PDA

View Full Version : Celestion 66 Studio Monitors in situ, chez-Marco

Marco
19-07-2014, 13:44
Guys,

Plenty of you have seen pictures of my Tannoy Lockwoods, which are my main speakers used upstairs in a fairly small listening room (on the end of the system listed in my signature), but until now I've not shown any pics of my 66s, These are powered from the same system, but used in our (much larger) downstairs lounge, which measures approx 7m x 6m [so contrary to what some think, the Marco-boy doesn't always listen in a 'broom cupboard'] ;):

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/674/55c269.jpg

And this time Mitze pops in to say hello:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/540/986293.jpg

In the summer months, due to my valve amp kicking out huge amounts of heat, this is where all of my listening is done, and much of the time too throughout the rest of the year, especially during the winter when the log fire is on... The Celestions also sound superb in there, and so I'm not missing out much compared with how the Tannoys sound upstairs.

There's nothing more relaxing than sitting back in an atmosphere of total tranquillity, sipping a nice glass of claret, listening to some tunes, whilst the glow of the fire lights up the room, or staring into the flames and listening to the gentle sound of logs crackling... Lurvely! :)

Marco.

synsei
19-07-2014, 14:59
Does a cat sat on top of your speaker help boost the 'Meeeow Factor'? :D

The Black Adder
19-07-2014, 15:14
I thought it was a rather novel supertweeter... :)

Nice Celestions though!

istari_knight
19-07-2014, 15:38
:hairmetal:

... Do you find the Mana worthwhile over the usual castors ?

Marco
19-07-2014, 15:39

Yesh, until she decides to 'water' them in a manner that wasn't authorised... :eek:

Marco.

Marco
19-07-2014, 15:43
:hairmetal:

... Do you find the Mana worthwhile over the usual castors ?

Yes, defintootley!! Mine didn't come with castors, though... The Mana supports do two things:

1) Ensure that I can get the speakers 100% level on our ancient, wobbly floor.
2) Provide extra isolation against the effects of the environment (vibration, both airborne and structural-related).

The cumulative sonic improvement gained from the above is significant :)

Marco.

johnB
19-07-2014, 16:07
As we're showing our Celestion 66s, here are mine in action......4.50pm today playing Mystery Girl by Roy Orbison.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/Jrb1961/imagejpg1_zpsa8409745.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Jrb1961/media/imagejpg1_zpsa8409745.jpg.html)

Marco
19-07-2014, 16:08
Like it, John - good selection of choons there, too! :thumbsup:

Marco.

The Black Adder
19-07-2014, 16:13
+1 nice room, system.

synsei
19-07-2014, 16:15
+2 very nice indeed John :youtheman:

johnB
19-07-2014, 16:24
Like it, John - good selection of choons there, too! :thumbsup:

Marco.
Those are the 12" single choons . These are the proper choons.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/Jrb1961/imagejpg1_zpsea3d34fe.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Jrb1961/media/imagejpg1_zpsea3d34fe.jpg.html)

The Black Adder
19-07-2014, 16:40
Blimey dude!!! - Cool!!

"Now, where is that 'best of black lace' LP?"... hmm!

walpurgis
19-07-2014, 19:47

My pooch is the same black and white and almost similar markings to Marco's cat. He's a 75 pound Lurcher though, so he doesn't sit on speakers.

jonh
19-07-2014, 20:13
Guys,

Plenty of you have seen pictures of my Tannoy Lockwoods; my main speakers which are used upstairs in a fairly small listening room (on the end of the system listed in my signature), but until now I've not shown my 66s, powered from the same system, but used in our (much larger) downstairs lounge, which measures approx 7m x 6m [so the Marco-boy doesn't always listen in a 'broom cupboard'] ;):

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/674/55c269.jpg

And this time Mitze pops in to say hello:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/540/986293.jpg

In the summer months, due to my valve amp kicking out huge amounts of heat, this is where all of my listening is done, and much of the time too throughout the rest of the year, especially during the winter when the log fire is on... The Celestions also sound superb in there, and so I'm not missing out much compared with how the Tannoys sound upstairs.

There's nothing more relaxing than sitting back in an atmosphere of total tranquillity, sipping a nice glass of claret, listening to some tunes, whilst the glow of the fire lights up the room, or staring into the flames and listening to the gentle sound of logs crackling... Lurvely! :)

Marco.

Claret.!
Good tunes.!
Crackling log fire.!
and a GORGEOUS pair of Ditton 66's
Lurvely indeed.
In the 70's the furthest up the Ditton range I got was a nice pair of 44's , but all ways lusted after the 66's.

