PDA

View Full Version : Analogue Tape Mastering Service

Lodgesound
26-07-2014, 19:06
Hi All;

After extensive testing and machine rebuilding I am now in a position to offer what is technically a "backup" service of music that you own on quarter inch audio tape.

The results that can be obtained from analogue audio tape are well known to the members of this forum who own machines able to replay and record this format.

Domestic and semi professional machines designed for home use produce outstanding results when replaying tape masters - where these machines lack however is in the ability to make a truly high-end recording of master quality attainable by studio machines.

This is where this service comes in. It is a complete experiment (cleared a while ago with Marco) and basically provides magnetic tape copies on open reel of music that you own mastered and tailored for tape replay on your machine.

I can provide half track stereo recordings on quarter inch audio tape mastered on Studer and Sony studio recorders.

The recordings can be made from files or CD's but let me stress that you MUST have bought and own the recordings as this is essentially a backup service onto an analogue carrier.

I use a Nagra D/A convertor for the process.

The cost is £50.00 per album or compilation PLUS tape stock. I align my machines to any stock that is provided and to each particular tape. I can supply new blank quarter inch stock at £70.00 for a 10.5 inch reel.

As I say this is just an experiment to feel / gauge interest.

PM or reply if interested.

Marco
27-07-2014, 07:49
This is a wonderful idea, Stewart, and a service which I hope is taken up by many AoS members. I've moved your thread to the music room, where I think the subject is most appropriate, and made it into a 'sticky'.

Good luck! :cool:

Marco.

PaulStewart
17-11-2014, 02:44
This is where this service comes in. It is a complete experiment (cleared a while ago with Marco) and basically provides magnetic tape copies on open reel of music that you own mastered and tailored for tape replay on your machine.

I can provide half track stereo recordings on quarter inch audio tape mastered on Studer and Sony studio recorders.

The recordings can be made from files or CD's but let me stress that you MUST have bought and own the recordings as this is essentially a backup service onto an analogue carrier.

Sorry to say this Stewart, but if you charge to make a copy of copyright music, even if it is a backup for someone who has purchased the CD, LP or file, then an MCPS payment is due on the process of making that copy. If that copy is not licenced and paid for it is a criminal offence. We make a lot of transfers, normally the other way round, i.e. from master tape to files and we can only do this without "mechanicals" being paid, if it is done for the copyright owner.

Best regards