PDA

View Full Version : Beresford ASYNCH-1 USB CONVERTER

StanleyB
14-07-2014, 12:52
I have now taken delivery of my latest product which is a USB to SPDIF converter. Based on the CM6631A, which is the most up to date asynch USB chip from any manufacturer, you can expect it to out perform the older USB chips that have been on the market for the past couple of years.
I have started work on the web pages relating to this new product, so don't expect to see anything on my websites till the end of this week.

Price is provisionally set at a very competitive 80 delivered, or 70 for AoS members.

You can easily pay three or more times that amount for a USB converter that uses an older generation USB chip. So save yourself the money and get an ASYNCH-1 instead.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/images/DAC/asynch-1%20900.jpg

synsei
14-07-2014, 13:01
Hi Stan, that's neat looking unit sir :)

potatoha
14-07-2014, 13:31
Hi Stan,
I wonder if it can be used with SB Touch's usb out and does it come in different colours?

StanleyB
14-07-2014, 14:48
Hi Stan,
I wonder if it can be used with SB Touch's usb out and does it come in different colours?
I don't have any driver or app that will make it work on the Touch. I only have Windows drivers at this moment in time.
It only comes in one colour: gold. What's wrong with a bit of bling :)?

wee tee cee
14-07-2014, 15:28
Stan,
What power supply does it take? Just wondering if I could run it off my 12v battery set up. Also is it 2.1mm centre positive?
Cheers Tony.

potatoha
14-07-2014, 15:35
I don't have any driver or app that will make it work on the Touch. I only have Windows drivers at this moment in time.
It only comes in one colour: gold. What's wrong with a bit of bling :)?

Bling is cool but gold ain't my bling :eyebrows: Can it operate in USB Audio class 1.0 spec driverless? If so, what's the max bit depth and sample rate can it do in USB 1.0 standard operation? 16/48?

StanleyB
14-07-2014, 15:46
I can get it to work at 16/44.1 on the Touch, and it will work at 16/44/1 without drivers even on a MAC. I haven't tried 48 yet.

potatoha
14-07-2014, 16:19
I can get it to work at 16/44.1 on the Touch, and it will work at 16/44/1 without drivers even on a MAC. I haven't tried 48 yet.
Coolio. What outputs does it have?

StanleyB
14-07-2014, 18:29
The usual suspects: TOSLINK and coax.

Ammonite Audio
14-07-2014, 19:26
Does it support ASIO?

StanleyB
14-07-2014, 19:35
It supports ASIO, WASAPI, etc.
I am using my Caiman II with one of them. I haven't heard USB sound any better than that yet. My M2Tech and V-Link couldn't hold a candle to it, so they have been moved on.

struth
14-07-2014, 20:06
does it come with a psu or is that extra?

....looks good by way...

StanleyB
14-07-2014, 20:32
It is USB powered, or you can use an external power supply for the best level of noise rejection.
I don't ship a power supply with it since it doesn't need a power supply to operate.

struth
14-07-2014, 20:45
I see...if thats a usb "B" connector then I could likely use my aqvox psu with it.:eyebrows:

potatoha
14-07-2014, 20:47
It is USB powered, or you can use an external power supply for the best level of noise rejection.
I don't ship a power supply with it since it doesn't need a power supply to operate.
Can you use data only usb cable if you use 5v battery or external psu with it then?

StanleyB
14-07-2014, 21:18
Of course.

TAD12
15-07-2014, 18:06
Dear Stan,

Looks like another good 'un.

Please put one by for me.

Many thanks,

T12:)

brian2957
15-07-2014, 18:09
Can this be powered from a 12V battery Stan.?

Lee Henley
15-07-2014, 19:25
Looks an interesting unit Stan, what sample rates does it support?

StanleyB
15-07-2014, 20:09
Can this be powered from a 12V battery Stan.?
I haven't tried a 12V supply, only a 5V one.

brian2957
15-07-2014, 20:14
Thanks Stan .

