PDA

View Full Version : Audio Al's bake-off

Audio Al
22-11-2013, 23:32
I have been thinking about this for some months now

I keep seeing various bakeoffs normally up north

I have not seen any Clubs?

Would anyone from London / Essex be up for a monthly meeting at the same venue , to be arranged ,

Each member could then bring his kit along in turn , we all sit and listen ( bring some tunes with you ) maybe 2 systems per meeting

To get a decent venue with toilets and a kitchen for drinks will involve a cost so a payment per person per meeting will be required for the day

All early thought

If it happens it wont be till next year now

Anyone interested please let me know :)

Macca
22-11-2013, 23:41
I can get down to London pretty easily so I would be up for this although the more central London the venue the better.

synsei
22-11-2013, 23:45
Every couple of months might be a better bet Al, you'll have a more of a chance that each meeting will be busy. I found this when I ran a fantasy gaming club years ago. Initially I ran it monthly but turn out wasn't that great so I changed it to bi-monthly and attendance picked up considerably, the benefit being I was able to reduce the entrance fee ;)

loo
22-11-2013, 23:47
Hi Al,
sounds like a great idea and something I would deffo be up for:thumbsup:
Paul

Audio Al
23-11-2013, 00:10
I can get down to London pretty easily so I would be up for this although the more central London the venue the better.

Cheers Martin

:)

Audio Al
23-11-2013, 00:11
Hi Al,
sounds like a great idea and something I would deffo be up for:thumbsup:
Paul

OK Paul , noted

Audio Al
23-11-2013, 00:11
Every couple of months might be a better bet Al, you'll have a more of a chance that each meeting will be busy. I found this when I ran a fantasy gaming club years ago. Initially I ran it monthly but turn out wasn't that great so I changed it to bi-monthly and attendance picked up considerably, the benefit being I was able to reduce the entrance fee ;)

Thanks for the suggestion Dave

Barry
23-11-2013, 01:27
Yes I might be interested, but there is no way I could transport a complete system. Maybe a TT/arm/cartridge or CD source, or a preamp.

Audio Al
23-11-2013, 04:04
Yes I might be interested, but there is no way I could transport a complete system. Maybe a TT/arm/cartridge or CD source, or a preamp.

Thats good news then Barry ,
we can sort the details when it is established we have enough interest to proceed

Allen

Oldpinkman
23-11-2013, 12:10
Interested in principle Al
Particularly every 2 months rather than monthly
The devil lies in 2 details - No1 where? I don't associate London with being able to park a car to unload HiFi (that may be my straw in the hair, yokel prejudices)

No2 - where. I guess there's no way round it, but the sort of systems I like (and you, and Barry) with ESL57's rarely sound any good in a hotel room. In my "Proper" PT days I did a few hotel rooms, and they were fine for beaming at the punters, and letting them put sticky paws over dem kit, but rarely (particularly Heathrow) did you get a half-decent sound. (Best I enjoyed was a hotel near West Kingsdown, with an all Linn setup including my most hated speaker the Isobarik. But that sort of swimmy lush unfocused sound was perfect for wandering round a big room picking at olives and peanuts).

But interested certainly. M25 from M1 to Dartford Tunnel would be fine.

Macca
23-11-2013, 12:32
Maybe best to start it as a one -off bake off and see how it goes. if people enjoy it they will be back for more. This seems to be working with the North-East bake offs.

Agree car parking is an issue - There are a lot of crappy private hotels in central London may be possible to rent a room in one - if it is an old place with ground floor room should be possible to get a decent sound going and some of these places have car parking facilities.

John
23-11-2013, 12:58
I know a old scout house in Ruslip that is in a car park and would be cheap but might be a bit far for people
I am interested too We have the Scottish Mafia and North East bake off so why not the London and South east posse
I think the hardest bit will be finding a suitable venue. Also cost will be a factor for me
I do not mind bringing some gear along but not the speakers they are to awkward

The Grand Wazoo
23-11-2013, 13:02
The speakers thing will be a problem common to a lot of people, I'd think.
The club could do with a set of smallish good 'uns as a known reference point for each meeting.

chelsea
23-11-2013, 13:41
Why not take it in turns round peoples houses?

Audio Al
23-11-2013, 20:06
OK

A quick head count

AudioAl ( Me )
Macca ( Martin )
Loo ( Paul )
Barry ( Barry )
Oldpinkman ( Richard )
John ( John )

If I have missed anyone please SHOUT OUT

Re location , I have several small halls local too me in Dagenham with Parking

I am not sure holding this at someones home would work , I have very little space :D lots of kit though :eyebrows:

Re speakers , I have a good selection Quad 57s, Quad 63s, JBL L1's, Ram 100's, Ram150's, Ram200's, Tannoys
B&W DM110's, DM110i's , Mordaent Short etc

We will need more than 6 people ;)

Oldpinkman
23-11-2013, 20:25
Dagenham is good for me - although hardly central. I audited may & baker, and have taken my son to karate tournaments there. I think martin is right - organise one event and if its a success follow up on that. Its only day 2- 6 is not a bad start. Be careful taking esl63s to an event, they might get pinched! ;)

Macca
23-11-2013, 20:41
How easy is it to get from Euston to Dagenham?

Audio Al
23-11-2013, 20:43
Dagenham is good for me - although hardly central.

Dagenham is between London and Essex ;) and on the M25 doorstep

Macca
23-11-2013, 20:47
LOL I know where it is but as I will be on the train I was wondering if it's possible to get a train straight from London Euston to Dagenham.

chelsea
23-11-2013, 20:52
Guessing you would need to get from Euston to Liverpool st.

