PDA

View Full Version : Maximum WAF = multicore in the home :)

PaulStewart
13-07-2014, 23:15
OK things have expanded a bit at Stewart Towers :) As i'm now writing the music reviews for the Express website and I'm getting a few SACDs and Pure Audio Blu-Rays for review I decided to sort out playing these through the Art Audio and the Tannoys rather than just through the A/V system. Also as i don't have enough space on the main Rack for the cassette deck, this has to be placed on the second A/V system rack too. The Mrs. is an angel when it comes to what I do with the HiFi, as long as she can play music on it and it sounds good she's happy. However, no woman wants 4 stereo pairs, an HDMI and TV and radio aerial cables snaking across the middle of the living room floor, so some time ago I put a pull line behind the IKEA Bonde units that run the length of one wall in our room. I did it originally to get the mains, aerial and surround speaker cables through. Today I added the HDMI cable for the TV which is mounted above the main rack so it can also serve as a screen for the MacMini Server as well as the being the TV.

At his point I had some Van Damme Blue studio multicore like this (http://www.van-damme.com/3.html) left over from connecting the edit suites together in my office. I pulled about six metres through behind the shelving having terminated it with Neutrik RCAs I also pulled the HDMI cable which has been trailed round the room for month's through the duct at the back of the shelves. Having plugged in all up and made sure everthing was as it should be I had a quick listen, on the Blu-Ray I played the Pure audio versions of Exile on Main Street and Amy's Back to Black and on the SACD Clapton's Journeyman and Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. All worked well, I found the cable to be very transparent, not adding to or taking away from the sound. I find although I can play SACDs on the Blu-Ray they sound better on the SCD-X790, as I find Red Book CD sound better on a good CDP than on the SACD player.

THe Mrs. is happy the room looks neater, and I'm more convinced than ever that although it may not be the pinnacle of esoteric cables, Van Damme is Damn fine stuff :) Please don't ask for pictures 'cos the whole point is its behind the shelves and hidden :lol: Also, I have a spare stereo pair left over, in case I get more stuff that need connecting.