StanleyB
15-07-2014, 20:22
Looks an interesting unit Stan, what sample rates does it support?
Default Sample Rates: 44.1K/48K/88.2K/96K/176.4K/192KHz (192K/176.4KHz are available only in USB Audio Class 2.0/High-speed mode)
Supported Bit Length: 16/24/32 bit

I am trying to complete the instructions and putting the drivers on my website, before putting up the relevant web pages. But if anyone is willing to give the ASYNCH-1 a try before it is up on my site, just PM me. I have stock ready for dispatch.

I am actually looking for a beta tester with a Windows PC and a MAC using OSX 10.5 or better, who has some spare time he/she can devote on testing a Windows and MAC version of the ASYNCH-1. PM me if you are that person. I don't have a working MAC ( the kids saw to that..) so I can't check the ASYNCH-1 for full sampling rate compatibility with a MAC. Out of interest, which USB converters on the market are MAC compatible?

Lee Henley
15-07-2014, 20:35
Hi Stan

Thanks for the info on the sample rates, it looks an interesting device, as for convertors from what I can gather they are pretty much all Mac friendly.

f your looking for a beta tester on a mac then Id be wiling to help you out, Im currently using a HiFace 2 with a Mac Mini using Audirvana and Amarra 3.0 into a Bel Canto Dac 2.5 which supports all the bit rates you have mentioned

Lee

Default Sample Rates: 44.1K/48K/88.2K/96K/176.4K/192KHz (192K/176.4KHz are available only in USB Audio Class 2.0/High-speed mode)
Supported Bit Length: 16/24/32 bit

I am trying to complete the instructions and putting the drivers on my website, before putting up the relevant web pages. But if anyone is willing to give the ASYNCH-1 a try before it is up on my site, just PM me. I have stock ready for dispatch.

I am actually looking for a beta tester with a Windows PC and a MAC using OSX 10.5 or better, who has some spare time he/she can devote on testing a Windows and MAC version of the ASYNCH-1. PM me if you are that person. I don't have a working MAC ( the kids saw to that..) so I can't check the ASYNCH-1 for full sampling rate compatibility with a MAC. Out of interest, which USB converters on the market are MAC compatible?

potatoha
15-07-2014, 21:21
Most XMOS based models work driverless under Linux and Mac OSX 10.6.4+, as they natively support asynch USB Audio Class 2.0 (UAC2). Only the Microsoft OS require third party drivers such as ASIO, as MS doesn't have plans to support UAC2 yet.

StanleyB
15-07-2014, 22:25
Hi Stan

Thanks for the info on the sample rates, it looks an interesting device, as for convertors from what I can gather they are pretty much all Mac friendly.
Absolutely true in an ideal world situation. But the original designer of the ASYNCH-1 made the circuit backwards compatible with USB1.1 for use with a PC. Unfortunately that fools the MAC into thinking that it is a USB1.1 device, and that then defaults to 16/44.1. So I made a change to a MAC/PC version that bypasses the problem.

If your looking for a beta tester on a mac then Id be wiling to help you out, Im currently using a HiFace 2 with a Mac Mini using Audirvana and Amarra 3.0 into a Bel Canto Dac 2.5 which supports all the bit rates you have mentioned

I got a few PMs awaiting reply on this. S o out of politeness, let me go through each offer of help :). Thanks in advance for volunteering.

Lee Henley
16-07-2014, 06:38
OK Stan, no worries mate, drop me a PM if you need my help

Lee

Absolutely true in an ideal world situation. But the original designer of the ASYNCH-1 made the circuit backwards compatible with USB1.1 for use with a PC. Unfortunately that fools the MAC into thinking that it is a USB1.1 device, and that then defaults to 16/44.1. So I made a change to a MAC/PC version that bypasses the problem.

I got a few PMs awaiting reply on this. S o out of politeness, let me go through each offer of help :). Thanks in advance for volunteering.

StanleyB
16-07-2014, 08:49
Hi Stan,
I wonder if it can be used with SB Touch's usb out?