Audio Al
23-11-2013, 20:59
LOL I know where it is but as I will be on the train I was wondering if it's possible to get a train straight from London Euston to Dagenham.

The district line has 2 stations in Dagenham

Macca
23-11-2013, 21:03
Well if it's on the Tube then that's easy enough. Won't be lugging any heavy kit with me though :)

Mus
23-11-2013, 21:05

I think you need to change once. Much better than the underground though, that drags you all over town.

Regards

Mus

Alex_UK
23-11-2013, 21:07
Depending on when I'd really like to attend the first one - I agree that making it a 'pilot' would be sensible, see how it goes and arrange more if it works out. I think bringing a whole system might be a challenge, but I'm sure we can cobble something together (with the RAMs we could surprise a few people, Al. :))

Roy S
23-11-2013, 21:08
If the venues are anywhere near the 174 Bus route Al I'll bring the beer (and drink it all meself :D)

Audio Al
23-11-2013, 21:14
If the venues are anywhere near the 174 Bus route Al I'll bring the beer (and drink it all meself :D)

Church elm lane area Roy ;)

Roy S
23-11-2013, 21:18
Church elm lane area Roy ;)

Can do that Al, not far from Heathway.

Audio Al
23-11-2013, 21:24
I agree that making it a 'pilot' would be sensible

We have to start somewhere :)

I will add you to the list Alex

Audio Al
23-11-2013, 21:26
Can do that Al, not far from Heathway.

If we get past event one , I could always pick you and your kit up Roy when its your turn ;)

Audio Al
23-11-2013, 21:30
Revised head count

OK

A quick head count

AudioAl ( Me )
Macca ( Martin )
Loo ( Paul )
Barry ( Barry )
Oldpinkman ( Richard )
John ( John )
Roy ( Roy )
Alex ( Alex )

Looks like we have enough for over one year if its bi monthly :D

Roy S
23-11-2013, 21:34
If we get past event one , I could always pick you and your kit up Roy when its your turn ;)

Very kind offer Al, cheers.

loo
23-11-2013, 22:00
Well Done Al :clapclapclap:
seems there were quite a few of us just waiting for someone to ask.
Dagenham would be great for me and I would also be more than willing to help out with local transportation
thanks again for speaking up :cool:
Paul

John
24-11-2013, 01:34
I up for Dagenham
I do not mind giving anyone a lift from NW London

jandl100
24-11-2013, 08:55
Nice idea :thumbsup:, but wrong side of the country for me. :( - best of luck with it!

NRG
24-11-2013, 09:34
Bi-monthly is far too often IMHO. On Audio-Talk we get together or try to twice a year for a DIY meet, this is just about the right period of time...its keeps ideas and interests fresh...its well attended but there are always drop outs. With just a few of you and a bi-monthly schedule you'll end up with very few attending after the initial enthusiasm dies down IMHO.

Audio Al
24-11-2013, 10:13
Bi-monthly is far too often IMHO. On Audio-Talk we get together or try to twice a year for a DIY meet, this is just about the right period of time...its keeps ideas and interests fresh...its well attended but there are always drop outs. With just a few of you and a bi-monthly schedule you'll end up with very few attending after the initial enthusiasm dies down IMHO.

We are the ESSEX MASSIVE :D:lol::D

Audio Al
24-11-2013, 10:15
but wrong side of the country for me

Well you could move , :doh: no commitment :lol:

John
24-11-2013, 10:32
I think we get a better sense of how often we meet after the first meet

jandl100
24-11-2013, 10:37
Well you could move , :doh: no commitment :lol:

Yeah, well, I have got a new place recently - but that's even further away. :doh:
If only you'd told me before ...

NRG
24-11-2013, 12:21

:D Yeah, but, you're not actually, there's a small group on AT who can claim that! ;)

Oldpinkman
24-11-2013, 16:15

Hey - steady. I'm a Man of Kent. I'm married to an Essex girl which is handy, because when we want to make love with the lights on she leaves the car door open.

The cost in white handbags and stillettos though would buy a very decent HiFi! :ner:

User211
24-11-2013, 16:58

Maybe - but the west IS the best. We don't listen to anything less than MBLs, tip top Apogees and Reference Fidelios round here...:finger::lol:

Floyddroid
25-11-2013, 22:26
Go for it. I started one many years ago called Hifi Heretics and it was great. We became great comrades and it was really socially rewarding. Just do it!

Thing Fish
25-11-2013, 22:51
Unless they are in central London (W1) or south I cannot attend due to work commitments.

So I suspect you will never see me on this forum. Although I have attended many other forum meets in that area.

walpurgis
25-11-2013, 23:55
Maybe - but the west IS the best. We don't listen to anything less than MBLs, tip top Apogees and Reference Fidelios round here...:finger::lol:

Are you suggesting that my SP25, Amstrad amp and Wharfedale Dentons won't cut it? :)

synsei
26-11-2013, 02:06
Are you suggesting that my SP25, Amstrad amp and Wharfedale Dentons won't cut it? :)

Replace the Amstrad with a Sony TA73 and I owned that system for a while in the late 70's :)

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/3846dd01-3b73-4251-9655-93b11dd66a43.jpg (http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/Sgtgrash/media/Hifi%20Stuff/3846dd01-3b73-4251-9655-93b11dd66a43.jpg.html)