PDA

View Full Version : Starter / temporary DACS...

RockAddict
20-07-2014, 09:19
:wave: Given the rarefied heights some members' systems reach (yes, I am insanely jealous :) ), this post may be a bit out of place. But, I thought that a) we, presumably, all like music and b) we all start somewhere and have to work to our budgets. Oh, and I thought this *could* help someone with budget limits and/or stuck in "ditherland" wondering which DAC to get in exchange for their valuable cash.

When originally joining AoS, the idea was to trawl for info and advice about DACs. However, the realisation quickly dawned that for all the responses, however well intentioned, there was just no substitute for first hand listening.

The DAC search started when I treated myself to a Cocktail Audio X10 (CD player, storage, streamer thingy). Yes, it has an onboard DAC and amp but, even if that combo produced a decent sound, it would require a pair of dedicated speakers or a switching unit of some kind so that I could listen to another source (TV) through the same speakers. In the end, I commenced the search for a DAC.

Initially, I started with a temporary DAC - a £10 cheapy "KanaaN" (plus £5 for a 2-pin to 3-pin plug adaptor). In fact, two KanaaNs; one for the X10, the other for the TV with both being connected to line-ins on my old Arcam A65 integrated amp.

I then tried the Beresford Bushmaster Mk II but, for me, it wasn't quite right (at some point, I WILL find a way of visiting to demo the Caiman II). Then I tried the Musical Fidelity V90. Foolishly, I had fallen into the trap of reading, and relying on, the enormous number of 5* reviews and a couple of amazingly complimentary detailed articles proclaiming the V90 to be the greatest DAC ever, bar very very few at astronomical price levels. :scratch: Er, suffice to say, I found the V90 to be unbelievably disappointing :rolleyes:.

So, I was still reliant upon the KanaaN DACs but, to my ears, the sound was "soft" (although for £10-£15, it's hard to complain!). So, idling through the web, I stumbled across another DAC for the enormous sum of £19.99 (with fitted UK 3-pin plug this time). I took a(nother) punt. To my astonishment, it is a palpable improvement on the KanaaN. Step forward the "WINGPOON" (listed as "WINPOON" on some sites). Perfect? No; I know it's not realistic at that price to get perfection but I sincerely think some will prefer it to the V90. Yesterday, I was listening to, and enjoying, music without constantly thinking about how it sounded in the analytical sense. Occasionally, the WINGPOON creates a metallic edge to some guitar :guitar: & piano :piano: sounds and there is some graininess but, for the most part, it's been pretty well behaved - so far.

For anyone interested, compared to the KanaaN, the WINGPOON has (in my opinion): trebles that are, generally, clearer without being overly bright; mids are about the same, being reasonably well reproduced; bottom end that is tighter and more controlled.

So, for now, my search for a "proper" DAC is on hold although I know that, at some point, I won't be able to resist trying the Caiman II, mentioned above.

The moral(s) of the story?

1) Other posters are absolutely right when advising that ALL reviews are pretty much pointless in the context of "sound". They *may* be helpful if containing objective observations about functionality, connectivity and build quality.

2) Listening first hand is an absolute must*.

3) With DACs, price point really isn't any sort of guide as to how it will sound.

4) If NEEDING a DAC to get up and running, but not sure of which "proper" DAC to get, a cheapy "starter" DAC means you won't feel sick if you hate it - at least not to the same extent as you would having spent considerably more....:o

* I know getting to demos for some isn't easy - same for me. So, if possible, check the returns policy(ies) of the supplier to see if you can try for a couple of days and, if you don't like, return the product (you may have to pay return carriage - depends on the reason for returning).

Happy listening. :comatose:

brian2957
20-07-2014, 09:35
Nice post Kevin . This looks like a handy little starter DAC at a very good price .