Important information correction:
The ASYNCH-1 does work with the Touch all the way up to 192kHz when the EDO app is installed.

struth
16-07-2014, 15:03
I will likely have one when a wndows driver is available Stan

StanleyB
16-07-2014, 15:21
I will likely have one when a wndows driver is available Stan
The Windows drivers are already available :). I just need to finish the download page. But if you need to look at them just PM me and I shall email you the direct web address on my web site.

struth
16-07-2014, 20:27
Just let me know when everything is up and running Stan and I will get the ball rolling on a purchase. the old vista machine is a bit shakey these days but I hope it will start run with it connected. it was a bit dodgy with the hrt. certainly worth a try at the price I think.

Gazjam
16-07-2014, 21:14
PM sent Stan.

RichB
16-07-2014, 22:35
Important information correction:
The ASYNCH-1 does work with the Touch all the way up to 192kHz when the EDO app is installed.

Is that with or without the USB hub as recommended when using EDO? I know the vlinkII needed a hub but the vlink192 didnt.

StanleyB
16-07-2014, 23:00
Is that with or without the USB hub as recommended when using EDO? I know the vlinkII needed a hub but the vlink192 didnt.
You have to connect the Touch directly to the ASYNCH-1 if you really want USB2.0 performance.

brainz2000
18-07-2014, 00:45
Is this the USB interface in the Caiman 2? If so I presume it would be good for a Bushmaster ...
How much are they?
Tim

StanleyB
25-07-2014, 08:36
Is this the USB interface in the Caiman 2? If so I presume it would be good for a Bushmaster ...
How much are they?
Tim
It's more advanced than the one in the Caiman II. Yes it will work with the Bushmaster.
Price delivered is around 67.19

This item is now in stock and shipping.

http://www.beresford.me/images/clipart/btn_buynow.gif (http://www.beresford.me/PP/USB_to_SPDIF_Converter.html)

struth
25-07-2014, 08:45
....and very good they are too...:eyebrows:

Lee Henley
25-07-2014, 18:18
Are you still looking for Mac OS Testers Stan?

StanleyB
28-07-2014, 08:31
Are you still looking for Mac OS Testers Stan?
I have had zero results with the MAC version via the USB3 port. I am waiting for the tester to send back the converter so that I can have it checked on a USB2.0 port on a MAC. Has your MAC got USB2.0, or is it USB3.0 only?
The Windows version works a treat, except that one person can't get it to work with MQN (whatever that is).

Gazjam
28-07-2014, 14:39
Have one for testing on Windows platform.
Compatibility testing on several software players and a couple of different Dacs.

Have a 5V linear supply I use for SSD's in server builds, will be comparing USB power vs direct linear power.
Should be interesting.

Post up when Ive had a chance to sit down, busy next couple of days.

John
28-07-2014, 14:49
MQn is a free software (its updated on regalar basis with ongoing community support) that's a bit like Jplay but I much prefer it over Jplay which to my ears is adding something unpleasent to the sound. A very minimal player that is not for everyone but in terms of SQ I not heard better on a notebook

Gazjam
28-07-2014, 15:26
I'll give it a whirl John.
Didn't get on with it last time I tried but will again.

If the guys behind it made it a playback engine that works with several players...that'd be a good way forward I reckon.

Lee Henley
28-07-2014, 16:43
I have had zero results with the MAC version via the USB3 port. I am waiting for the tester to send back the converter so that I can have it checked on a USB2.0 port on a MAC. Has your MAC got USB2.0, or is it USB3.0 only?
The Windows version works a treat, except that one person can't get it to work with MQN (whatever that is).

Hi Stan

I have USB 2.0, hope this helps you, drop me a PM if you want for me to do some testing

