PDA

View Full Version : WANTED - EXTERNAL PSU FOR 301 or help getting someone to make me one...

Wakefield Turntables
07-07-2014, 20:23
I'm now besotted with my 301 again and would like to upgrade the PSU, I've seen the Martin Bastin PSU's but trying to get a hold of one is like finding hens teeth. I wondered if anyone could recommend me a universal PSU that I might try or if anyone would be prepared to build one for me.. ??:eek:

Ammonite Audio
08-07-2014, 09:40
Have you spoken to Deco Audio? I would simply order a Bastin PSU and then wait patiently for it to be made. My Bastin PSU is useful with my TD-124 for adjusting speed without relying on too much eddy braking - the Thorens seems to like full mains voltage (or at least 220v) with just a touch of eddy braking, but then runs too fast, so dialling down the output frequency of the Bastin PSU brings the speed down nicely.

Wakefield Turntables
08-07-2014, 10:00
No I have not spoken to deco audio but this is the site that peaked my interest. No one seems to use external supplies with their 301's or 401's and the ones which are on sale seem to be quite steeply priced. Do I buy several cheaper versions with lesser spec and compare them or just go the whole hog and buy a Martin bastin? It seems that his psu is the best from reports on the net.

Wakefield Turntables
08-07-2014, 10:04
Just spoke to deco audio, not very helpful, it was if they wanted me off the phone rather than try and coax money out of my wallet:steam:

awkwardbydesign
08-07-2014, 12:11
I've just received my PCB for this, and I believe it works with the 301. Probably a bit more work than you want, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
Nigel's Speed Controller- http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=16910.0

The Barbarian
08-07-2014, 14:38
You will soon realise why a lot of people prefer the 'TD124'

Wakefield Turntables
08-07-2014, 14:48
I've just received my PCB for this, and I believe it works with the 301. Probably a bit more work than you want, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
Nigel's Speed Controller- http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=16910.0

I forgot about this project, thanks! It's not beyond my skill set and the parts are pretty easy to purchase,I need to do a little more reading around before I commit.

Primalsea
08-07-2014, 15:07
I have no idea of the cost of commercial PS for your turntable but would a PS Audio mains regenerator be considerably more? It will also supply your other hifi as well.

jaym481
08-07-2014, 19:34
I have no idea of the cost of commercial PS for your turntable but would a PS Audio mains regenerator be considerably more? It will also supply your other hifi as well.

I have my 401 on a P600 with the voltage set to 220V, but if you want a "controller" you'll need the Bastin one, the eye-watering Loricraft or that Lenco DIY job. One of the LH guys runs his 401 with one.

Wakefield Turntables
08-07-2014, 19:55

I have the grand daddy of all PS Audio regenerators, the P10 :D So, any external PSU would be running through that to give a nice clean power supply.

I have my 401 on a P600 with the voltage set to 220V, but if you want a "controller" you'll need the Bastin one, the eye-watering Loricraft or that Lenco DIY job. One of the LH guys runs his 401 with one.

Martin Bastin, temporarily isn't making his external PSU, I'm not paying the price wanted by Loricraft, so it looks like the Lenco Heaven version wins. This could be my next project :eek:

Ali Tait
08-07-2014, 20:55
You could ask Nick to build you one.

KevinF
10-07-2014, 20:41
No I have not spoken to deco audio but this is the site that peaked my interest. No one seems to use external supplies with their 301's or 401's and the ones which are on sale seem to be quite steeply priced. Do I buy several cheaper versions with lesser spec and compare them or just go the whole hog and buy a Martin bastin? It seems that his psu is the best from reports on the net.

Loricraft PSU works well with my 401.

Recommended.

PaulStewart
10-07-2014, 21:16
if you wan the best, it's the Nigel Pearson designed Loricaft/Garrard all the others are also rans I'm afraid.

KevinF
11-07-2014, 20:30
Poor chap is not well, but still working and still inventing. A real trooper.