PDA

View Full Version : Motor speed controller

Jimbo
17-07-2014, 13:47
Anyone using a Motor speed controller with their turntable currently and if so can they make recommendations regarding its effectiveness in improving SQ?

Qwin
17-07-2014, 21:04
I used a Pro-ject Speed Box SE II with my Pro-Ject RPM9 deck prior to canabalising the deck for my Technics SL-1200 project.

It gave slightly more authority to the sound and rock steady timing but was not a massive improvement. Its main advantage was you could change speed electronically 33/45 by pressing a button on the unit rather than having to slip the belt on to a different pully. You could also adjust the speed +/- about 10% if I remember correctly, which was shown on the digital display but I only played with this first time out of the box and never touched it again.

Like all improvements, you will have to way up the cost against the gain. I would suggest that the better the deck, the less noticeable the improvement would be as it will be pretty stable to start with.

What do you think of the Phono stage in your Micro25R? Possibly going that route myself.

The Barbarian
17-07-2014, 21:34
Anyone using a Motor speed controller with their turntable currently and if so can they make recommendations regarding its effectiveness in improving SQ?

As in Pulse Width Modulator {PWM} ?

Jimbo
18-07-2014, 08:00
I used a Pro-ject Speed Box SE II with my Pro-Ject RPM9 deck prior to canabalising the deck for my Technics SL-1200 project.

It gave slightly more authority to the sound and rock steady timing but was not a massive improvement. Its main advantage was you could change speed electronically 33/45 by pressing a button on the unit rather than having to slip the belt on to a different pully. You could also adjust the speed +/- about 10% if I remember correctly, which was shown on the digital display but I only played with this first time out of the box and never touched it again.

Like all improvements, you will have to way up the cost against the gain. I would suggest that the better the deck, the less noticeable the improvement would be as it will be pretty stable to start with.

What do you think of the Phono stage in your Micro25R? Possibly going that route myself.

Thanks for the info Ken, I think as you said it would be marginal gains for the cost involved.

The Croft Micro 25R is a superb pre amp because of the phono stage which is where its real strength lies.

I have changed the tubes a few times to get the exact sound i like and have settled with NOS Tesla's.

The Phono stage gives the music a vivid, live and powerful presence in the room. It does create that illusion of believability of performers and instruments playing live, at least on my system and with good recordings.

Qwin
18-07-2014, 08:19
Jimbo - Thanks for the reply on the Croft.

Sorry to be off topic again, but the 2m Black is also on my radar. How do you find it copes with surface noise and minor ticks on 2nd hand records (most of mine)? I have a Goldring 1042 with an exotic fine line stylus and it is horrible in this respect, picking up every defect and highlighting it. My Denon DL-301 II (LOMC) does the opposite and ignores a tremendous amount of this stuff while still sounding quite detailed and dynamic.

I allways prefere owners impressions to commercial reviews. ;)

Jimbo
18-07-2014, 08:38
Hi Ken,
The 2M Black is a bit heaven and hell. It does highlight clicks and pops unfortunately but is also a fabulous detailed live sounding cartridge with superb detail and imaging.

I just have to ignore the surface noise :-(

I must also say my room is a bit live and doesn't help the acoustics.

The combination of the Croft and 2M black can be truly stunning. Pity you are not a bit nearer as you would be welcome to come and have a listen.