Lee

brian2957
30-07-2014, 08:27
I'm listening to one of Stans ASYNCH-1 USB converters as I type this . Gary ( gazjam ) brought it over to my gaff yesterday . I use a music server into a Rega DAC and use the USB input into the DAC . I've tried a couple of USB converters in the past including thd MF V-Link and always went back to the USB input on the Rega and I've always been happy with it. That was until yesterday when we plugged Stans little converter into my system . Don't know how you do it Stan but this little box of tricks has provided me with a substantial improvement in SQ . I'm getting the relaxed sound I love with the USB input of the Rega but with very audible improvements in all areas of the sound . more detail , better dynamics , bass is deeper and tighter . voices sound more natural and the top end is also more natural sounding . All in all the music just sounds cleaner and more ' real 'and I'm just drawn into the music even more than I was before .
When Gary lifted the box to pack the ASYNCH-1 away I told him he would have to fight me to remove it from my system :lol: ony kiddin :)
For the price this little box of tricks is a steal IMO and I have no reservations in recommending it to any computer audio users out there . I've still got the ASYNCH-1 in my system BTW and it's staying there. Nice one Stan .

struth
30-07-2014, 12:08
Yep superb unit...alas I got mine b4 Boxes came out though doubt it will be going anywhere. It is running into my DAC zero very successfully

StanleyB
30-07-2014, 12:33
Yep superb unit...alas I got mine b4 Boxes came out though doubt it will be going anywhere. It is running into my DAC zero very successfully
I can post you the empty box if you need it :).

brian2957
30-07-2014, 12:41
You can have mine Grant as I won't be needing it :) . Gary only brought the ASYNCH-1 over to my place so I could have a listen and he couldn't get it back off me :lol:

struth
30-07-2014, 12:50
Thanks Brian and Stan but as brian says I doubt I'll need it either. Currently belting out N Simons Kodachrome and it sounds terrific.

Canetoad
31-07-2014, 00:03
Did you use it with or without a separate psu Brian?

brian2957
31-07-2014, 09:17
Used mostly without Bernie . Gary had a PSU with him and I believe there was a slight improvement in SQ . The ASYNCH-1 is excellent without the PSU mate . The USB implementation must be very good indeed. This will be staying in my system , just more of everything compared to the USB input of the Rega DAC .

synsei
11-08-2014, 12:17
My PC's mobo has a coaxial digi out socket which I employ to connect it to my Rega, would there be a gain in SQ to be had using an ASYNCH? Things sound very good as they stand so I'd be reluctant to part with any cash unless there is likely to be a significant improvement.

StanleyB
11-08-2014, 16:26
My PC's mobo has a coaxial digi out socket which I employ to connect it to my Rega, would there be a gain in SQ to be had using an ASYNCH? Things sound very good as they stand so I'd be reluctant to part with any cash unless there is likely to be a significant improvement.
If it ain't broke, ...

Gazjam
12-08-2014, 22:18
If it ain't broke, ...

That said...
Motherboard SPDIF output is prone to electrical mush from elsewhere in the computer and imo isn't the last word in digital output from your FLAC files.

USB by its very nature is better.
I'd always go with this than Motherboard digital out.

Stans USB /Spdif converter is better than the MF Vlink 192 I had in my own system by a considerable margin.
This is purely from a subjective "well if it sounds better...." perspective.

I know the digital theory, but my ears decide whats better for me and Stans USB box is the best USB/SPDIF link you'll get shy of a grand.

Tim
12-08-2014, 22:39
That said...
Motherboard SPDIF output is prone to electrical mush from elsewhere in the computer and imo isn't the last word in digital output from your FLAC files.

USB by its very nature is better.
I'd always go with this than Motherboard digital out.What he said ;)

Might have to try one of these myself Stan, do you just need a PM?

StanleyB
13-08-2014, 07:36
Might have to try one of these myself Stan, do you just need a PM?
You can also get it directly from my website at: http://www.beresford.me/PP/cartview.html?id=27
They are moving fast. So I might have either priced it far too low, or people who would not otherwise have tried a USB converter due to the high price of the good ones, are now giving the far more affordable ASYNCH-1 a try.

Tim
13-08-2014, 08:33
You can also get it directly from my website at: http://www.beresford.me/PP/cartview.html?id=27
Thanks Stan, just bought one :)

Been looking for one of these at the moment funnily enough, I used to have MF V-Link and V-DAC but moved them on, so this will be interesting. I have a linear PSU which has differing power tips so I'll try it with and without auxiliary power.

simon e
13-08-2014, 09:42
Stans USB /Spdif converter is better than the MF Vlink 192 I had in my own system by a considerable margin.
This is purely from a subjective "well if it sounds better...." perspective.

