PDA

View Full Version : New PF album? The endless river...

RichB
05-07-2014, 19:25
http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/pink-floyd-to-release-new-album-the-endless-river-in-october/

DanJennings
06-07-2014, 09:08
I'm not optimistic... apparently it's based on rejects from The Division Bell and On An Island sessions, sounds like a mediocre money spinner to me...

To be honest though I'm not keen on anything post Roger Waters... Momentary Lapse had a couple of good songs on it, and Division Bell is dull dull dull.

Covenant
06-07-2014, 09:23
I'm not optimistic... apparently it's based on rejects from The Division Bell and On An Island sessions, sounds like a mediocre money spinner to me...

To be honest though I'm not keen on anything post Roger Waters... Momentary Lapse had a couple of good songs on it, and Division Bell is dull dull dull.
Don't agree-Marooned is a lovely track. I am keeping an open mind on this and will buy it anyway as I miss Richard Wright.

RichB
06-07-2014, 09:25
I remain hopeful... Ultimately it will be music made by old blokes for old blokes so I know what you mean. Nonetheless I can still find things to love in the DG and post waters PF catalogue.

The cynical money spinners IMHO were the endless reissues of old stuff which I refused to buy into. You'd expect any new stuff bearing the PF name to be of a standard and if they could cajole old misery guts into a guest appearance it might be worth the money.

The Black Adder
06-07-2014, 09:52

Spot on... Yes, Division Bell had a couple of nice moments but on a whole it was dull and a little contrived to my ears. The artwork was better then the album. I'm hopeful that the new PF album will rinse away the Division Bell from my mind but it does sound a bit weak.

Best thing Gilmore has done in recent years to my ears was Metallic Spheres which was with The Orb. But then I'm a fan of Orb anyway lol...

Covenant
09-11-2014, 16:42
Received my cd of The Endless River today and despite all the dire predictions I think it is a fine PF album. It only has one track with lyrics by DG's wife so not much to cringe about. Lots of lovely typical PF sounds with soaring guitar cords and strong keyboards from RW. More ambient music than previous PF stuff.That suits me.
Only problem is the last three tracks won't rip. I may be sending it back and getting a new copy.

Covenant
10-11-2014, 08:35
If you are unsure, here is a review from the Guardian that I think is pretty fair:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/09/pink-floyd-endless-river-review

RichB
10-11-2014, 09:44
Couldn't wait for my vinyl to turn up...

First listen now via Spotify.

sparrow
10-11-2014, 22:19
Beautiful album and a fine way to put Floyd to bed...the thing I would like to see is some classic live shows put out officially ..they do exist.

walpurgis
10-11-2014, 22:48
Hmm. Not sure whether it'll appeal to me. Gilmore's 'On an Island' was dire and an awful recording/production to boot, 'The Division Bell, is as Dan says, dull. And this new release is supposedly, largely a rehash of old stuff. Not promising.

Reffc
10-11-2014, 23:19
I agree with you Geoff. Much prefer Walters solo creations to the flowery muzac Gilmore seems to have churned out since DB. Cant help think it is no more than a way to make money from the tracks not considered good enough tp make it onto division bell. I'll keep an open mind until I listen to it on Spotify. PF haven't really produced anything thats gripped me since Walters left.

Haselsh1
11-11-2014, 15:05
Who's 'Walters'...?

Mika K
12-11-2014, 18:31
I agree with you Geoff. Much prefer Walters solo creations to the flowery muzac Gilmore seems to have churned out since DB. Cant help think it is no more than a way to make money from the tracks not considered good enough tp make it onto division bell. I'll keep an open mind until I listen to it on Spotify. PF haven't really produced anything thats gripped me since Walters left.
Have been listening this few times now and couldn't agree more. This sounds so predictable and brings nothing new to their discography. I guess will still try to get into it few times from Spotify and then move on without buying it as vinyl..

The Black Adder
12-11-2014, 19:17
I was never a fan of The Division Bell. I thought it was really quite contrived as a 'Pink Floyd' album. I've been listening to 'The Endless River' and I dunno... I think they might have released the wrong album back in 93 was it?... lol That is to say, it's (IMO) a better album...

