PDA

View Full Version : Airplay

Jonboy
25-07-2014, 17:36
Does anyone else on here use airplay , I have it on my Yamaha Av amp at home which all the kids use and is very good, my dilemma now is that I have set up a system at my girlfriends house ( she is very amenable ) which consists of my Audio Note Zero system mono blocks, M1 pre and Az 2 speakers, I'm running a caiman dac and SB touch along with a Arcam cd 72 for music sources.

This all works well but I find the Spotify ap on Ipeng very clunky and much prefer the Spotify ap on the iPad or iPhone , now I am looking at getting a device to plug straight into the dac that supports Airplay without resorting to having to buy a Arcam Airdac or simular , other things that I have seen and used in the past including an Airport express but only have a 3.5 jack plug connection.

So does anyone use anything or know of anything out there that will give me reasonable sound quality from either my iPad or phone through a dac or have phono out puts to go straight into the pre ?:scratch:

Getgaff
26-07-2014, 06:49
Apple TV?

I too found the iPeng Spotify app rather poor and recently discovered the iPad app was far superior. I bought an Apple TV3 and connect it to my Bushmaster MKII using the optical output. Very happy with the SQ and the flexibility of the app itself.

You could probably find a used Apple TV3 for around £50-£60.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv12/Getgaff/2f79fec861aba801198a042bed2ee865_zpsfa2dfe21.jpg

StanleyB
26-07-2014, 11:35
I have experimented with phones and laptops that have a bluetooth connection, which I assume the iPhone has, and have come up with the following:
Use something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-YBA11-BLUETOOTH-WIRELESS-AUDIO-RECEIVER-/121378481997?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Ca bles_Adapters&hash=item1c42b8a74d to set up a Bluetooth wireless link between phone or laptop to one of my DACs. The Yamaha YBA11 coax output goes to the coax input of the DAC. The YBA11 needs a 5V power source. I use the 5V USB socket on the Ankaka battery.
You don't need airplay specifically. Once you set up the YBA11 as your sound device, you are all ready to go.

Jonboy
27-07-2014, 10:45
Thanks Gareth and Stan for the replies ,
I have bought a Apple TV which I'm pleased with, the decision was based on that I want to use it with a hd projector to stream films and music eventually , I had a good chat with a feller down at my local solutions apple shop and am now looking at a Airplay / wireless hard drive to go with the Apple TV .

technology sure moves on at a pace. :eek:

Now i need to decide on a projector.... Has anyone tried some of these cheap Chinese ones or shall I just go for a half decent one ... Just not sure I can justify the outlay for the amount of use it will get :scratch:

webby
01-08-2014, 21:02
The airport express' 3.5mm jack port is also an optical port so it will take a toslink cable into the dac, if the dac supports that of course.

r100
01-08-2014, 23:14
and you can get a second hand AEX for very little :) on ebay or elsewhere. BTW first gen AEX's apparently have the best test results. See this link. (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/466-measurements-first-and-second-generation-apple-airport-express/). You can have multiple AEX's in your house and switch very easily between them. At the moment, it is the cheapest multi room solution AFAIKS. To get the best sound, use the optical out (toslink) to a DAC and from there to your (pre)amplifier