PDA

View Full Version : My current set up.

jonh
18-07-2014, 12:46
This is my current set up showing :
Srm Tech Arezzo turntable with Rega RB300 arm and Goldring Eroica cartridge.
Naim CDX and CDPS CD player.
Impulse Lali speakers.
And my current pride and joy a TRIODE TRV 845SE Integrated valve amp. which is by far and away the best amp. that I have ever owned. Quite expensive and very rare in the UK but I picked this one up second hand recently for a very good price.

jollyfix
18-07-2014, 12:52
Nice Jonathan, please tell me about your speakers, thanks for sharing.

synsei
18-07-2014, 13:04
What a lovely system, I particularly appreciate the care taken to arrange the gear in the rack so it not only works well but looks really cool too. Bet it sounds wonderful ;)

Marco
18-07-2014, 13:22
Lovely system, Jonathan, so thanks for sharing! It's an excellent example of incorporating a top-notch system as best as possible into a communal living space :)

Just one thing, if you can get hold of some extra-large oak cone feet (or similar) and pop them between your CDS and CDPS PSU, you should get a nice sonic upgrade, as Naim CDPs hate being placed on top of PSUs containing large transformers (as is the case inside the CDPS), so you need to try and separate both boxes somehow.

Other than that, enjoy! :cool:

Marco.

jonh
18-07-2014, 17:29
Lovely system, Jonathan, so thanks for sharing! It's an excellent example of incorporating a top-notch system as best as possible into a communal living space :)

Just one thing, if you can get hold of some extra-large oak cone feet (or similar) and pop them between your CDS and CDPS PSU, you should get a nice sonic upgrade, as Naim CDPs hate being placed on top of PSUs containing large transformers (as is the case inside the CDPS), so you need to try and separate both boxes somehow.

Other than that, enjoy! :cool:

Marco.

Marco,
Many thanks for your comments but a 'THOUSAND' thanks for your tip about separating my Naim CDP from the CDPS. As soon as I read your post I knew that you were right as many years ago I remember reading the very same comment about Naim CD players and their power supplies , the stupid thing is I knew this but failed to put it into practice in my own system :doh: !
Any way after a quick reshuffle of the system components I have managed to put a good 30 cms. between the CDP and its power supply and low and behold just as you predicted I have been rewarded with a significant sonic improvement. Wonderful result :)
Such a simple tuning tip, but isn't it usually the case that its getting the simple things right that often makes the most difference. The really great thing is that the only cost has been 10 minutes and using a modicum of [ your ] common sense !
Thanks once again for the advice Marco, I knew it would be worthwhile joining the AOS Forum :)
Jon.

struth
18-07-2014, 17:36
Very stylish Johnathan, amp looks great, as do the speakers.....not so sure about the arezzo though:lol: ....

only joking; the srm's are fabulous decks....:eyebrows:

The Barbarian
18-07-2014, 17:41

I heard Impulse speakers at an Audio show in Derbyshire when they first came out. I have to say i was impressed with them

Marco
18-07-2014, 18:27
Marco,
Many thanks for your comments but a 'THOUSAND' thanks for your tip about separating my Naim CDP from the CDPS. As soon as I read your post I knew that you were right as many years ago I remember reading the very same comment about Naim CD players and their power supplies , the stupid thing is I knew this but failed to put it into practice in my own system :doh: !
Any way after a quick reshuffle of the system components I have managed to put a good 30 cms. between the CDP and its power supply and low and behold just as you predicted I have been rewarded with a significant sonic improvement. Wonderful result :)
Such a simple tuning tip, but isn't it usually the case that its getting the simple things right that often makes the most difference. The really great thing is that the only cost has been 10 minutes and using a modicum of [ your ] common sense !
Thanks once again for the advice Marco, I knew it would be worthwhile joining the AOS Forum :)
Jon.

Nice one, Jon - always glad to help and great to hear when a tip pays off, especially a free one! :eyebrows:

Enjoy your new sounds, and also enjoy the forum!

