PDA

View Full Version : WTB: JICO VN35HE S.A.S. STYLUS for SHURE V-15 III

Wakefield Turntables
05-07-2014, 13:25
Has anyone got one for sale. If not, can anyone recommend a decent ebay trader, I've tried 2juki and he aint got one in stock:(

Monty
05-07-2014, 17:07
I have an original boxed VN35MR available.

Wakefield Turntables
05-07-2014, 18:08
Paul,

Can you send me a PM with details, pics, and cost?

Thanks

Andy

DSJR
05-07-2014, 19:09
FFS GRAB IT and forget all about the SAS version!

The 'HE' and later 'MR' styli transformed the V15 III, the hard-hitting upper mid quality being rather tamed and the treble becoming far more 'delicate,' if a V15 III could ever be called such (it's 'accurate' rather than romantic and won't ever put a halo around things as other cartridges used to do). I'm green :D

Shure suspensions seem long lived and when the MR diamond expires, ESCo may be able to re-tip it to advantage...

jaym481
05-07-2014, 19:45
If a Jico stays on your radar, have you considered direct from them? They used to be pretty quick, but that was pre-quake, so I can't say how things are now.

Wakefield Turntables
05-07-2014, 20:07
Looks like I might have MR coming my way if its in decent nick!

ninedecks
06-07-2014, 11:32
I was looking at the Jico website a little while ago, it didn't occur to me to check sellers on Ebay. I've just looked, some of the prices are out of kilter by up to $200. Way cheaper to buy direct from Jico site.
Dave

DSJR
06-07-2014, 13:00
Certainly with the LATER V15 models, the V series and 97 relatives anyway, the whole performance compromise was a combination of resonances as well as cantilever/diamond tip mass etc.. The SAS styli for these DO alter these original compromises rather. I'm NOT suggesting in the slightest that the SAS ones are in any way inferior, but the balance of virtues that Shure compromised together will be altered audibly if the 97 SAS is anything to go by .

Another excellent source for a straight-forward 'Era III' stylus is Ed Saunders. His aren't silly money, have excellent diamonds on (I have an ED N55E and the tip is superb, far better than the bit of badly polished coal Shure fitted originally!) and the performance is very close indeed to the original VN35, any deviation well within production tolerance I believe. These SOUND the same as an original VN35E too, which still won't be as subtle as the HE or MR.

Just thought I'd mention it chaps...

jaym481
06-07-2014, 20:06
Just a word about Ed Saunders - the company kept his name, but he is retired. Details are sparse, but it doesn't look like his departure was an easy one. In any case, the new management has a different philosophy, so I'm not sure the ES styli can be relied on for consistency as they were in the past. That said, they aren't costly, so could be worth a punt anyway.