which I recently upgrade to Diamond edition using the DIY kit.

CageyH
02-08-2014, 21:29
Did you notice a big difference with the Diamond edition?

mike1210
02-08-2014, 21:33
Did you notice a big difference with the Diamond edition?

Yes it was worth it for basically, the hiss on the older Ultra Linear model is gone. Sound stage because of this is far clearer. With my Denon AH-D7000 headphones it sounds great.

Stratmangler
02-08-2014, 21:56
Yep both PSU1's. I liked the mid-range but thought bass was light and it sounded flat and too much like a CD.

It arguably sounded clearer than the Dino, but I listen mainly to dance music and like a warm punchy sound.

Bass on the Dino I find can be a bit loose but was far better than the Slee combo. Using a Budgie Step up though and the Slee Reflex M I thought it sounded very good but still not enough Bass. Much warmer sound that on long listens would be much more enjoyable.

This is Budgie I have:

http://www.parksaudiollc.com/budgiesut.html

Budgie needs to be carefully positioned I found as it does pick up hum very easily, something I've heard SUT's do unless you take care with this.

My experience of the Reflex is that it pointed out where my TT setup needed adjustment.
Initially things sounded a bit in yer face and slightly fizzy, but a bit of gentle adjustment brought a luvverly presentation.
I ended up lowering the tonearm pillar by 3 or 4 Business card's thickness (I think it was 3) and from there things took off.
The Reflex is a very matter of fact device, but I think I've got mine working to the best of its capabilities within my setup.

rubber duck
02-08-2014, 22:02
Considering a change in my system - Maybe a Croft Micro 25 pre/phono with the Elevator for LOMC.

Ken, some dealers offer the Croft with a money back deal so you only pay postage. Well worth a try. If money's tight, there's the 25 Basic which is also very good.

Qwin
03-08-2014, 07:34
"some dealers offer the Croft with a money back deal" - Intresting.

I noticed a used Micro Basic on Fleabay this week, duno if it's still available.

I would really like the Micro 25 or 25R. Spoke to Glen at Croft by email and all his amps are available with a single volume pot to special order, which is the way I am thinking of going.

I like the cartridge loading feature on the Slee Elevator, though the options are limited and typicaly the loading I am presently using is between settings.

I was keen to know how folks would compare it to their experience with an SUT ?

The GSP forum loaner scheme will be worth a try when I get that far.

Just picked up this cheap power amp as a temporary pairing for the intended Croft Pre:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?33609-Cambridge-Audio-A75-in-the-House

rubber duck
03-08-2014, 17:11
I would really like the Micro 25 or 25R. Spoke to Glen at Croft by email and all his amps are available with a single volume pot to special order, which is the way I am thinking of going.

Don't underestimate the 25 Basic. The 25 is better in most areas but the Basic has a sense of verve or life I find missing from the 25. And for the asking price, it really is a no brainer; as Marco says, it's a high quality phono stage with a free preamp thrown in.

As for the twin volume pots, well there's good reason why Glenn does this, and you'd be surprised how quickly you get used to it. For me I now find two mono pots essential, offering much more control and consistency over a single stereo pot.

twotone
03-08-2014, 20:43
I had a croft micro basic pre-amp with phono stage built in and absolutely hated the dual volume pots so I sold the amp.

If you are anyway like me all you will do is constantly change the volume pots to try to get them equal, drove me nuts in the end.

Qwin
03-08-2014, 22:37
Had seperate volume pots on another amp and that drove me crazy so I know the Croft would do the same.

I change volume a lot, for most albums or CD's, as I find the level on the recordings varies so much.

As far as I am aware the only reason for the seperate pots is because a twin pot is usually not perfectly matched between the two channels. Where as the seperate pots can be manually matched at what ever volume setting you require, so they are also a balance control.

The thing is, if you don't adjust seperate pots accurately, your probably going to be further out than any miss match between channels on a dual pot any way. From what I've read the Croft pots need only a small movement to attain a lot of volume so manual (acurate) matching is going to be tricky.

There are good reasons why Glen provides seperate controls, but there are also good reasons why all of his amps are available with a single control if you want it. :D

I read in "another place" were Glen was being quoted as saying the 25 was the best value in the range for the performance it delivers. - don't know if the quote is accurate. Someone else reviewed it against the 25R and said there was not a great deal of difference in performance and the 25 was under priced. This is where my interest in the 25 model comes from.