I know the digital theory, but my ears decide whats better for me and Stans USB box is the best USB/SPDIF link you'll get shy of a grand.

Gary how does Stans box compare to the USB input on your young dac?

Gazjam
13-08-2014, 15:18
Gary how does Stans box compare to the USB input on your young dac?

Wasn't able to compare Simon, I run Windows Server 2012 on my server and theres no compatible driver for the Async yet.
Not Stans fault btw :)

When theres an 8.1 compatible driver it MIGHT work with a workaround on Server 2012.
My mate Brian's got one, will bribe him with tea n biscuits when a driver becomes available. :)

What I can say is that it sounds better than the Rega Dac USB input.

Tim
13-08-2014, 15:40
When theres an 8.1 compatible driver . . .
Oh, does this not work with Windows 8.1?

Assumed as Stan was advertising a Windows driver, it was a 'Windows' driver and not version specific :scratch:

StanleyB
13-08-2014, 16:01
The W8 drivers works on W8.1 as far as I know. A couple of W8.1 users have reported no problem.
You have to follow the unzip and x32 or x64 folder access options that I described in the instructions. Don't try to click on the generic setup.exe file in the first folder. That setup.exe routine doesn't always recognize if the machine is running Windows in 32 or 64 bit mode.

Gazjam
13-08-2014, 16:14
The W8 drivers works on W8.1 as far as I know. A couple of W8.1 users have reported no problem.
You have to follow the unzip and x32 or x64 folder access options that I described in the instructions. Don't try to click on the generic setup.exe file in the first folder. That setup.exe routine doesn't always recognize if the machine is running Windows in 32 or 64 bit mode.

That's good info Stan, sure folks on 8.1 will find that useful.

Darren Cotter
28-08-2014, 16:59
Hi Guys

Just received my Asynch-1, but won't be able to test it until tomorrow. Where can you get the ASIO driver from?

Regards

Darren

StanleyB
28-08-2014, 19:17
Where can you get the ASIO driver from?

The drivers and instructions are at http://www.homehifi.co.uk/products/ASYNCH_acc.html

Darren Cotter
28-08-2014, 20:25
Hi Stan

Thanks for your help and your lightning fast postage to Jersey. I did look for the driver, just not in the right place!

Did you ever try a 12v power supply as was asked earlier in this thread? I have a Squeeze Upgrade 12V + SBooster and wondered if it would be suitable? If not, is there any consensus as to what is the best one?

Regards

Darren

struth
28-08-2014, 22:07
an aqvox linear should be perfect.. Ive got one and it fits fine..I have not bothered to use mine as I am happy enough with it as is.

Darren Cotter
29-08-2014, 06:53
Hi

Thanks for the advice, but they don't send to the channel islands. They send to France though, dick heads! This sort of thing is starting to get under my skin.

Regards

Darren

oldson
30-08-2014, 17:21
got one on the way.;)
will be interesting to compare to my hiface2

mmantra
31-08-2014, 15:29
Has anyone compared this to the Amanero unit? Would be interesting to know if the new chip and design pushes it ahead.

Ronald Tichelaar
04-09-2014, 08:07
Ordered one today to replace my HiFace Two.

oldson
05-09-2014, 17:32
its a bit late now that i have bought one, but does this unit provide galvanic isolation or would it benefit from a separate isolator?

StanleyB
05-09-2014, 17:47
its a bit late now that i have bought one, but does this unit provide galvanic isolation or would it benefit from a separate isolator?
Feel free to return it for a refund if you need one with galvanic isolation :).

oldson
05-09-2014, 18:11
Feel free to return it for a refund if you need one with galvanic isolation :).

no i dont think so Stan, i was just curious;)

would you like to buy a hiface2?

StanleyB
05-09-2014, 19:41
They fetch a good price on ebay.

oldson
05-09-2014, 19:58
They fetch a good price on ebay.

yeah hopefully get what i paid for the Asynch. (providing they dont look on here first, eh)