Will I buy it?... Hmm, not sure. Probably not... but it's O.K.

I'm going to hide behind the sofa now... lol

Tarzan
13-11-2014, 09:59
Just finished listening to The Endless River and it pains me to say l actually enjoyed it.:):)

jandl100
13-11-2014, 10:09
I've played ER 3 times now and enjoy it more each time. It's a 'grower'.

I suspect it's a good, but not great, album.

CageyH
13-11-2014, 19:18
I also think it's good.
It's not their best, but it's enjoyable all the same.

Floyddroid
16-11-2014, 14:03
http://progmeister.com/pink-floyd-endless-river-vinyl

Marco
16-11-2014, 17:45
Gilmore's 'On an Island' was dire and an awful recording/production to boot...

Have you got a Russian bootleg or something, daftee? On my system, ‘On an Island’ is pretty much audiophile quality! :exactly:

What gives, dude? :scratch:

Marco.

Reffc
16-11-2014, 19:40
Just had a chance to listen to the album all the way through today. Must admit I was really disappointed with it. I had the CD version and the production (mastering) seemed woeful, but not as woeful as the music itself. Wispy instrumentals with little imho to recommend over the earlier Division Bell which I preferred. This just smacks of re-hashing the stuff that wasn't deemed good enough at the time for Division Bell. It seems to have little original or new artistic merit. You can almost hear the conversation "lets assemble all the old tracks and package them with some pretty cover art and it'll sell".

Much preferred Waters' "Amused to Death" album that I heard recently for the first time. The balance of Gilmore/Waters seems lost with both solo careers tbh. Pink Floyd without Waters just isn't Pink Floyd for me. Water's on his own can be dark and missing the lighter balance and influence of Gilmore, but on balance, I prefer his stuff.

Macca
17-11-2014, 12:45
It's 35 years since they last made a really good album (The Wall). I know it seems like it was last week (it does to me) but you can't expect too much from them now. I remember arguing the toss with a school friend when Momentary Lapse came out. He reckoned it was not Floyd without Waters and refused to buy it or even listen to it. Funny how the same argument still going three decades later.

Jimbo
01-12-2014, 12:55
Just listened to the new Floyd album and I have to say I was impressed and may even buy it!

I was not a fan of anything the Floyd released after Waters left the band as I agree with a few others on here - the best Floyd stuff only happened when Waters and Gilmour were producing stuff together.

I thought the production was very good and some of the references to much older material were touchingly nostalgic. Reminded me of why I started to listen to the Floyd back in 1975. Some of the music references have been done very subtly and Rick Wrights keyboard parts have been sensitively woven into the music.

Ok its not DSOTM or Wish You Were Here but there are many parts that sound classic Floyd.

Barry
01-12-2014, 14:45
Just listened to the new Floyd album and I have to say I was impressed and may even buy it!

I was not a fan of anything the Floyd released after Waters left the band as I agree with a few others on here - the best Floyd stuff only happened when Waters and Gilmour were producing stuff together.

I thought the production was very good and some of the references to much older material were touchingly nostalgic. Reminded me of why I started to listen to the Floyd back in 1975. Some of the music references have been done very subtly and Rick Wrights keyboard parts have been sensitively woven into the music.

Ok its not DSOTM or Wish You Were Here but there are many parts that sound classic Floyd.

I'm inclined to agree. Basically I started to lose interest in the Floyd after 'Animals' and 'The Wall'. When Waters left the band, I had no interest in what the rest of the band did. Since then I have heard 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' and 'The Division Bell' but find nothing on these two albums for me to want a copy.

Again, I agree with you James regarding the references to earlier material, they are indeed nostalgic and very enjoyable (I have been a fan of PF since hearing Arnold Layne and seeing the Floyd with Syd Barrett in 1967). I also think that Rick Wright was never given the recognition he deserved and I was greatly saddened to hear of his death. His solo albums didn't, IMO, do him justice; he was at his best when playing with the Floyd, so I could well end up buying this album.