Barry
19-07-2014, 20:23
My parents used to have a cat called Mitze. She did not sit atop any speaker though. :rolleyes:

Marco
19-07-2014, 20:31
Hi Barry,

It means 'kitten' in German - and of course, Del's family are German :)

Marco.

Marco
19-07-2014, 22:54
Claret.!
Good tunes.!
Crackling log fire.!
and a GORGEOUS pair of Ditton 66's
Lurvely indeed.
In the 70's the furthest up the Ditton range I got was a nice pair of 44's , but all ways lusted after the 66's.

Cheers, Jon! The 66s are fab, and so 'valve friendly', too... They create a huge, effortless, open and very detailed sound, allowing you to hear right into the musical mix, but they're not in any way clinical. Bass has plenty of slam and extension too, with those 12" drivers, augmented by the same sized ABRs, and it's reproduced without a hint of 'flab'!

Btw, I should say that in order to swap between the system driving my Tannoys upstairs, or the 66s downstairs, all I do is swap the speaker cables over on the back of my amp, as I have dedicated cables for both sets of speakers.

It's also a great way of conducting blind testing, as friends can be upstairs swapping cables over, or whatever, without me having a clue what they're doing, and then judging the results downstairs, totally unsighted. The other thing too is that having the speakers in a different room from the electronics means that they're not subjecting the kit to the same amount of vibration that would normally happen if everything was housed in the one room - and you can hear the sonic benefits of that, especially with the turntable :)

Here are a few pics of some of the kit upstairs, driving the 66s....

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/909/501cde.jpg

Close up of my Tube Distinctions Copper valve amp:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/539/f306a8.jpg

Close-up of the T/T:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/673/0eec26.jpg

*Some* of my music collection (since the pic was taken last year, I've probably got about half as much vinyl again and at least another 300 CDs):

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/661/d87c3e.jpg

:cool:

Marco.

chelsea
19-07-2014, 23:02
That pistols lp looks lonely up on it's own.

Marco
20-07-2014, 08:11
Hi Stu,

It's a rare picture disc of Del's that's never been played, so really just there for show! :)

Marco.

The Black Adder
20-07-2014, 08:24
Great collection, Marco.

I could probably fill the top quad section... lol

Del likes the pistols then?... Ace!

Primalsea
20-07-2014, 08:29
I was going to ask how you deal with the sound of the small room in terms of sound absorption, if any, but I imagine all that vinyl helps quite a bit.

Tarzan
20-07-2014, 08:29
As we're showing our Celestion 66s, here are mine in action......4.50pm today playing Mystery Girl by Roy Orbison.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/Jrb1961/imagejpg1_zpsa8409745.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Jrb1961/media/imagejpg1_zpsa8409745.jpg.html)

Very nice set up there John.:eek:

The Barbarian
20-07-2014, 08:33
*Some* of my music collection (since the pic was taken last year, I've probably got about half as much vinyl again and at least another 300 CDs):

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/661/d87c3e.jpg

If you throw those CDee's in the bin {where they deservedly belong} you could get more records in there. Jobs a good un

:eyebrows:

Marco
20-07-2014, 08:38
I was going to ask how you deal with the sound of the small room in terms of sound absorption, if any, but I imagine all that vinyl helps quite a bit.

Indeed it does, Paul - and now there's more on the other side of the room, as I had to buy extra EXPEDIT units from Ikea to handle the overspill! When the original units went in, I noticed a big improvement in how the system sounded up there... It was good before, but now it's really excellent!

Free 'room treatment', eh? :D

Marco.

Marco
20-07-2014, 08:38
If you throw those CDee's in the bin {where they deservedly belong} you could get more records in there. Jobs a good un

:eyebrows:

Now there's an idea!! :eek:

Marco.

Marco
20-07-2014, 08:45
If anyone's interested, this is the view up there from the listening position (yes, I need to get some longer speaker cable, since putting the kit higher up on more Mana :eyebrows:)!:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/536/1f8973.jpg

Oh, and the little white door *isn't* the entrance to the room - that's where Tabatha lives, down in her dungeon... :whippin: :eyebrows:

...and the listening position itself:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/909/1f556d.jpg

Marco.

RichB
20-07-2014, 09:12
Great thread. Lovely systems and nice dedicated listening environments.

My next major project is to convet our old box room into a staircase and get the loft done out for a dedicated space of my own.

Tarzan
20-07-2014, 10:34
Very nice room there Marco, just out of interest what are the room dimensions.:)

User211
20-07-2014, 11:01
You need some colour in your life: Auraglow (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Auraglow-Remote-Controlled-Colour-Changing/dp/B003TXM53K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405849829&sr=8-1&keywords=auraglow+led+colour+lighting). Just slap a couple in the lamps by the door.

