PDA

View Full Version : NAD amplifiers

CageyH
13-07-2014, 09:16
What is the collective opinion of the NAD range of amps?
I'm looking at spending around £1k

walpurgis
13-07-2014, 09:38
Why does it have to be NAD Kevin?

If I was looking for an integrated amp at that sort of money, I'd probably buy a used Creek Destiny 2.

CageyH
13-07-2014, 09:41
It does not have to be a NAD.
I am just thinking out loud.

Macca
13-07-2014, 09:48
A lot of power and good current delivery for the money. But I noticed a while back that Rotel and Cyrus now offer similar priced amps that can pretty much double output into 4 ohms, as do XTZ. Not that that is the whole story but it is where I start with amplification. Were you looking at a power amp or an integrated?

CageyH
13-07-2014, 09:57
Ideally integrated.
I can't be bothered trying to match a pre with a power.

Floyddroid
13-07-2014, 11:00
The NAD amps of old were terrific. I attended a NAD evening a couple of years back at HIFISOUND in Stockton and their expensive stuff sounded amazing. Something i could quite happily use myself. Like so many other brands there is a stigma about using such brands and there always seems to be a better alternative. If you like the sound and what it does, brand image etc, go for it! I have a 3020 i use as a headphone amp and every once in a while i connect it up to the speakers and it blows me away.

The Barbarian
13-07-2014, 11:17
New Acoustic Dimension: '120'/'140'/'160'/Model '60'/Model 90'.. are for me

potatoha
13-07-2014, 11:20
If it has to be NAD & integrated, then I can highly recommend S300 (silverline series made by Gryphon). Arguably their best integrated ever IMO.

Anthony K
15-07-2014, 14:35
Have to second the S300 full bodied sound and detailed sound. I had 1 partnered with the S500 cd 7 years ago. Still got the cd in the loft.

Stratmangler
15-07-2014, 14:54
My C320BEE is a workhorse, and doesn't disgrace itself in far more exalted company.

AlexM
20-07-2014, 22:42
Seeing as we are considering more outre brands, how about the CA Azure 851A? I've heard it and thought it was a better - very good VFM too, and should be in your budget.

jandl100
21-07-2014, 07:30
If it has to be NAD & integrated, then I can highly recommend S300 (silverline series made by Gryphon). Arguably their best integrated ever IMO.

Have to second the S300 full bodied sound and detailed sound. I had 1 partnered with the S500 cd 7 years ago. Still got the cd in the loft.

Yep.

Here's mine! Photo taken yesterday. :)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF0095_zpsec2873b3.jpg

Following the arrival of my valvey amp (on the shelf above) the S300 is currently "resting".
But it's damn good and is going nowhere!
I know I'll want to return to the sandy side of the fence sometime in the foreseeable future, and the NAD S300 will be there waiting. :thumbsup:
Without doubt one of the best ss amps I've owned --- and simply streets ahead of the couple of other NAD amps I've (briefly) owned.

Floyddroid
21-07-2014, 21:54
Nice to see someone else with a Ming Da 368-BSE. Do you like it? I have one on for sale at the moment which i have decided not to. I put it back into the system the other day and realised it's a keeper. I must admit that mine has some tasty caps in it which really has pepped it up some. It's a cracking amp in my view and an underrated secret.
Yep.

Here's mine! Photo taken yesterday. :)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF0095_zpsec2873b3.jpg

Following the arrival of my valvey amp (on the shelf above) the S300 is currently "resting".
But it's damn good and is going nowhere!
I know I'll want to return to the sandy side of the fence sometime in the foreseeable future, and the NAD S300 will be there waiting. :thumbsup:
Without doubt one of the best ss amps I've owned --- and simply streets ahead of the couple of other NAD amps I've (briefly) owned.

jandl100
22-07-2014, 07:20
Nice to see someone else with a Ming Da 368-BSE. Do you like it? I have one on for sale at the moment which i have decided not to. I put it back into the system the other day and realised it's a keeper. I must admit that mine has some tasty caps in it which really has pepped it up some. It's a cracking amp in my view and an underrated secret.

Hmm. Interesting.

Mine doesn't seem to need pepping up - I think it's marvellous already! :) Mine's a Ming Da UK version, I don't know if that makes any difference? :scratch:
EDIT: just seen your ad, yours is a UK version, too.
Fair enough - but I am as happy as a pig in poo with my standard version, if such it is. My speakers are a very easy drive, or maybe I'm easily pleased!
Maybe I'll get it upped when the KT90s need replacing.

Marco and David / snapper heard it the day after it arrived chez-Jerry, a couple of weeks back, and I reckon they were impressed. ;)

My boxswapping ways seem to be in decline .... I reckon I could happily live with it for the long term.

User211
22-07-2014, 07:45
My boxswapping ways seem to be in decline .... I reckon I could happily live with it for the long term.

What? Somebody call a doctor. Jerry must be feeling off colour:)

jandl100
22-07-2014, 07:58
Yeah, it's a bit distressing. :scratch:

User211
22-07-2014, 08:12
Run out of things you can box swap to I reckon.

Floyddroid
22-07-2014, 21:27
Mine even drives my power hungry Tannoy D900's. It's a hell of an amp. Thank god i come to my senses before i let it go. BTW, it does make all the difference it being a UK device. Good to see a fellow user enjoying there's too. It has actually stopped me swapping boxes. Now when i need a valve fix i just unplug my SS behemoth and pop the Ming Da in.:)
Hmm. Interesting.

Mine doesn't seem to need pepping up - I think it's marvellous already! :) Mine's a Ming Da UK version, I don't know if that makes any difference? :scratch:
EDIT: just seen your ad, yours is a UK version, too.
Fair enough - but I am as happy as a pig in poo with my standard version, if such it is. My speakers are a very easy drive, or maybe I'm easily pleased!
Maybe I'll get it upped when the KT90s need replacing.

Marco and David / snapper heard it the day after it arrived chez-Jerry, a couple of weeks back, and I reckon they were impressed. ;)

Geoff101
25-07-2014, 08:02
I had a NAD 317 integrated for a few years which I thought was very good for the money. I was always surprised how well it stood up against more exotic competition when I plugged it back in. Really nice soundstage and imaging. Good bass control and loads of power.
I'm was less impressed with their budget offerings (3020 etc) as I felt they were bettered by Creek's 4040.