It was never going to be an outstanding album - and the cynical could say the Floyd, sans Waters, are milking it for all it's worth (Nicky Mason's collection of Maseratis must take some upkeep! :eyebrows:) - but it does have that early PF nostalgia.

Would I want the LP(s)? Probably not – I’ll wait until the CD version comes out! :sofa:

YNWaN
01-12-2014, 14:50
I must say I was deeply unimpressed with this album and it sounded, to me, just as if it were the sweepings from the cutting room floor - which isn't very far from what it actually is. If someone had told me it had been recorded by a Floyd tribute act it would have been easy to believe.

struth
01-12-2014, 15:25
i liked their original album with arnold lane and dsotm and then the wall. but other than that not a big fan tbh. i have tried to be though. not heard this one yet and judging by marks comment i probably wont bother. would like to fink my original A Lane album again. forgotten the name. it and genesis first album were 2 of my favs

Roy S
01-12-2014, 15:39
i liked their original album with arnold lane and dsotm and then the wall. but other than that not a big fan tbh. i have tried to be though. not heard this one yet and judging by marks comment i probably wont bother. would like to fink my original A Lane album again. forgotten the name. it and genesis first album were 2 of my favs

Arnold Layne (their first single) was on Relics which was an early compilation (1971)

Macca
01-12-2014, 16:48
). I also think that Rick Wright was never given the recognition he deserved and I was greatly saddened to hear of his death. His solo albums didn't, IMO, do him justice; he was at his best when playing with the Floyd, so I could well end up buying this album.

Not sure about the recognition. He did spend pretty much his entire adult life as a multi-millionaire and every Floyd fan in the world knows who he was. So he did a couple of slightly crappy solo albums. So did Gilmour and Waters.

struth
01-12-2014, 17:03
Arnold Layne (their first single) was on Relics which was an early compilation (1971)

Yeah Relics was good. Dont know what happened to mine...might get the cd

Barry
01-12-2014, 17:50
Not sure about the recognition. He did spend pretty much his entire adult life as a multi-millionaire and every Floyd fan in the world knows who he was. So he did a couple of slightly crappy solo albums. So did Gilmour and Waters.

Wouldn't disagree with you regarding his wealth - obviously he enjoyed and benefitted from the overall success of PF, as did all the members. However I still think he lived in the shadow of Waters and Gilmore.

I like Gilmore's first, eponymous, solo album.

Andrei
01-12-2014, 20:09
Wouldn't disagree with you regarding his wealth - obviously he enjoyed and benefitted from the overall success of PF, as did all the members. However I still think he lived in the shadow of Waters and Gilmore.

I like Gilmore's first, eponymous, solo album.
I wish someone would put out an album entitled "eponymous".

Stratmangler
01-12-2014, 20:27
I wish someone would put out an album entitled "eponymous".

Ahem!!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51T7KeScHzL.jpg

Andrei
01-12-2014, 20:48
Ahem!!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51T7KeScHzL.jpg

Well I'll be jiggered!

struth
01-12-2014, 20:56
Well I'll be jiggered!

Hopefully offsite :eyebrows:

Andrei
01-12-2014, 21:01
Hopefully offsite :eyebrows:
I'm looking for my camera this very minute.

Quadraphonic
06-12-2014, 21:23
Hi, I've not heard this yet, how does it compare to the old PF sound? On a slightly different note, does anyone know if the old Alan Parsons Quad mix of DSOTM is going to be put out on SACD? I've got the Quad LP, and although it decodes very well indeed, it would be good to have it as a totally discreet SACD.

Any takers?

Richard

Macca
06-12-2014, 22:42
Hi, I've not heard this yet, how does it compare to the old PF sound? On a slightly different note, does anyone know if the old Alan Parsons Quad mix of DSOTM is going to be put out on SACD? I've got the Quad LP, and although it decodes very well indeed, it would be good to have it as a totally discreet SACD.

Any takers?

Richard

According to this thread it is available although not entirely 'legally':

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/pink-floyd-dsotm-4-1-alan-parsons-quadmix-dvd-a.26535/