The spotlights (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Auraglow-Remote-Controlled-Colour-Changing/dp/B0047TP4CO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405853887&sr=8-3&keywords=auraglow+led+colour+lighting) are a work of genius pointed at Apogee foils. But they seemed to have stopped selling the pointable bases I use.

Audio Al
20-07-2014, 11:57
Marco

Shame the speaker cables are that short ,
A little longer and Del could use them as a indoor washing line in that nice warm room :ner:

Marco
20-07-2014, 12:06
I applaud your lateral thinking!! :D

Marco.

Marco
20-07-2014, 12:13
Very nice room there Marco, just out of interest what are the room dimensions.:)

Hi Andy,

A positively humungous 14.5 X 11 ft... However, you know what they say: good things come in small packages (apart from Al's knob, of course :eyebrows:)

What you have to factor into the equation, as well as size, is that the room has hugely thick walls and solid floors (none of yer paper-thin modern shite), oak beams to help break up reflections, and angular-shaped walls, all of which helps the room 'sound good' - that and the fact that big Tannoys sound best listened to near-field....

It certainly rocks big time in there, I can assure you, when you've got 50W of quality valve power, driving 15" high-efficiency cones inside two HUGE 'wardrobes'!! 'Visceral bass', doesn't even begin to cut it... :eek: :hairmetal:

Marco.

Tarzan
20-07-2014, 14:37
Cool, vintage Tannoy is an itch l may have to scratch at some point-just wondered what size rooms they work in etc.:)

walpurgis
20-07-2014, 15:39
Cool, vintage Tannoy is an itch l may have to scratch at some point-just wondered what size rooms they work in etc.:)

Depends which big Tannoys you have in mind Andy. My Cheviot II speakers are in a room only 11ft by 10ft and work a treat. By the way if you spot a pair of Cheviot IIs, I recommend them. I find them very superior to the earlier HPD 315A Cheviot (and Devon). The Cheviot II have the ceramic magnet 3128 drivers (also used in the rare Balmoral) and sound superb, they are amongst the best sounding Tannoys I've heard and I have listened to most (and owned many). If you're ever over this way, drop by for a listen.

Tarzan
20-07-2014, 16:28
Depends which big Tannoys you have in mind Andy. My Cheviot II speakers are in a room only 11ft by 10ft and work a treat. By the way if you spot a pair of Cheviot IIs, I recommend them. I find them very superior to the earlier HPD 315A Cheviot (and Devon). The Cheviot II have the ceramic magnet 3128 drivers (also used in the rare Balmoral) and sound superb, they are amongst the best sounding Tannoys I've heard and I have listened to most (and owned many). If you're ever over this way, drop by for a listen.

Thanks for the kind offer Geoff, l have borrowed AudioAl's Tannoy Precision 6 monitor, which sports a Dual Concentric driver and super tweeter and l will be able to get a handle on them, sound nice they do a very easy listen..:)

walpurgis
20-07-2014, 16:45
Do you know that the dual magnet Tulip Waveguide models sound rather different to the compression driver Pepperpot types. Both designs have something going for them and can sound very nice (if you choose carefully).

The Barbarian
20-07-2014, 17:35
Marco:
How wide is that wall behind the speakers?

Marco
20-07-2014, 17:39
Do you mean the Tannoys, dude? If so, it's 11ft :)

Marco.

The Barbarian
20-07-2014, 17:47
yes 11ft! um i can only afford 9ft stretch.

Get those walls painted orange.. I just bought some Doolux 'Morrocan Flame' perfect colour match to the Quad '33'/'FM3'

:D

Room colours play trick on you, it's all psychological loike. A light room will feel cold uncomfortable, a warm room is cosy makes you feel good hence relax more..

Marco
20-07-2014, 18:18
Room colours play trick on you, it's all psychological loike. A light room will feel cold uncomfortable, a warm room is cosy makes you feel good hence relax more..

I completely agree with that, dude, which is why we always have a 'cosy vibe' going on in any room of our house.

One thing I can't stand is bright artificial light (strip lights and so forth :spew: ) - for me they have no place in a home! Subtle, subdued lighting is the way to go, or spotlights 'strategically trained' on certain areas of the room. Love vintage Anglepoise lamps, too!

Morrocan Flame, eh? I might give that a go, as like you, I have a bit of an '70s orange' fetish :eyebrows:

Marco.

Macca
20-07-2014, 18:41
, as like you, I have a bit of an '70s orange' fetish :eyebrows:

As does any real man.

Your room does look pretty 'womb-like' already though, Marco. I also can't be doing with bright indoor lights. Like Andre says it is psychological, I relax much better in dim lighting conditions. A single tiny LED spotlamp facing the wall will do for me.