Marco.

jonh
18-07-2014, 18:31

Hi Dave,
To answer your request for more info. about the Impulse Lali's. I have only had them for about a month and bought them from Rick E who is also a member of AOS [ Rick is a really top bloke to deal with by the way ]
The Lali's must be quite rare now being a design from the mid 1990's. Impulse were famous for their horn designs and although the Lali is not a true horn speaker it does share the Ipulse house sound with their other larger designs like the famous H2 for instance. Its a fairly compact floor stander with a seas 6.5" main driver and a Focal tweeter in each cabinet with a quarter wave type loading for the bass Mine are in really good condition for their age and have the superior gloss finish solid wood baffles. They are an efficient speaker and are quite happy with 20 watts of valve power to drive them. The sound would best be described as very natural and unforced with strong bass output for their size, overall a very musical speaker and they do look rather pretty in an old fashioned sort of way, in my opinion.
Cheers.
Jon.

macvisual
18-07-2014, 20:36
Lovely looking hi-fi setup Jonathan.

Liking that wood-stove in your lounge, what make is it ? and what's the kw heat output please ?

Regards;
Pete

jonh
19-07-2014, 07:00
[QUOTE=macvisual;566718]Lovely looking hi-fi setup Jonathan.

Liking that wood-stove in your lounge, what make is it ? and what's the kw heat output please ?

Regards;
Pete[/QUOTE

Peter,
Although the stove is built to look like a wood burner it is actually a gas living flame type log effect stove.
The make is DOVRE and it is the 425 model from their range. It has a max. 6.4 kw output.
Cheers.
Jon.

Lee Henley
19-07-2014, 10:49
Nice looking system, bet that amp sounds sublime

jollyfix
19-07-2014, 19:51
Hi Dave,
To answer your request for more info. about the Impulse Lali's. I have only had them for about a month and bought them from Rick E who is also a member of AOS [ Rick is a really top bloke to deal with by the way ]
The Lali's must be quite rare now being a design from the mid 1990's. Impulse were famous for their horn designs and although the Lali is not a true horn speaker it does share the Ipulse house sound with their other larger designs like the famous H2 for instance. Its a fairly compact floor stander with a seas 6.5" main driver and a Focal tweeter in each cabinet with a quarter wave type loading for the bass Mine are in really good condition for their age and have the superior gloss finish solid wood baffles. They are an efficient speaker and are quite happy with 20 watts of valve power to drive them. The sound would best be described as very natural and unforced with strong bass output for their size, overall a very musical speaker and they do look rather pretty in an old fashioned sort of way, in my opinion.
Cheers.
Jon.

Thanks for that Jon.

Idlewithnodrive
26-07-2014, 19:42
Lovely room and rig there John.

I agree with you that the Lali's are pretty special.

lonergan2468
27-07-2014, 09:41
Did u get the turntable through E bay ?...I was considering one of them once, I think the company wer selling through E bay....

lonergan2468
27-07-2014, 09:43
I love these. I have a wall mounted dimplex. Basically it is flame effect using water and a mister......lovely to relax to, and of course spinning a record....

lonergan2468
28-07-2014, 21:02
nice

killie99
29-07-2014, 07:18
'Jollyfix' - All you ever wanted or needed to know about Impulse speakers can be found here~ (http://www.acoustica.org.uk/)

jonh
29-07-2014, 22:08
'Jollyfix' - All you ever wanted or needed to know about Impulse speakers can be found here~ (http://www.acoustica.org.uk/)

Thanks very much for the link Stuart - good stuff .

jonh
29-07-2014, 22:15
Did u get the turntable through E bay ?...I was considering one of them once, I think the company wer selling through E bay....

Hi Tim,
Yes , I saw the SRM Tech listing on ebay a few years ago and telephoned them , placed an order and drove down the A1 to collect the turntable from their premises . This was about 8 years ago now. Lovely looking and sounding record deck and much underrated imo.
Cheers.
Jon.