Marco
20-07-2014, 19:14
Lol - I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet, dude! :respect:

We're big on having nice candles lit, too....

Marco.

Macca
20-07-2014, 19:23
Candles a bit too sophisticated for me. Plus combine them with alcohol, absent mindedness and living alone and you have a great recipe for a fire-related disaster. I could go for the lava lamp though.

Marco
20-07-2014, 19:30
I getcha - what about incense sticks? We dig those as well. Nice aroma too, if you've run out of ganja.... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Macca
20-07-2014, 19:37
I used to be into incense sticks in a big way but when I moved to this house I burnt everyone I had trying to get rid of the smell of dog. Didn't work so in the end I had to replace the carpets. Never really though about getting any more in. They are a lot better than those awful squirty air freshener plug in things: 'I'd like to pay good money to have my house smell like a hospital ward.' - No thanks.

The Barbarian
20-07-2014, 19:47
Lava Lamps i got three of those Got some Old Hall candle holder anorl.. Sticks have to be 'Poucouli' made by Spiritual sky :peace:

Here's what i use on the dinner table for mi Tea tree candles. Everything i use is vintage :D

http://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/old_hall_candle_stick_holder/ac001a175

Marco
20-07-2014, 20:13
Sticks have to be 'Poucouli' made by Spiritual sky :peace:

Lol - snap!! :D

Marco.

jandl100
31-07-2014, 07:46
This thread makes me sigh a bit - back in my speaker boxswapping days I was about to snap up a pair of Celestion 66. I'd fancied having some for ages and decent pairs were available then for £300 - yes, the time had come, I was literally going to phone the dealer that day!
I was too late for that pair, but as I was looking around to buy another pair, one of those quantum shifts in prices came along and the going rate doubled overnight to £600. :doh:
I just couldn't bring myself to pony up the extra dosh. :( I've always kind of regretted that.

petrat
31-07-2014, 11:49
- that and the fact that big Tannoys sound best listened to near-field....

Marco, I'm glad you said that! That's the first time I've ever read someone confirming my impressions. I've got mine in a small, irregular shaped, concrete-floored room in preference to a 40 foot long, wooden floorboard living room.

Are those the Celestions that were in the AoS room at Scalford a few years back? It was my first visit to that show, and had never heard of this forum until I walked into the room ... made a big impression.

dantheman91
31-07-2014, 14:23
Fond memories of the 66's as my dad used to have a pair up until 2008 when he sold them to HI-FI House. My dad originally bought them from the tip for £5 back in the days where you could indeed buy loads of HI-FI from W&S stuff like thorens , Garrard , Kef , Leak , Quad ETC this was for a time part of a business but then they stopped selling electrical gear in about 2004 / 5 sad days :(. Stuff indeed made quite good money even then depending on what you picked up. Still even now gutted to see a pair of Tannoy IIILZ's sitting there one time in lovely condition but the wouldn't sell them to us because they were on hold for someone who worked there at the time they ended up on eBay :doh:.

337alant
08-08-2014, 07:48
WOW great systems there Marco they look excellent

Alan

Marco
08-08-2014, 11:16
This thread makes me sigh a bit - back in my speaker boxswapping days I was about to snap up a pair of Celestion 66. I'd fancied having some for ages and decent pairs were available then for £300 - yes, the time had come, I was literally going to phone the dealer that day!
I was too late for that pair, but as I was looking around to buy another pair, one of those quantum shifts in prices came along and the going rate doubled overnight to £600. :doh:
I just couldn't bring myself to pony up the extra dosh. :( I've always kind of regretted that.

Listening to them right now as I type this (playing some Miles Davis on vinyl), I can totally understand your sentiments. It shocks me how good they sound, even when in completely stock form, and at just how musically right the designers got them, nearly 40 years ago! :eek:

Even in stock form, I'd quite happily put them up against today's commercial floorstanding designs at anything up to £4k, perhaps more.

Marco.

Marco
08-08-2014, 11:24
Hi Peter,

Marco, I'm glad you said that! That's the first time I've ever read someone confirming my impressions. I've got mine in a small, irregular shaped, concrete-floored room in preference to a 40 foot long, wooden floorboard living room.

As is often said, it's QUALITY that matters most, not quantity - and so good things often come in small packages ;)

Are those the Celestions that were in the AoS room at Scalford a few years back? It was my first visit to that show, and had never heard of this forum until I walked into the room ... made a big impression.

Yes they are, and cheers! Room acoustics aside (which one can only ever make the best of in a hotel), the system really gelled that day :)

Marco.

Marco
08-08-2014, 11:25
WOW great systems there Marco they look excellent

Thanks, Alan. You'll see (and hear) some of it on Saturday :cool:

Marco.